Accuphase P-300 vs new type amps

Chris614

Hi all, does anybody could compare Accuphase P 300 to a new type of amplifiers. I wonder on my Accuphase P 300 after a re-cap Maybe do i should sell it and buy a newer amplifier... how much I have to spend $ to get same class of new amplifier like Accuphase p300? Any help?
I have Martin Logan Odyssey and i looking for something best for them...
Thanks

I have a friend that just purchased a pair of P-300s. He swears they are among the very best amps he's owned and he has had a BUNCH of really nice amps.

I'd be tempted to freshen it up myself.

I owned a recapped P-300 and it was one of the best solid state amps that I've ever heard regardless of age. I only let it go to help fund a tube amp purchase, which may or may not turn out to be an upgrade.

That's great guys . Thanks for answers...I was thinking about change to Mcintosh 501 or 601 from P-300, is that good idea or just waste money?

I have a McIntosh and would recommend keeping the Accuphase
Last month I was tempted by a P-500 at a local shop and compared it with Goldmund and a new Accuphase a-36. I went back to buy the Accuphase but was sold.

Both make beautifully designed, top notch stuff. If you are into the best sound quality, I'd go Accuphase.

I never compare Mcintosh 501 to Accuphase p300. I think and Accuphase P 300 thats is not A class that is the problem but if u think and P300 is good amp I'll do full re cap :)
personally i think and accuphase is more analog and mcintosh more digital...

Well, you're talking about 40 years difference between designs. Personally, I've never heard the P300 or either of the McIntosh amps you're considering in my system. Why not bring your P300 into the local dealer and compare for yourself? Any dealer worth his salt would surely let you do so if they thought they'd maybe sell you some amps. If the amps you're considering are owned by a private party, then ask them to bring them over so that you can demo in your home with your speakers.

Finally, go into it with an open mind. You just never know . . .

I had a fully restored Accuphase p-300 but sold it not long after I bought a McIntosh MC 302. I have since traded my MC 302 for a MC 452. The p-300 was an excellent amp. I think a good bang for the buck. But the newer McIntosh is better. If you are looking at the MC 501 and MC 601 I would seriously consider the MC 452. It is newer technology than the MC 501. Plus less money and basically the same power. I compared the MC 601 and MC 452 and could not really tell a difference. They had the same sound. The MC 452 should give you all the power you need. A pair of MC 601's cost almost double what a MC 452 cost. I do not think you will be wasting your money if you upgrade to a current McIntosh amp. Get a new Mac you will not regret it. If you are worried about wasting money get a MC 452. If money is no object get the MC 601's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom