Hpm-Econo Redo, Aka Kpm-10.0

Kegger

R.I.P. 1/12/1966 - 6/1/2017
Let's start this off by saying these were a pair of well beat up HPM-100 spkrs. :)

Both mid ranges wasted, maybe one good each of the tweeters an super tweeters.
Cabinets had bad water damage where the bottoms had swelled and seems splitting.

Only thing good left were the woofers, I've had and have HPM's an feel there woofers
are the best part of these HPM series of speakers so I've hid them in the speaker vault.

Well anyone in the speaker forum over the last year or so must have seen the Econowave
thread, I took "3 days" to read that then went looking for what I might have to build a pair
when the HPM's stood out. Great thread with some great info over there, Kuddo's!

One thing I hate is having to lift your speakers so high to get them at ear levels your loosing
floor coupling for enhanced bass response so the first thing I did was flip them over, find some
other cabs to put the waveguide, driver and xover's in. I found a pair of fisher wall cabs, again
in the vault set them on top took some measurments an decided they would do just fine, mount
my xover and the L-Pad from the HPM inside it and use it's grill to cover the xover.

Grabbed the xover boards out of some parts express BR-1's I had to build the Econowave xover,
built them up, cut in the waveguide, took all the parts out of the HPM-100 cabs including those
internal mid range cabs, wired the woofers straight to the binding posts, sealed the front then I
installed two 3" diameter 10.5" long ports on the rear tuning the cabs to 32hz.
(plug 1 for 23hz or both for sealed use, any of the 3 configs work fine)

Andyman and myself listened to these during all the building/testing/fine tuning and found there
not to shabby, actually pretty dam good in there garage setup/outdoor area where they were at.
(did the "cosmetics" finishing today so they can get tested on the main system in the basement)

Well they seem like there gunna be keepers so it was time to spruce them up a bit before they can
come in house, sanded the crap out of them, filling in/glueing everything I could, rounded there front
and back corners that use to be the bottom but is now the top, painted the front and now top black
then refinished the sides with minwax wood sheen rosewood. Still got some finishing touches to do, 1
being recover the HPM grills and match the top box color to the bottom. But hey for now much better.

(Xover is updated later in the thread with a parts list and sample build pic's)

Here are some before, during and after shot's.

Attachments

• front999.jpg
    front999.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,438
  • close_927.jpg
    close_927.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 759
  • kpm_inside_999.jpg
    kpm_inside_999.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 796
  • box_xover_990.jpg
    box_xover_990.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 881
  • kpm_top_b_996.jpg
    kpm_top_b_996.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 632
  • kpm_frt_f_984.jpg
    kpm_frt_f_984.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,576
  • kpm_frt_sde_f_957.jpg
    kpm_frt_sde_f_957.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,032
  • kpm_bak_f_938.jpg
    kpm_bak_f_938.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,012
  • kpm_frt_sd_b_949.jpg
    kpm_frt_sd_b_949.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,008
That's a clever way to handle the water damage.

[Like the "hat," too.... ;) ]

Thanks a lot guy's, will update later with "in house" sound impressions.

The DIY crowd is loud and very proud here on AK. Keep up the good work!

What horn driver did you use? Does the Pio woofer reach up far enough to blend into the horn? I do like the HPM woofer quite well- just do not know about the top end of it.
Being a "Franken-Speaker"' person myself I do like what you have done to reclaim the cabinets here. You get a "gold star" in your book for todays activities!!
We should pass an AK law that ALL half decent vintage 10"+ woofer cabs must be recycled into Econo-Waves if not being used for their original purpose or you will be sumarily beat about the head and shoulders with a "WaveRadio" as punishment.
DC

Look greaat Keg. I'll like to get over there some time and give them a listen. Cheers.

First thanks for props!:smoke:

Secondly yep the HPM woofer has no problem reaching up there, in it's original
config it was crossed at either 3 or 4k, just a single .6mh coil in series with that
12 incher, so yah it will get up there for this installment. :thmbsp:

What horn driver did you use? Does the Pio woofer reach up far enough to blend into the horn? I do like the HPM woofer quite well- just do not know about the top end of it.
Being a "Franken-Speaker"' person myself I do like what you have done to reclaim the cabinets here. You get a "gold star" in your book for todays activities!!
We should pass an AK law that ALL half decent vintage 10"+ woofer cabs must be recycled into Econo-Waves if not being used for their original purpose or you will be sumarily beat about the head and shoulders with a "WaveRadio" as punishment.
DC

OK after 2 hours listening an first impressions, IT WORKS WELL!!!!!

Only critique I may have and it being in my system as it's very detailed and quite revealing
with a sweep amp an E80CC's in the pre then mated with these speakers that are also quite
detailed and revealing is they could be just a tad/slight/very little bit/a touch smoother, now
I have been listening for 2 hours an have no fatigue nor feel I want to stop listening, but I'd
like to try Dave's suggestion with the foam in the horn, I'm also using all average caps in the
xover so some better caps (which I've got on hand) will be inserted as well. I remember Zilch
had mentioned coating the back of the diaphrams as well, I'd like to try that down the road.

Again these are doing just what an accurate, detailed speaker should do, but if it got just a
tad smoother I certainly would not complain a bit, if it didn't there still staying in the system.

Also this is just 1 of many amps an preamps that will run through my system on any given week!

Anyone in the area want to hear them just drop me a line, Dave if you want to stop by after work
for a quick listen on your way home say monday or something that would work for me. Dennis your
more then invited to come on by!

OH yah by the way, the bass, It's awsome!

Again these are doing just what an accurate, detailed speaker should do, but if it got a just a tad smoother I certainly wouldn't complain a bit, if it didn't they're still staying in the system.
Are you telling us these are moving in as your mains? :thmbsp:

I BELIEVE you'll find D220Ti provides the extra smoothness you'd like to hear. Look back to my original post(s) comparing them.... :yes:

[BTW, we're gonna get yelled at here: "YO! You E'Wavers go play in your OWN yard...." :p: ]

Yes these things are working out nice, more should build them. :)
(they just may became the ones that stay in the main system) :music:

-----------

Dave the bass is pretty darn good with the 2 ports and the graphs show using the Hpm
woofer specs you took that It's rising response starting at 200hz, up 1db at 100, up 2db
at 70hz where it plato's through 60hz, then back to a +1db at 50hz, flat at 45hz and the
minus 3db point is at 36hz, that 2db bump doesn't really bother me an may even be a bit
of a blessing with some of the low powered set amps that could get used here, but again
I will do the test an cycle through plugging 1 and both ports for a "test" run.

Dave the bass is pretty darn good with the 2 ports and the graphs show using the Hpm woofer specs you took that It's rising response starting at 200hz, up 1db at 100, up 2db at 70hz where it plato's through 60hz, then back to a +1db at 50hz, flat at 45hz and the minus 3db point is at 35hz.
I ran Dave's measurements for both the HPM woofer and the Advent in BB6P, and they produced nearly the same result as each other closed box. Note the high "Qs."

Back
Top Bottom