No talk/mention of the new "Midway"?

The history of this battle fascinates me but I fear this movie is mostly a video game rendition of the event. Hope I am wrong.

Snade

I quite agree that the original Midway was no masterpiece but the CGI "flying" scene I saw in the trailer for the remake is a real turn off for me. Very video gameish. IMO CGI is spoiling a lot of historical films that rely on period technology - hope they get it right someday.

For starters the presence of Charlton Heston. Then the ridiculous sideplot of Heston's son and his Japanese-American girlfriend. And an over reliance on Navy stock footage we've been seeing in Pacific War carrier movies since Task Force (1949, Warners) often of the wrong airplanes. As I recall there was even a Korean War era shot of a jet crashing on a carrier deck. Such ineptness takes the knowledgeable out of the moment.

I think the movie was clumsy, cheesy and boring.

Regards
But it was in Sensurround

But it was in Sensurround

Sensurround was awesome back in the day .. with the caveat that most theatres were not properly equipped to take advantage of the experience. The theatre I saw the movie in was set up right. Can still remember feeling the impact of the explosions (Hell Diver attacks on Aircraft Carriers) while sitting in my rattling movie theatre seat back in the 1976. :thumbsup::trebon:

Last edited:
There is now a movie out called "Dauntless: The Battle of Midway". It follows the life and death of a pilot and his rear gunner and their crashed Dauntless bomber. Most of the movie takes place in the Flat calm Pacific, like a lake. Even during a squall the water never rose up at all. I kept waiting for the action scenes, which never appeared. Don't bother with this one.

Last edited:
Hollywood can't make a straight up commercial War Movie without adding the required "love interest" and "struggling handsome side-story actor" and obligatory over the top "special effects." I'll pass.

Hollywood can't make a straight up commercial War Movie without adding the required "love interest" and "struggling handsome side-story actor" and obligatory over the top "special effects." I'll pass.

Ah Haij, and I pegged you for a soft hearted soul.:D Just jiving ya, eh?

Remember one has to ask the SO and or the GF to come along to the theatre...thus the need for a "love interest" to fit the bill. I know I'm abusing the use of stereotyping when I suggest this explanation. So asking poetic licence here.

I do hear you on the "commercial" aspect of a War Movie wherein only the "good guys" are the only ones who can shoot straight, but you gotta admit that some of the recent movies are getting closer to the horrors of war in general. Both sides now catch hell.

As per that "handsome" protagonist? Not sure that Sean Penn would fit the bill. But beauty is in the eye of the holder!

I just hope this new portrayal comes closer to the real event that some the past war efforts had failed.

Q

There's definitely a bit in the trailers that looks like pure action movie schlock. The bit where the pilot stalls his engine to flip around from a climb to a dive. Just seems like a cringe artistic license bit that pilots probably rarely if ever employed.

Otherwise I'm excited.

As far as the original Midway goes, there's a famous stunt from Tora Tora Tora, the original Pearl Harbor movie. You've got a plane taxiing down a runway all on fire and people running away from it in a panic. That stunt is famous because it went off the rails and almost killed a few stage hands. They really enjoyed that raw take so they put it in the movie. I'm pretty sure that's one of the bits they recycled for the original Midway as well.

After a slew of 1940s era stock footage and reused practical stunts from other movies, I'll take a bunch of iffy CGI.

Would you believe that a practical stunt for the newer Pearl Harbor movie that made the final cut was an explosion on the decks of a few mothballed Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates? In a WW2 movie? I'll take iffy CGI if it means we get period correct surface ships.

The opening of "Saving Private Ryan" where the ramp door of the landing craft drops and the Germans had the machine guns sighted for the LC was as brutal as anything I have yet seen and that was maybe 15 years ago.

Yes- That entire opening sequence put you on edge and helped amplify the battle at the end IMO.

Based on the trailer it looks like they have worked in Doolittle’s raid into this version which I don’t recall in the original. I also wonder who they will use in the Hal Holbrook role as the eccentric intelligence officer who cracks the Japanese code and figures out the plan to attack Midway.

I quite agree that the original Midway was no masterpiece but the CGI "flying" scene I saw in the trailer for the remake is a real turn off for me. Very video gameish. IMO CGI is spoiling a lot of historical films that rely on period technology - hope they get it right someday.

