First post, thought I'd share my system

Mike Kesow

Been lurking around for about a month so I decided to make an account and upload some pictures of my system. All of these pieces were either given to me or I inherited them.

Kenwood VR-7200 Receiver
This one belonged to my uncle who bought it new in the 70's. He used it up until a few years ago when he told me it didn't work anymore. About 2 years ago he passed away, and this stayed in my grandmothers house until I saw it there about a month ago. Asked her if she was saving it for anyone and she said it was mine if I wanted it.

Took it home and disassembled it for cleaning. My uncle was a chain smoker so it required a lot of scrubbing to get it clean. I vacuumed out all the dust and debris and used some contact cleaner on all of the controls and switches. Plugged it in, it fired right up and plays beautifully, everything seems to work properly. Only issue is sometimes when it first starts up the left channel is a bit staticy but that goes away after a minute.

Dawn dish soap did most of the cleaning along with some barkeepers friend soft scrub. I used Howard's Restore-a-Finish on the cabinet and I couldn't be happier with how it came out for such an easy to use product.

Pioneer HPM-100 Speakers
These belonged to my dad. Not sure when he acquired them but I got them after he passed away. Used the Howard's on them as well. Still deciding if I want to try to clean the grill cloth somehow or try to replace it.

Pioneer SG-9500 Equalizer
My cousin gave me the equalizer when he was consolidating some of his audio equipment. Didn't do anything to it, it works great. Still playing with it trying to understand how to tune it.

Audiotek BL-1200 Turntable
This thing is kind of a mystery. Given to me by a friend's uncle. I've done some google searching but can't seem to find anything about it. Anyone know the deal with this thing? It works well, but I'd like to replace the stylus since I don't know how old it is or how much usage it received.

Pioneer CS-99A Speakers
These also belonged to my uncle. I took them shortly after he passed away. Haven't done anything to them but I plan on using the Howard's on them as well.

Very nice gear and thanks for sharing! Those dirty speaker grilles - this might work, I've managed to clean really dirty grilles by using Simple Green and water, and some elbow grease scrubbing gently. Might work!

Thanks guys! It was all well cared for. I'll try giving the knobs another workout. I'm interested in the re-cap but I don't know how to do it myself, would have to find someone trustworthy locally.

Thanks guys! It was all well cared for. I'll try giving the knobs another workout. I'm interested in the re-cap but I don't know how to do it myself, would have to find someone trustworthy locally.

Where is locally? If you post your location, a nearby fellow AK member may step up and walk you through the process. Recapping most crossovers is pretty easy, but it helps to have someone experienced show you how it's done the first time.

Nice job getting all of that nicotine off. Night and day difference for sure.
Amazing how that stuff just sticks to everything!

Where is locally? If you post your location, a nearby fellow AK member may step up and walk you through the process. Recapping most crossovers is pretty easy, but it helps to have someone experienced show you how it's done the first time.

That would be great, I'm in Beaver County, PA.

If the grill cloth doesnt clean up very well and the HPM-100 grill frames are wood, I would just staple on some new grill cloth and peel off the emblems from the old grill cloth, then reglue them onto the ""new"" grills. Ive done a few speakers like this and theyve all turned out great.

Ask for advice on the re-cap in the Kenwood section, its easy enough to do with help from people who have already done it, plus youll get to know the amplifier and appreciate it even more that way.

I may just get some grill cloth online and go that route.

Welcome onboard the AK train, Mike. You've been very fortunate to come across your gear with close family connections. Those connections make them seem very special, and quite worthy of passing on to your children.

All the gear looks great, too. You did a wonderful job in cleaning everything up. I wholeheartedly agree with RedRooster as concerns the Pioneer grill cloth - replace it. And don't automatically think of black as your only choice in color. Some of the guys here have taken extra steps in restoring grills that really make them "pop" visually.

The only other suggestion I would have regards the turntable. It was obviously made by one of the better suppliers and sold under a corporate name. Considering that it is of good quality, if the table was mine, I would refinish the plinth in real wood veneer followed by a deep glossy or semi-glossy clear coat. It would look like something very special.

GeeDeeEmm

Welcome onboard the AK train, Mike. You've been very fortunate to come across your gear with close family connections. Those connections make them seem very special, and quite worthy of passing on to your children.

All the gear looks great, too. You did a wonderful job in cleaning everything up. I wholeheartedly agree with RedRooster as concerns the Pioneer grill cloth - replace it. And don't automatically think of black as your only choice in color. Some of the guys here have taken extra steps in restoring grills that really make them "pop" visually.

The only other suggestion I would have regards the turntable. It was obviously made by one of the better suppliers and sold under a corporate name. Considering that it is of good quality, if the table was mine, I would refinish the plinth in real wood veneer followed by a deep glossy or semi-glossy clear coat. It would look like something very special.

GeeDeeEmm

Oh yeah, definitely great connections. Thanks, it was a lot of work getting it cleaned up but well worth it. I'm glad to hear that turntable looks to be quality. Wow, that's an awesome idea to refinish the base with veneer, it would look quite good. I think I'm going to seriously consider that!

BTW, thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm off this week, so I may just drive into Pittsburgh tomorrow and check out a record store, never been to one.

Went out today and picked up a few used records and a new cartridge for the turntable (and successfully installed it).

Boston - Don't Look Back
The Fabulous Thunderbirds - Tuff Enuff
FM - Indiscreet
Y&T - In Rock We Trust

Gonna look into what capacitors are needed for the HPM-100 crossovers next. I may watch some videos and attempt it myself, or I may seek out help from some instrument techs at work, we'll see.

Excellent! Welcome to the vintage thing. You will have fun tracking down vinyl and gear if so inclined in the Pittsburgh area. My guess is that area saw some pretty good time economically into the 70's when a lot of good old gear was being sold so hopefully you will be able to dig some things up as I am sure others in the area have. My family is from Ambridge BTW

Is that turntable heavy? What cartridge did you get?

Back
Top Bottom