JEC TC 760 LC Phono preamp

vintage 5.0

vintage 5.0
Subscriber
Has anyone used one of these. I got one from a buddy. It was not expensive so I was not expecting much. My other phono pre was nothing at all. Anyway I was suprised it sounded pretty good for the price. I played Tom Pettys Southern Accents and it sounded pretty nice for what I paid. Just curious if anyone has used one of these.

I have the 754, which is a phono pre with 3 additional line level inputs that I use with my 1 input tube amp. I think it sounds pretty good, but I don't have any experience with higher end phono pres. For the price I certainly can't complain.

Yes, I have one. It stays in the closet most of the time these days, but it is a solid and musical preamp for a great price. It's also flexible, in that you can use it with two turntables as long as one has a MM cart and the other a LOMC cart.

G'day all, is this JEC TC 760 LC Phono preamp the basically same unit as the 'TCC' TC-760?

I have the similar circuit TCC TC-750 and regard it highly, especially with a pure battery 12 volt DC power supply. Regards, Felix aka catman.

Last edited:
Good day to you Felix! Here's the link to the 760LC...
http://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-760LCpp.html

...and here's a shot of the inside...

TC-760LCb.jpg

G'day mate, do I see an IC (op amp) in there? The general circuitry might be somewhat different then, as the TC-750 is discrete transistor circuitry only. Interesting. Regards, Felix aka catman.

I have the 754, which is a phono pre with 3 additional line level inputs that I use with my 1 input tube amp. I think it sounds pretty good, but I don't have any experience with higher end phono pres. For the price I certainly can't complain.

I also have the 754, which I use with my Mav TubeMagic D1 Plus. Sounds good, at least better than the low cost pre-amp I used to have, and for the price, sounds good. And, between the 754 and the D1 Plus, I have have multiple digital and analog possibilities.

Yes, and notice how they filed the numbers off of it. Pretty sneaky!
I'd don't know enough about circuit layout to tell, but it may be there for the extra gain needed in the MC section, or have something to do with the output level control.

Yes, and notice how they filed the numbers off of it. Pretty sneaky!
I'd don't know enough about circuit layout to tell, but it may be there for the extra gain needed in the MC section, or have something to do with the output level control.

They probably got rid of the numbers because it might be a JRC 4580, a bulk/cheap opamp that can do audio but isn't best suited for it.

Caveat Emptor - TC-760LC Hum

First post, not counting the introductions thread.

I have a TC-760LC that I purchased with the intent to run an Audio-Technica AT30E that I acquired very, very inexpensively as NOS. I read several good reviews, some of them on AK, and decided to take the plunge. Ever since I've had it there has been a pervasive 60Hz hum in one or both channels that hasn't been remedied by any usual means (i.e. grounding, moving it away from other electronics and appliances, etc). It's loud enough most of the time to overpower the quieter passages on most records, and can be discerned even on the loudest cuts. It is more noticeable in some outlets over others, and repositioning the unit doesn't seem to have much effect. It is present in both the MM and MC, regardless of if it is hooked up to a turntable or not, although it tends to be more prominent on the MC setting. For some reason, holding the power cord at roughly mid-length seems to at least partially eliminate the problem.

So, long story short it might hum and I don't have a way of troubleshooting it yet.

G'day all, yes the switch mode wall wart might be responsible. A pure 12 volt battery power supply will certainly prove that in one way or the other and work much better too. :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.

Hmm, I just took a measurement with a DMM from the wallwart power supply, and apparently there's about 450mV of AC coming out of it!:eek: Definitely getting a new power supply when I have the time, likely going with Felix aka Catman's idea for the sake of trying to get more "pure" DC.

jimreeves, I've seen a ferrite choke before but never knew what it was. I think I'm going to get some of those and experiment with them. I live less than half a mile from a radio station and interference has been a problem for a long time.

Thanks for the replies!

EDIT: Switched wallwarts, new one has much lower hum. Will still probably switch to a battery or add a ferrite choke because now I hear radio interference:dammit:.

Last edited:
G'day all, yes the switch mode wall wart might be responsible. A pure 12 volt battery power supply will certainly prove that in one way or the other and work much better too. :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.
Any recommendations on the battery to use for this? I've got a TCC (and thinking about acquiring another) and would like to go pure DC on it.

Thanks!

I have 1. couldn't believe how much better it sounded th. when using aen the built in preamp on my Yamaha. hum is noticeable when using a mov..ing coil cartridge if you use the included power supply. I use 2 lantern batteries 6v wired in series with a blade switch

Using one this morning. Been packed away... stock wall wart , no hum with MM cart. Key to best SQ , IMO , is to keep it plugged in. Don't unplug it

Never tried a battery with it

On edit: Found jimreeves' missing picture. Thought I 'd reinsert it

Clipboard01.png

Last edited:
And old thread, but worth an update.

I have had my TC-760LC for something like 8 years now. The supplied wall wart stinks, throw it away or use it on some other 12VDC device. For about 6 years I used a pair of 6V lantern batteries wired in series and a blade switch to power this unit, then it sounds fantastic. 2 years ago I found a much higher quality wall wart and am using that instead. Since the unit does not have a power switch, it's on all the time. Hasn't failed yet. I use both the MM and the MC side of it, have two turntables hooked up to it. No complaints whatsoever, and it sounds fantastic.

I'm sure that by spending a significant amount more, I can further improve the sound. But I will say this...if you are still listening to your turntable via the built in phono preamp in your vintage japanese receiver, order one of these today, hook it up to a 12VDC battery or a better power supply and prepare to be blown away! $80 just about everywhere it's sold.

Back
Top Bottom