Sansui AS 200 Speaker restauration

toneriderMUC

Well, I was able to get my hands on a pair of As 200 speakers. They look a bit beaten up and I want to give them a nice allover restauration!
They are functional and sound really nice and laid back, but I also feel they need a bit attention on the technical side.

The front grills are full of stains and I want to use new black acoustic fabric there. The wood veneer (?) also looks ... used .. and I want to carefully restore it. Its not massive wood though:

QXcVbhx.jpg

What can I do about it - I am not sure if its possible to sand it. If it is, I would carefully sand the whole surface and apply some antique wood wax or wood oil. I am just not sure if that works on veneer... What do you think?

I also want to recap the crossover - those caps are almost 50 years old!!

y3Rugt8.jpg

There are also 8 Ohm level pots for mids and highs. They do function, but not only alter mids and highs, but also have the ability to completely phase them out completely in some positions. They dont seem too trustworthy.... :D
So, what can I do about them? Is it possible to open and clean them?

And, do those "SUZUKIOHM" dogbone resistors need replacement? Never seen them before.

Last edited:
The AS-200 is not a very common Sansui speaker and one of the more sought after models (although the real prize is the almost unobtainable AS-300). I had a set a while ago and there are really nice! looking forward to more pics.

The AS-200 is not a very common Sansui speaker and one of the more sought after models (although the real prize is the almost unobtainable AS-300). I had a set a while ago and there are really nice! looking forward to more pics.

Here is one of them. I really like the look without grills. I now plan on sanding the wood veneer and then applying some antique wax. Should do the trick. For the crossovers I got a mix of Jantzen and Clarity Caps - they should bring a significant upgrade. I maybe can start recapping the first crossover tonight :banana:

EQnpYFd.jpg

By the way, is it possible to "pull out" that center cone of the tweeter?

the recapping was quite a success, bringing a lot more definition and clarity. Still, in the end they sounded too wooly for my taste and I sold them.

Back
Top Bottom