My rescued 2230

markshan

Sir Thrift a Lot
I mentioned on the introductions thread that my nicest piece of audio equipment is a Marantz 2230 that I found on the side of the road. It was pretty rough but with just a bit of TLC it now looks and sounds wonderful. The things really are built like tanks.

When I saw that Marantz had it's own page, I thought that you all might enjoy some before and after pictures.

Before...

Attachments

• mar01Sm.jpg
    mar01Sm.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 194
  • mar04Sm.jpg
    mar04Sm.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 217
Nice work, and a great deal as you got if free if you found it on the side of the road. Welcome to AK and to the Marantz corner. Cheers!

TC

I did the face, case and knobs with Formula 409 and a soft nylon scrub brush in the utility tub in my basement. I rinsed copiously as 409 has an aluminum warning, I didn't want any pitting to occur later. For the circuit boards I used an air pump meant for blowing up portable beds in lieu of compressed air. It came with a small tip for filling beachballs, etc.. It is cheaper, more environmentally friendly and just as effective. Anyway, the air and a soft paintbrush did 90% of the work, including all of the work on the PCBs. It took time, but that really was all there was to it, nothing at all special. Once it was "basically" clean, I used paper towels with rubbing alcohol to wipe down the tops of the big caps, transformer and other surfaces. Finally I used a lot of tuner cleaner on the pots and switches and electronic cleaner on the jacks. I didn't put any money into it at all. None of the lamps needed replaced. Even the replacement plug came from a broken item at the hospital where I work.

So somebody is looking at a heart monitor with confusion right now at work?

lol, looks good man. Thats a ton of work you did there.

Evan

Thats a hubbel plug too me thinks, some guys use those on DIY high end powercords. Nice score.

No heart monitors were harmed in the making of this restoration.

Actually it was a broken safe lamp. I am an X-ray tech.

And yes it is a Hubble plug. Since it is "hospital grade" the place is littered with them. Talk about overkill, I've seen them used to repair desklamps in hospital offices. The maintainence guys have them on their carts, so they use them. Some probably don't even know that the plug is worth more tan the lamp.

soundweasel, I just noticed your signature. As I was testing my work, I had FM signal on the meter but no sound. I spent a few anxious minutes pulling the CD from my main system to check aux inputs for sound when it dawned on me that I hadn't returned the preamp jumpers after cleaning them. I felt stupid.

Start a new thread with that question. I'm sure someone here has done it. If not, ask Rolf at Hoffman. He sells the lamps cheap also.

Back
Top Bottom