New - Magnepan LRS speakers

Some more good songs for female vocals are the Cranberries "Zombie" , Four non blonds "What's Up", and Monsters and Men "Little Talks", Lady Ga Ga and Bradley Cooper(at the grammy's)"Shallow" and Adele "Skyfall".
You can find them all on youtube. Youtube sq isn't so good but the songs are great.

Last edited:
This is why I feed my 2.5Rs ~ 700 wpc from an ancient carver PM 1200 (fully gone through and capable of its original spec'd output) and I currently feed my 1.6QR with Carver M1.5t, that I've owned for near on thirty years and has been fully brought back to spec. ~600 wpc

My maggies, (both pair) do top out db wise somewhere around 100db, no matter how much power you feed them, they just won't get any louder, (I've blown tweeter fuses trying), but they do get LOUD enough for me 99.9% of the time. I've never had an amp go into protection driving my maggies at high volume levels, but I've only used Carver amps, Rotel amps, and Bryston amps to drive them.
In my opinion, Magnepan speakers really shine with Carver amps, (and logically Sunfire amps) There's some 'magic' that happens when the two are combined.

It might just be time to re-watch Thin Red Line, it's one fantastic film, and that's due in no small part, to the amazing Score by Hans Zimmer. There's a whole lot of other reasons why it's so amazing, and I've always thought it was a far superior film to its comparator, Saving Private Ryan. Maggies shine at films, because they reproduce vocals (among a great many other things) better then just about anything else out there.

Also, if y'all haven't yet, the score to Blade Runner 2049 is every bit as amazing as the score to Blade Runner, and that's saying a whole lot.

Yeah, I have been on the hunt for the "perfect" amp for my Maggie's since I bought them. I don't care if it's used, I don't care if it's 15 years old, as long as it has balls, current and power and is built like a Panzer IV tank! Had to throw in a WWII reference since we are talking WWII movies. :)

I am looking at a Soundstream DA-1 right now. I loved Soundstream for car audio back in the day.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAHKDC_enUS878&tbm=isch&sxsrf=ACYBGNQZnq6C8ORGk-y-
b5JrN_QX7_W5ag%3A1580361828011&sa=1&ei=ZGgyXv8it4_0_A-n34iQBQ&q=soundstream+da-1+&oq=soundstream+da-1+&gs_l=img.3..35i39j0i30j0i24j0i10i24.39885.40944..41931...0.0..0.75.451.8......0....1..gws-wiz-img.dwcqVn1K-b4&ved=0ahUKEwj_5P_KyqrnAhW3B50JHacvAlIQ4dUDCAc&uact=5#imgrc=BVrpGjmTQ-uXOM:

I will look into some Carver and Sunfire amps. I am also looking at the Parasound New Classic 2250V.2. Thanks for the advice, I want to get the most out of my Maggie's.

As far as The Thin Red Line, it would always piss me off when people would talk Saving Private Ryan and dismiss The Thin Red Line. And most people have never even seen it. Yes, FAR superior to SPR. So much depth, style, emotion and his shooting style was beautiful. Terrence Malicks Masterpiece. I would just play certain scenes over and over and over again. Not that SPR is a bad movie, it's a great movie too, but The Thin Red Line is epic and on another level.

And I tried the Maggies out in my theater room and LOVED them. But have my ZU's back in my theater room and LOVE them more. I think. LOL I did love vocals and dialog with the Maggie's though

Last edited:
you typed in the quote brackets, so you might want to edit that.

I just finished re-watching The Thin Red Line, due to this thread, so thanks!

Good googly moogly, I love this film, it might just be the perfect war film.

and, I've got my JL audio Fathom back from the shop,(Thanks Audio Xperts!) and re-calibrated it and my M&K dual 12" push/pull sub, the experience was truly sublime.

Like you, I also like Saving Private Ryan, but TRL is a deeper film, very violent, but also very meditative on our place in the world.
if you go with carver,make sure you've got a place that can work on them, and understands the triac.

The sunfire signature is bomber, and most anyone can work on it if its needed.