If This turns out to be another B movie, I won’t be surprised. Hollywood has a very difficult time making good big budget movies in which the US is seen as the good guys. Midway was a very pivotal point in WW II with a very uncertain outcome. The Japanese had better planes, better pilots, better ships and were fiercely dedicated to their country and leaders.

It’s an epic story, I’ll be seeing it tonight.

I saw Midway earlier tonight, and I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, my wife said it's the best war movie she's seen, but that is going too far in my books. I will say that it's far better than the Ben Affleck Pearl Harbour and the 1970's Midway motion picture. The theater was full, maybe the odd empty seat here and there. Don't go expecting a Private Ryan experience, and if that's what you want from a war movie out of today's Hollywood, I wish you good luck.

The story was told on more of a grass roots level for the most part, so you didn't get the full picture as to what each side was doing or planning. The Japanese Admirals and captains were quite believable, and on the whole all of the actors parts were fleshed out and realistic, rather than some of the 2 dimensional characters from the original Midway.

The aerial dog fighting, while obviously having to be CGI, was more evolved and realistic than I was expecting. Dive bombing on the Japanese carriers really had me holding my breath as the planes were shot up and tried valiantly to make it count.

Last edited:
Seen Midway 2019 at the early bird show a little after noon yesterday. We arrived 45 minutes early .. which was good timing because it was almost sold out. We had to sit two seats back from the front of the screen.

I was looking forward to this film because I noticed the main character (IMDB) was Dick Best .. the Hell Diver aviator who made a tactical split second decision that changed the entire course of the battle. About 20:20 time frame in the previous lecture that I posted (#16) by Jonathan Parshall co-author of the 2005 book .. Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway. Using a basketball metaphor .. Best sank a long shot 3 pointer at the buzzer.

Other back story points I liked was inclusion of the ill fated air attacks from Midway Island on the Japanese Carriers and how one of the army aircraft (B-26) crashed and inadvertently almost killed Admiral Nagumo in the early stages of the battle.

Another point was the role of the USN submarine USS Nautilus (SS-168) and the Japanese Destroyer Arashi .. which was how Wade McClusky (Enterprise Air Group Commander) was able to find the Japanese Carriers.

Still another was the inclusion of WWII sailor Bruno Gaido .. which many people will probably think is a fictitious "over the top" movie character .. but it was based on real events.

IMHO .. the Battle of Midway would have to take a 12 hour mini-series to do it complete justice but I believe the film makers did a good job on this one. I would highly recommend viewing the YouTube lectures (1st one I posted) and the one below before seeing the movie. Really enhanced my enjoyment of the film. I took about 30 minutes to explain the Battle of Midway to my Wife before seeing the film (information I gathered from these lectures) and she really enjoyed the film .. and she does not like War Movies.

Battle of Midway Presentation

Note: audio goes out at 37:07 and returns at 43:06 … just skip ahead at 37:07.

Last edited:
Well-done involving tribute to a pivotal event that effectively covers a lot of ground. Highly recommended!
For a couple of relevent dox on the events and the war, first, Victory at Sea, iirc the first major TV production in the US and the first on the naval war effort. It has a "spiking the ball" patriotic post-war view of what was a still-fresh series of events not yet ten years past.
A more objective and tempered deeper and broader narrative of the war in its historical context may be found in The World At War, a later longer effort that hold up well for what was known. Also highly recommended to those want to know more about the entire series of events.

Last edited:
Hey sounds GOOD by the pos shares :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: to date!

Glad to hear that they might have gotten this one right.

Q

I saw it yesterday at a matinee and it was very crowded.

I was probably the youngest person there.

I liked it a lot. They included Pearl Harbor to start the movie.

Well worth seeing and I will see it again soon.

The period immersion had a very "authentic" feel, scene details seemed well rendered & portrayed.

Last edited:
Encouraged by the positive posts here I saw the movie this morning at a 10AM showing and I liked it. Being a history freak I have a few bones to pick with it but they're sins of omission so I'll let them slide. The movie did a good job. And the CGI was very good, especially the shots of ships on the water.

I didn't think this Emmerich guy had a movie like this in him.

Oh, and I got a kick from Admiral King giving his famous quip "when it gets tough they call on the sons of bitches". And a son of a bitch King was. And a damned effective one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom