The Cheap Bastard Digital Tools

www.distrowatch.com is the place to go to see all the newest and most interesting distros of Linux. They maintain links to all the listed distributions of Linux. As I said, my personal recommendation for newbies is ubuntu, which you can reach directly at www.ubuntu.org. No matter which distro you choose, make sure it says 'live' in the title and it will be what you want (you can also install from a live CD / DVD if you later choose to do so, just click 'install' and away it goes). You will be downloading an ISO file. I presume you know how to burn a CD/DVD from an ISO file, right? Just burn a disk, shove it in the CD/DVD player, reboot. Set your PC to boot from the CD/DVD first (which is often the default selection anyway) and that way it will look to find your live CD/DVD in the drive before booting the hard drive that's in it currently.

Thanks Wigwam. Yes, I know how to burn a CD from and ISO file, that's the easy part. Heck, I think Nero has that automated, I just tell it and it does it.:thmbsp:

For folks who have never tried LINUX I recommend LINUX MINT. It has the option of running from a LIVE CD (to test drive it on your hardware) and is about the easiest distro I've ever installed. If you download the full package ISO it has many audio/video codecs pre-installed.

Cheers!

For folks who have never tried LINUX I recommend LINUX MINT. It has the option of running from a LIVE CD (to test drive it on your hardware) and is about the easiest distro I've ever installed. If you download the full package ISO it has many audio/video codecs pre-installed.

Cheers!

Mint is a good one, and you're right, it is like Ubuntu, but it has many of the 'non-free' codecs installed, meaning you can rip to MP3, play DVDs, etc, without installing extras. But it's also easy to set up the repository in Ubuntu to do the same (Medibuntu). And many flavors of Linux have live disks, not just Mint. Mint's a good one, though. Very popular.

Im a fan of Mint myself, its too easy just to install and go, but as Wiggy said, the Medibuntu repository is very easy to set up. One of my favorites for aged machines is Bohdi, it runs like butter on most anything made in the last 10 years. Its a very lightweight Ubuntu-based OS. This is usually my weapon of choice for netbook installs...works without a hitch.

...if you don't mind sharing your viewing and listening habits and don't mind a bit of adware/spyware (with your information being sent to third parties like Amazon who sponsor JRiver) and don't mind requiring the internet to enable JRiver's drivers to enable important functions [aka online license key] and don't mind paying money for JRiver, I would use JRiver.
I personally use Linux, Fedora 17 LXDE spin and use free (no cost AND open source) software that does the same as JRiver and heaps more.
Big thumbs up to the OP for the post

Wigwam is right in all respects, but let me make a point that may not be obvious to a non-Linux user.

Ubuntu has a very strong, very large community behind it, and has a company dedicated to supporting it. As I get older and want a 'just works' OS - and I'm not a guru like Wigwam - I tend to stick close to the main distribution for Ubuntu, because that's where the most eyeballs are concentrated and where I'm most likely to find someone who's dealt with whatever issue I'm having.

About 80-90 percent of what's applicable to Ubuntu is also applicable to the version Wigwam runs and to Mint, but just to make it dead nuts easy, I stay with the main thread.

s.

I agree that Ubuntu has a strong user base that tends to be quite helpful. OpenSUSE is another, but it's a very different experience than Ubuntu.

One nice thing about the 'live' versions of various Linux distros is that they also let you see if your hardware is going to support things as well as it might. Unlike Windows or Mac, Linux hardware drivers are often written by the community; not all hardware is supported. Leading-edge hardware is often not yet supported or if it is supported, it can be hard to get working correctly without being a 'guru' (and I'm hardly a guru, just experienced). For that reason, old computers are great for Linux; generally everything you're likely to find installed on them in the way of hardware is supported. But with a live CD/DVD, you can poke around on your own system and see what is and what is not supported out of the box. Makes a nice test run without having to make any commitments.

Yes, you can insert markers (in fact, that is essential to it) and you can export to different files, but not all at the same time. Also I don't believe Audacity does FLAC, but I'm not in front of it now so I can't verify that.

..but not all at the same time? what exactly is the process? I've plaed FLAC in Audacity plenty of times but never tried saving/exporting audio to the FLAC format.

..but not all at the same time? what exactly is the process? I've plaed FLAC in Audacity plenty of times but never tried saving/exporting audio to the FLAC format.

It's been a while since I've done it, but I think you set it in preferences or it might ask you when you click on "export" in the File menu. I really can't rewrite the instruction manual here because it would take me a year and I have better things to do. I would recommend looking it up under "Help", there you will find the whole story.

Oh, and I buy used CDs at the thrift store for 3 for $1, which gives me the chance to listen to lots of different music I've never heard before. Life is good.

along these lines and cheaper - I like to record air checks of radio shows - ussully at the left hand of the dial so I can let someone else be the first filter and find all the good stuff - like Vietnamese surf music, croatian pysch rock, avant garde jazz, eclectic americana, way out roots music, etc. etc. FM broadcasts saved as flac's sound pretty good.

Note for Ubuntu 12.04 users:

I've been going under the assumption that my USB dacs weren't being recognized, because they didn't show up in the control panel. My Thinkpad T-61 has a s/pdif option (you have to have the dock to take advantage of it, which I don't) and when I plug in a USB dac, the machine *sees* it as s/pdif, and it plays fine.

So for some limited subset of computers running 12.04, you may have access to your USB dac and not know it.

s.

Note for Ubuntu 12.04 users:

I've been going under the assumption that my USB dacs weren't being recognized, because they didn't show up in the control panel. My Thinkpad T-61 has a s/pdif option (you have to have the dock to take advantage of it, which I don't) and when I plug in a USB dac, the machine *sees* it as s/pdif, and it plays fine.

So for some limited subset of computers running 12.04, you may have access to your USB dac and not know it.

s.

where is the control panel ? i wasn't aware there was one .

Assuming you're using the unity interface, find it under settings ----> sound.

(Settings is the gear and wrench icon.)

s.

ah its not called control panel .its in applications / sound and video . i am using ubuntu studio .gnome

Back
Top Bottom