It was late, I was in bed on my laptop, I just jacked that all up. Thanks. LOL.

Well this thread has also prompted me to view it again. Will most likely be this weekend with my 16 year old son. He has never seen it.

It's the BEST war movie ever made and is an epic MASTERPIECE, as far as a pure war movie is concerned.

Apocalypse Now is still my favorite, but that is a War/Psychological Thriller/Horror movie. :) Platoon is up there at the top of the list too.

And as far as audio bliss, The Thin Red Line has some of my favorite audio demo scenes ever!

Even the subtle ones really make your surround sound system shine. This is one of my favorites scenes. I would play this scene over and over again. The way it starts out with the thunder and then all the sounds of the jungle, plus the subtle music. This scene with Welsh and Witt is just so powerful, it gives me goosebumps.

Last edited:
Well, here I go....
I have a call into Magnepan. I am anxiously awaiting a callback.
I’ll be going from two pairs of TIme Windows. I’l be using the LRSs with an SP6 and a Citation II, I have high hopes!
Monty

Well, here I go....
I have a call into Magnepan. I am anxiously awaiting a callback.
I’ll be going from two pairs of TIme Windows. I’l be using the LRSs with an SP6 and a Citation II, I have high hopes!
Monty

I love my LRS's more and more everyday!

I love my LRS's more and more everyday!

I’m glad to hear that. I am about 3/4 of the way thorough this thread and I have not gotten to you “final” evaluation yet :)

I just got of the phone with Pete from Magnepan. I placed my order. Black Trim, Black Fabric. There is a 8-10 week lead time... I live in Oshkosh Wisconsin, my daughter lives in Minneapolis. I am planning on picking them up at the factory so I saved the delivery charge.

Pete assured me that my 60 watt per channel Citation II will be plenty to drive the speakers. If that turns out not to be true I live about one mile from AK usher @stanko. I know he has some very nice mono blocks :)

THe long wait begins...

Monty

I’m glad to hear that. I am about 3/4 of the way thorough this thread and I have not gotten to you “final” evaluation yet :)

I just got of the phone with Pete from Magnepan. I placed my order. Black Trim, Black Fabric. There is a 8-10 week lead time... I live in Oshkosh Wisconsin, my daughter lives in Minneapolis. I am planning on picking them up at the factory so I saved the delivery charge.

Pete assured me that my 60 watt per channel Citation II will be plenty to drive the speakers. If that turns out not to be true I live about one mile from AK usher @stanko. I know he has some very nice mono blocks :)

THe long wait begins...

Monty

I still don't have a final evaluation as of yet. Still waiting for the entirety of my electronics to give a full and final evaluation. They deserve that much. Mainly either a high powered and high current Class A/B amp or my new 60v power supply for my DAC STM Class D amp. I still get my current Class D amp with the 48v power supply to go into protection mode.

So I hope the 60 watt Citation II will work. I am realizing it's not primarily about the watts, but synergy, system matching and the big one, quality current. But I have been "assured" before and all amps have failed the test so far. At a little above moderate, it sounds great, but push it some, especially on demanding music, protection mode is triggered.

My Schiit Vidar amp will shut down if I push the volume and it's rated at 200 wpc into 4 ohms. I think the issue might be that the amp has a relatively low input sensitivity and the preamp output signal is too small so the amp is struggling to amplify the signal enough. I went into the menu of the Yammy AVR that I'm using as a preamp and turned up the output signal to the Vidar and the problem was greatly reduced.

Well, I might be lucky. My musical tastes have changed though the years. I no longer listen to music (Led Zeppelin, Supertramp, Yes etc) as loud as possible. THe SX1280 and Klipschorns are long gone. Police no longer pound on the door at 3AM...

These days I seldom listen over 80db. I enjoy blues and of bit a jazz. One person singing with one or two instruments as a backup. My current favorite is Patricia Barber’s Cafe Blue..

I think (and hope) the LRSs will be perfect for me, Dang, it is going to be a long 8-10 weeks

Monty

Last edited:
Well, I might be lucky. My musical tastes have changed though the years. I no longer listen to music (Led Zeppelin, Supertramp, Yes etc) as loud as possible. THe SX1280 and Klipschorns are long gone. Police no longer pound on the door at 3AM...

