Consumer Reports July 1973 Medium-Priced Loudspeakers Test and Rankings

Treker

This is my second posting from my archive of Consumer Reports magazines from the Golden Age of Audio, the late '60's, '70's, and early '80's. My first posting was from the May 1970 Loudspeaker Report and Rankings. If you are interested in reading that first posting and its attached PDF of the original CR article, click on the following link:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=484524

Below are a few selected quotes from this latest article, but just like last time I would recommend reading the complete article in order to put the comments in their full and proper context. A PDF copy of the full article can be found at the end of this post. And now to the article...

Medium-Priced Loudspeakers

“With any loudspeakers, horns will blare and drums will roll and the human voice may soar. But how accurately that do so depends on the choice of the right speaker. That choice is broad- the large, floor-standing speakers that were standard about two decades ago have long since been supplemented by a host of compact models.”

“For home audio systems, loudspeakers priced at $100 or so and measuring roughly a foot square by two feet high seem to be the most popular on today's market. You can get smaller ones, and for less money. But you give up something with those models. Having, as a rule, smaller components, they're apt to produce bass tones that are less deep and strong than those of larger speakers, and play music less loudly without distortion of the sound or damage to the speaker.
The 20 loudspeakers tested for this report range in list price from about $85 to $120. Cabinets of all the speakers have a walnut finish; typical dimensions are close to 2 x 1 x 1 feet, with some notable exceptions: the EPI, the AR-6 and the Rectilinear are substantially smaller, and the Advent and the Lafayette, which are a bit bigger than most.”

How well they reproduced

“Ideally, loudspeakers should respond to the entire spectrum of musical sound, from the deep bass of organ or tuba to the treble of triangle or cymbal. That span represents a musical range ascending from about 30 Hz (cycles per second) to some 15,000 Hz, within which most instruments produce their fundamental tones and overtones. We looked for speakers that would reproduce that broad range of sound smoothly and uniformly, without emphasizing or slighting any part of the range-or, in technical terms, for speakers with “flat response.” An engineer's plotting of flat response looks like a plateau. There are no peaks or depressions (the exaggeration or suppression of certain sounds) or roll-off (diminution of all output beyond certain frequencies). In short, a loudspeaker should not color the sound it reproduces-though coloring that does no violence to the music may be agreeable to some listeners.
Loudspeakers with those characteristics have high accuracy: the desirable ability to change an electrical input signal into sound that corresponds exactly to it. And, since differences in musical taste make it hard for audiophiles to agree how a good speaker should sound, accuracy, carefully defined, is one of the few objective standards by which to judge speakers.”

“By and large, the quality of these speakers proved to be high indeed. At their best, all did a satisfactory job of reproducing the segment of the musical spectrum that is most critical to listening enjoyment: from below the vital, mid-frequency range, which determines most instruments' basic character, to highs of about 10,000 Hz or so. Best of the lot were the EPI and Fairfax, with accuracy scores of 89 per cent-just 11 per cent short of perfect. Moreover, the Scott S10B and the ADC 303B managed to combine high accuracy with a low price ($85).”

“As we've said, a high-accuracy speaker, by definition, adds little coloring to the music it reproduces. Differences between high- and medium-accuracy speakers might be likened to differences between two panes of transparent glass-one perfectly clear, and the other slightly tinted. You can hear through the 'tint' of a medium-accuracy speaker well enough, though things sound just a little different-and perhaps better to you-than through an 'untinted' speaker. So it's possible you might like the sound quality of even the Altec and the least accurate of the tested speakers, the Lafayette; none of the listeners on CU's panel was of the opinion that the coloration introduced by them was either unmusical or undesirable.
Be that as it may, high-accuracy speakers offered an objectively better combination of wide sound range and smooth response than models with a lower accuracy score. That's not to say that any of the tested models sounded exactly alike-not even units with identical scores for accuracy, since their deviations from accurate reproduction did not occur at identical points in the audio spectrum.”

“The bigger a speaker or the more internal elements is has, the better should be its ability to handle the sound spectrum. But don't bet on it. The Fairfax earned top marks for accuracy with just two elements, while the six-element Lafayette was the least accurate of the tested speakers.”

“If you could listen to all the speakers CU tested, you'd almost certainly prefer some models to others-even among those scored as equal in accuracy. The best way to learn whether a loudspeaker's sound suits your particular taste is to audition the speaker in the room where you'd install it. Some audio shops may let you take the speakers home for a brief try-out. But chances are you'll have to decide on the basis of less-than-perfect conditions in a showroom, so look for a dealer whose listening room is insulated from the noise of traffic and the buzzing of shoppers. Look for a rooms whose listening arrangements allow almost instant switching from one speaker to the other; direct comparison is indispensable, since auditory memory is notoriously short. And never compare more than two speakers at a time.”

