Adding a Pre-Out/Main-In Coupler to Kenwood KA-9X?

bergun

Well, I’m taking my 1983-ish Kenwood KA-9X Intergraded Amplifier out of retirement… Again for the ??? time.

In the past, I Jerry-Rigged both my Kenwood GE-9X Equalizer and my DBX Three Band range expander to use with this amp in the past by using the Record Out selector. Anyway, I’m going to send it in for a good cleaning and since it’s going in, I was wondering if it is even possible to add a Pre-Out/Main-In Coupler to this amplifier?

Yes, it’s only a Mid-Fi amplifier, but it has TONS OF SENTIMENT VALUE to me and by adding a Pre-Out/Main-In Coupler would make adding a processor much easier. I’m not concerned about the cost, as long as it’s within reason.

well, with my family history, I figure I have a minimum of 20 years left on my warranty and I hoping to keep this amplifier for that long as well!!

if it is possible, who would you recommend, on the West Coast, to do this work?

I tried doing this on 2 different amp/ receivers and was guided by great guys here but, no sucess... It is not an easy task, noise problems (shielding), impedance matching, grounding. Gave up on that.

It can probably be done if you know where to tap in to the main amp board from the output of the volume and tone controls.

Years back I did this to several receivers.

Thanks for the replies. Can anybody recommend somebody, a professional, that can do this type of work?
Again, thanks!!

Thanks for the replies. Can anybody recommend somebody, a professional, that can do this type of work?
Again, thanks!!
my repair tech adds this feature at the request of his customers quite often he is located here in Southern California

my repair tech adds this feature at the request of his customers quite often he is located here in Southern California

Thanks for the reply. Do you have their contact info? If for whatever reason why you can’t post it, please PM/IM me.

Again, thanks!!

First check the schematics, if the tone controls are in NFB of the power amplifier, than this modification is not possible.

Back
Top Bottom