These days I seldom listen over 80db. I enjoy blues and of bit a jazz. One person singing with one or two instruments as a backup. My current favorite is Patricia Barber’s Cafe Blue..

I think (and hope) the LRSs will be perfect for me, Dang, it is going to be a long 8-10 weeks

Monty

I don't know MontyMo, I was rocking out pretty hard to some Floyd today and some alternative hip hop which sounded REALLY good. If it's a well recorded and quality track, just about any genre of music sounds good. If it's a bad recording, well it sounds bad! No sugar coating it. But the Maggie's strength is what you're looking for. Jazz, Blues, Folk, Acoustic and vocals. Female vocals are pure audio bliss! Male vocals too. And the bass, and I'm not talking bass drum or bass like hip hop bass, but bass guitar, bass from a cello or violin, it's the best I have ever heard. It's true audiophile quality.

I don't know MontyMo, I was rocking out pretty hard to some Floyd today and some alternative hip hop which sounded REALLY good. If it's a well recorded and quality track, just about any genre of music sounds good. If it's a bad recording, well it sounds bad! No sugar coating it. But the Maggie's strength is what you're looking for. Jazz, Blues, Folk, Acoustic and vocals. Female vocals are pure audio bliss! Male vocals too. And the bass, and I'm not talking bass drum or bass like hip hop bass, but bass guitar, bass from a cello or violin, it's the best I have ever heard. It's true audiophile quality.
Agree completely. Acoustic instruments sound amazing. Electric instruments, not so much. Neil Young music is a good example of this. His acoustic guitar sounds so good, but his electric guitar is unlistenable for me. Loud, distorted, unpleasant, buzz- tones. Young has made some of the best music and some of the worst. I remember buying one of his albums,a long time ago,can't think of the name of it right now, he was in his "heavy metal" electric guitar phase, it was horrible, completely unlistenable so bad I just threw it out. Now I remember. It was "Trans". Or maybe it was "Reactor".

Last edited:
Agree completely. Acoustic instruments sound amazing. Electric instruments, not so much. Neil Young music is a good example of this. His acoustic guitar sounds so good, but his electric guitar is unlistenable for me. Loud, distorted, unpleasant, buzz- tones. Young has made some of the best music and some of the worst. I remember buying one of his albums,a long time ago,can't think of the name of it right now, he was in his "heavy metal" electric guitar phase, it was horrible, completely unlistenable so bad I just threw it out. Now I remember. It was "Trans". Or maybe it was "Reactor".

You NAILED it! I am a HUGE Gary Clark Jr fan. Not just because of his 3 Grammy's but all the way back when he was a rookie on that Clapton tour. But I was trying to listen to him on my Maggie's, it sounded terrible, went out to my ZU system and all was right again. Yeah, there is music where the Maggie's bring out the life in music like I have never heard before and then music where it sounds like the neighborhood cat is getting........ and nails across the chalkboard. Like un-listenable. That's why I have never owned a pair of Maggie's. If I could only have one do it all speaker. It sure wouldn't be the Maggie's, but I have the luxury of having multiple systems, and what the Maggie's excel in, is like no other box speaker I have ever heard.

This is EXACTLY what I am looking for!
BTW, I ordered a new cartridge yesterday. A SUMIKO - Blue Point Special EVO-III High Output MC Cartridge
Monty

Are the Maggies equally good for analog and digital? Or do they reveal over-compressed digital even more so?

Also, just curious, if most high resolution music is acceptable? Anyone hear how they sound on DSD, SACD, DVD-A, or Blu-ray Audio?

Gotta disagree, distorted electric guitar sounds great on maggies, but it doesn't have that 'visceral' feel most expect.

For that, you need cones.

Trans (By neil young) sounds amazing, (there's a whole LOT of synthesizer/vocoder electronic sounds) When the album pops up on my music server, I usually have to turn it up, waay up, because it sounds so damn good.

Sleeps with Angels is amazing.

Well, really all neil young sounds amazing on maggies.
Electronic music is definitely one of Maggies forte's. (Tangerine Dream, Kitaro, Jean Michelle Jarre, mahavishnu orchestra, etc etc)
Are the Maggies equally good for analog and digital? Or do they reveal over-compressed digital even more so?

and yes, maggies are definitely GIGO, bad recordings sound... bad. The better the recording, the better they'll sound. The best description I could give them is 'transparant' maggies are more transparant then any other speakers I've heard, with the exception being some Electrostats. (some, not all) They are superior to my infinitys in transparancy.
Also, just curious, if most high resolution music is acceptable? Anyone hear how they sound on DSD, SACD, DVD-A, or Blu-ray Audio?
Laurie Andersons stuff is WoW! especially her album Landfall.... That's a co-op with Kronos Quartet, so we get electronic sounds, an amazing string quartet, and Laurie Anderson!

Childish Gambinos 'This is america' On my maggies, supported by my dual subwoofers is a truly phenomenal listening experience.

The new Dr Who theme for this season sounds especially amazing. (reinforce, WITH subwoofers, there's some real interesteing EDM stuff going on in the new theme)
The newer Cosmos on blu-ray is sublime through the maggies, as is blue planet.

Compressed music and sounds, sound bad. how bad? the more compressed, the worse it sounds. the higher the resolution of the source, the better they sound.

Gotta disagree, distorted electric guitar sounds great on maggies, but it doesn't have that 'visceral' feel most expect.

For that, you need cones.

Trans (By neil young) sounds amazing, (there's a whole LOT of synthesizer/vocoder electronic sounds) When the album pops up on my music server, I usually have to turn it up, waay up, because it sounds so damn good.

Sleeps with Angels is amazing.

Well, really all neil young sounds amazing on maggies.
Electronic music is definitely one of Maggies forte's. (Tangerine Dream, Kitaro, Jean Michelle Jarre, mahavishnu orchestra, etc etc)

and yes, maggies are definitely GIGO, bad recordings sound... bad. The better the recording, the better they'll sound. The best description I could give them is 'transparant' maggies are more transparant then any other speakers I've heard, with the exception being some Electrostats. (some, not all) They are superior to my infinitys in transparancy.

Laurie Andersons stuff is WoW! especially her album Landfall.... That's a co-op with Kronos Quartet, so we get electronic sounds, an amazing string quartet, and Laurie Anderson!

Childish Gambinos 'This is america' On my maggies, supported by my dual subwoofers is a truly phenomenal listening experience.

The new Dr Who theme for this season sounds especially amazing. (reinforce, WITH subwoofers, there's some real interesteing EDM stuff going on in the new theme)
The newer Cosmos on blu-ray is sublime through the maggies, as is blue planet.

Compressed music and sounds, sound bad. how bad? the more compressed, the worse it sounds. the higher the resolution of the source, the better they sound.

Didn't read all of this but I like distorted electric guitar more on my ZU's. Sounds more like his live concert to me than on my Maggie's.

Electronic and New Age music does sound phenomenal! I will also try that Childish Gambino track. hip hop sounds real good on the Maggie's. Different than I'm used to. Of course need some subs for the low end.

Do you have your Maggie's running full range?

Didn't read all of this but I like distorted electric guitar more on my ZU's. Sounds more like his live concert to me than on my Maggie's.

Electronic and New Age music does sound phenomenal! I will also try that Childish Gambino track. hip hop sounds real good on the Maggie's. Different than I'm used to. Of course need some subs for the low end.

Do you have your Maggie's running full range?
Yes, I don't roll my maggies off. They are a fair amount larger then yours though.
2.5R and 1.6QR. I don't like rolling off speakers, as long as they aren't distorting or you don't get the infamous (slap), it's easier to integrate subs by dialing the crossover/input down on the subs then removing frequencies from the mains. (this only holds true for nearly full range speakers if using small speakers that start rolling off above 50hz -80hz I will cross them over if i can)

Back
Top Bottom