The listening tests

“The ear responds chiefly to variations in sound pressure present at the eardrum. That pressure, which varies with frequency, represents a complex interaction of the ear, the acoustic environment (the listening room) and the sound power radiated by the loudspeaker. So it was important to learn whether listeners would hear the differences between speakers that our laboratory tests pointed to. Had we found clear contradictions between the laboratory measurements and the judgments of a listening panel, we would have reassessed our test methods.”

“Did CU's measurements of power response permit predicting, with reasonable success, how our panel of listeners would judge loudspeaker accuracy? We think so.”

RATINGS OF MEDIUM-PRICED LOUDSPEAKERS
Listed in order of ability to reproduce sound accurately; models of equal accuracy are listed alphabetically. Differences of about 8% or less in accuracy scores are not likely to be detected by ear (see story); regardless of scores, no two speakers sounded exactly alike. Prices are list, rounded to the nearest dollar, for single speakers with walnut-finish cabinets; discounts are generally available.

ACCEPTABLE

EPI 100 - accuracy 89%

FAIRFAX FX 300 - accuracy 89%

MARANTZ IMPERIAL 5G - accuracy 88%

SCOTT S15 - accuracy 87%

ADVENT - accuracy 85%

REALISTIC OPTIMUS 5 - accuracy 85%

DYNACO A35 - accuracy 84%

SCOTT S10B - accuracy 84%

ADC 303B - accuracy 83%

JENSEN 4 - accuracy 83%

AR-6 - accuracy 82%

JVC VS5322 - accuracy 81%

FISHER XP65B - accuracy 80%

PIONEER CSR300 - accuracy 80%

ADC 3O3AX - accuracy 79%

RECTILINEAR MINI III - accuracy 78%

BOZAK SONORA B201 - accuracy 77%

KLH THRITY-THREE - accuracy 77%

ALTEC CORONA 893B - accuracy 75%

LAFAYETTE CRITERION VI - accuracy 71%

I hope that you have found this article interesting. I, for one, will now be keeping my eyes wide open for a pair of Fairfax FX 300 speakers, as well as pair of EPI 100's, which I know are fairly well thought of already here on the AK forums. As luck would have it, I picked up a pair of Marantz Imperial 5G's at a local thrift a while back. I think they are moving up in my project list and are going to get a cabinet refurb and a new set of caps pretty soon. I am very interested to see how they compare sound wise to my much loved Dynaco A25's.

The link to the PDF for this full article is below.

Attachments

• CR Speakers Article - July 1973.pdf
    543 KB · Views: 288
Thanks. I've been looking at old articles, especially those that mentioned tube powered stereos and the speakers they used. A trip down memory lane is a good thing from time to time.

Thanks for posting another. I love this stuff.

I'm surprised to see the Bozak Sonora rating so-low on that list (although they all seemed to rate quite-well, it seems). I've heard from two people who have those (one being an AK member), and they both like the Sonoras A LOT.

I need to hunt down some early to mid '60's issues of the big audio magazines. Late '50's too. There were some amazing speakers made in those days (back when all the big, legendary speaker-designers were around).

Last edited:
Thanks for posting another. I love this stuff.

I'm surprised to see the Bozak Sonora rating so-low on that list (although they all seemed to rate quite-well, it seems). I've heard from two people who have those (one being an AK member), and they both like the Sonoras A LOT.

There were limitations to these reviews. Later on they showed frequency response curves, bass distortion ratings and even suggested tone control adjustments.

I think these ratings are best understood as suggestions for people who ARE NOT into the hobby, for whom this is their 1st speaker buy. Certainly if you got the top 3, (EPI, Fairfax, Marantz) heck even the top 10 you probably wouldn't go to far wrong which may be a reflection on the quality of speakers back then.

Surprised the Fairfax ranked so high on the list. They were just run of the mill generic speakers with the typical CTS drivers in them like the Scotts, Lafayette Criterions, Marantz Imperials, Fisher XP's etc.

I liked them but they were just kind of average speakers of the era IMO.

I posted on your public profile as well but I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share these articles. They are so fascinating! Please keep 'em coming!

There were limitations to these reviews. Later on they showed frequency response curves, bass distortion ratings and even suggested tone control adjustments.

I think these ratings are best understood as suggestions for people who ARE NOT into the hobby, for whom this is their 1st speaker buy. Certainly if you got the top 3, (EPI, Fairfax, Marantz) heck even the top 10 you probably wouldn't go to far wrong which may be a reflection on the quality of speakers back then.

You have a very good point. Personally, I think of these reviews as a place to start when looking for what vintage speakers to keep my eyes open for. If I get a chance to pick up any of these other speakers, I will give them a listen (after restoration of course) and then let my own ears decide which ones I like best.

