Altec Lancing Iconic Valencia ?

KG9MM

I just inherited a pair of Altec Lancing Iconic Valencia speakers. The cabinets are in fair condition. The woofer surrounds look original and undamaged. As they are, they sound much better than my ESS amt2a electrostatic speakers.

However, I think some restoration is in order. Here are a few questions:

First: The grill cloth is not original. In fact, it looks like a piece of couch upholstery material that is held on with Velcro. It really kills the high frequency. I pull it off to listen. but this lowers the WAF and I would like to put real grill cloth on them. I think the original Grills were made of a piece of hard fiber board with cutouts for the speaker and horn with cloth stretched over it. This was probably held in place by bending it and inserting the edges into the slots on ether side. When it springs back it would be supported by felt covered curved pieces mounted on the front panel (these remain). Here are my questions: Does anyone out there have a pattern for the fiberboard grill frame? I'm worried that if I just cut a big round hole for the woofer and a big rectangular hole for the horn the panel will not curve smoothly. What can you tell me about it? What did the original grill cloth look like? Is there a recommended source for vintage grill cloth?

Second: These are bass reflex speakers. There is very little damping material in the cabinet. Some is clearly missing. What is there is yellow fiber material about 1-1/2 inches thick on all the inside surfaces except the front panel. Normally I find the entire cabinet filled with fiber fill batting. Would this be considered an upgrade? Or should I stick with the 1-1/2 inch thick fiber on the inside surfaces?

Third: I think these speakers are from the 1960's. I'm sure some of the crossover caps are bad by now. Any recommendation on what kind of caps to use?

Jim

Or should I stick with the 1-1/2 inch thick fiber on the inside surfaces?
Yes.

Third: I think these speakers are from the 1960's. I'm sure some of the crossover caps are bad by now. Any recommendation on what kind of caps to use?
Depends on whether or not you want to try to stuff the whole mess back in the "can", physical size can narrow your choices.

Those crossovers are usually "potted" in a wax/tar like substance, 30 minutes in an oven under 200 degrees F will usually soften most of it so that it can be poured out. Some folks have had good luck with freezing them and chipping the stuff out.

Good luck, those speakers are worth your time and efforts.

Thanks for the advice? I'll have to look at the crossover. It's in a small metal box built around the back side of the horn gain pot. I have had good luck rebuilding twist-lock caps. I pry up the rolled edge and heat the cap with a hot air gun. The innards slide right out.

Jim

Your description sounds like you have a pair of 846A Valencias. The grilles used on these speakers are not hard board covered with grille cloth. They are fretwork (wood in the earliest units, plastic in later units), lined with thin black cloth on the inside. They will probably be impossible to find, and will be relatively expensive if you can find replacement copies.

They are indeed worth restoring, however.

page14.jpg

page15.jpg

Thanks for the page! Mine look exactly like the center pick at the top of the page. It had the same grill too. It was plastic. I found a small piece of it inside the cabinet.

Thanks Again!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom