Marantz 5030B Cassette Deck - Restoration #2

MarantzRefrb

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I must be a glutton for punishment, as I'm going to put myself through this again, here we go.

eBay had an auction claiming this 5030B was from a recent estate sale:
BOnR2h8.jpg

The ad said all lights work:
RttpAik.jpg

The ad also said the deck makes noise but the tape won't move.
ce3mByY.jpg

I received this 5030B today, and I've never seen someone use the Postal Service, or USPS in this manner to deliver a Marantz component to me - came with a stamp collection:
Sq8o7Jj.jpg

After unpacking it, it's dirty, but really clean at the same time:
wZJT2WL.jpg

When I get a new component, I always look at the screw heads to tell if the case has ever been opened. If I see that the screw head is chewed up from someone using the incorrect tip driver, or it's missing screws, or they're mismatched - I start to worry. This one had never been opened.
nSfTUNC.jpg

Knowing that the unit makes noise but doesn't spin the tape, I ordered the same 5030B belt kit as I did the last time, which arrived today also.

Began cleaning the deck, it was pretty dirty inside, the face will need a serious polish too, looks like nicotine but doesn't stink like it:
fFCUBGc.jpg

This 5030B was born on 05/16/1978
sgztOkj.jpg

My original-owner 5030B that I already restored, was born on 05/02/1978, 2 weeks older:
2pbQRiP.jpg

More to follow.

EDIT: Just noticed today is my original-owner 5030B's 44th brithday, 05/02/2022.

Last edited:
Spent about an hour last night polishing the face plate, I used what Catrafter recommends to polish face plates with, Meguiar's 105 and microfiber towels, it's gentle enough not to damage anything, but it pulls the stains off with enough effort.

Have another hour or so of polishing left to go still, will start using a Dremel/buffing wheel, and the 105, now that the bulk of the stains are gone:
ll7NvZX.jpg

Chunks of belt keep falling out and they've turned to tar, so it makes a huge mess wherever the chunks land. The gears are really yellow on this one, not sure if that's some old oil, or what's happening here:
8e5sCtA.jpg

Going to concentrate on cleaning out the gears/belts and heads today.

I have one that got into and stopped.
Belts replaced then found clutch and sound issues. It was bought needing belts so was of unknown condition.

Following your adventures.....

I'd like to see you get yours fixed. There isn't much to slow the tape pitch down mechanically, but sticky gears, or worn idler tires; if the belts are new and the stepper motor is working correctly. The caps would be suspect if all of those other considerations were in order.

Got through the absolute worst of the restoration, cleaning that black tar goop off all the gears:
SNo2m7z.jpg

The gears were yellow because of old grease and dirt:
j00F9HO.jpg

The motor covered in tar:
h5M3vQR.jpg

Cleaned and ready:
CmUKFSV.jpg

Going to take a break and decide if I want to replace the counter belt, it does look bad even though it's still together and works, but replacing this belt requires an entire disassembly of the gears and mechanism.
6seZkBv.jpg

New belts and cleaned it up.

When playing it will move then stop like it is dragging and no sound. Meters move and does produce sound when monitoring a source hear in headphones.

Just when recording no signal or when playback a recorded tape.

One of the switches or connections is not engaging is where I left it.

I'll definitely clean my S901 also, and lube the transport lever, to hopefully avoid any of that intermittency I've heard about.
PDjLtPJ.jpg

That was been cleaned and checked.

At first I could push on the assembly when playing a tape and hear sound intermittently . Cleaned the switches on the assembly and checked wires and could not find the culprit.

Now most times it is silent. The tape still drags and moves slow.

So put it up till another day.

I have a perfectly operating 5030B here to compare this one too if necessary.

If you need any voltage readings, or behavioral observations, let me know while this one is still open.

Thanks for the gracious offer. It is put up. Busy with outside work to do before it gets to hot.
The deck will have to wait.

Cleaned the heads and rollers, lubed the mechanism:
or88PWJ.jpg

Got the belts in this evening, did not need the counter belt, the old one is fine once again.
74Ux1Hc.jpg

Everything is working correctly now:

Need to finish polishing the face and deck door. Might be able to finish this tomorrow.
RklSOin.jpg

Finished and working well, sounds great.
FlDDGt1.jpg

Connected to a Focusrite 18i8 interface for PC/DAW recording and testing.
rNjF5Xo.jpg

This one is done, thanks for reading and following along.

Back
Top Bottom