However, as you point out, it is good to keep in mind who the target audience was for these reviews. Not people in the audio hobby, but just your average Joe or Jane looking to put a good quality system together at a reasonable price. And for this they were invaluable, and I think served their purpose very well.

I think we would also have to admit that these reviews had an impact on the marketplace back in the day, and affected the sales success or lack thereof of many products. A CR "Best Buy" ranking could mean sales gold to a product's manufacturer.

And these CR rankings even affect us down to this very day, as the products that were sold in great numbers back in the day are now available to us in greater numbers than they would likely have been had they not been rated favorably by CR. Of course, not everyone read CR back in the day, but I think they did have an affect on the marketplace. (For example, look at all the companies that CU took to task for using their name without permission in their advertising after they received a favorable review.) For instance, I doubt that we would have as many Dynaco A25's available in the marketplace today had it not been in part to their "Best Buy" ranking in CR back in 1970.

Ah yes, I remember it well.

I own two of these models (among many others) and I'm familiar with several others.

KLH Model 6 was my first real loudspeaker. It struck me as an excellent sounding speaker, among the best in its day. What it lacked was the deepest bass of AR3/3a but otherwise sounded far more musical, far better treble. Its bass was not bad at all, in fact quite remarkable for it day and certainly at its price. I now own 2 pairs.

A few years ago I restored a pair of AR2axs and my opinion of them changed drastically. In their day, I did not think much of them. I never like their muted muffled high end. Careful use of an equalizer which wasn't available back in the 60s and early 70s demonstrated to me that they are an outstanding reproducer, very accurate, very wide range. Just badly balanced, the woofer had overwhelmed everything. Today I'd have to say they are better than KLH model 6.

I never thought much of the Dynaco speakers.

University was a manufacturer of horn type speakers and many home speakers including some fairly ambitious models. 3 way floor standing 15" units in beautiful cabinets. University got bouught out by another manufacturer which is why you never hear about them anymore.

Lafayette Radio was a retailer with one of the best stores to go to. Their store on Liberty Avenue in Jamaica Queens was only second to their main store in Syosset LI. They had a huge catalog that came out every year. They sold practically every major brand of audio equipment including Marantz and McIntosh. They also sold mail order. They had a great catalog that came out every year. It included thousands and thousands of items including anything you would want or need as an electronics hobbyist, microscopes, telescopes, all types of scientific apparatus, and hobbyist items and toys. They had wonderful listening rooms where you could audition and compare all the major brands. I was very sorry to see them go. Their own brand name products were generally poor but there were some notable exceptions. The only speaker of note with their name on it used Heil Air Motion Transformers.

ADC was originally a speaker company. The 303X was I think their TOTL. It had a bright sound as I recall. Most of their models were small and inexpensive. I wasn't particularly impressed.

One speaker that was not mentioned that made it into the sound system I wish I owned in Popular Electronics Magazine was Rectilinear III. I think it was Julian Hirsch or someone in High Fidelity Magazine who said it sounded like a dead ringer for the Quads except with better bass.

Treker, Great article. I just scored some Imperial 5g's that need restored. What size are the Caps? I know the Imperial 6s are 7.0 but I can't find any info on the 5G's.
Also, one woofer sounds weak. This will be my first time diving into a speaker so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I remember these CR ratings. They were controversial back in the day. All they really tell you is how smooth the frequency response is. I prefer smoother sounding speakers and consequently found them helpful but not definitive. Some questioned CRs methodology in measuring frequency response. It is not surprising that speakers from EPI, Allison, Avid, and Boston Acoustics consistently scored high. I have a Human Speakers Model 81, which is an updated EPI 100, and can see why the EPI 100 got a high rating. I also have two pairs of NHT speakers, which would probably also do well if tested by CR today. I used to have a Boston Acoustics A70, another speaker that scored high with CR. I regret selling it. The ratings do not take into account subjective preferences. Some people may actually prefer certain colorations. My own experience is that colored speakers do not wear well and are fatiguing to listen to in the long run. Loudspeakers are the least perfect component in any system. Even the best loudspeaker has a frequency response that would be unacceptable in an amplifier, for example. Consequently, a speaker should have as flat a frequency response as possible. But this hobby is ultimately about listening enjoyment. Everybody hears things differently, which explains why there are so many speaker brands out there in what is increasingly a small niche market. So if colored, inaccurate speakers float your boat, then go for it.

Last edited:
With CR- the ones they found "good", usually DID sound at least good.

It's just sometimes, the ones they found "bad"- sometimes were also good. Sometimes better than the ones they rated as "good".

As Daniel R. Von Recklinghausen famously said:

"If it measures good and sounds bad, -- it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, -- you've measured the wrong thing."

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom