Another pair of ADS speakers rescued . . .

1koolcat

Gizmo rocks!
Subscriber
I picked up this pair of black vinyl ADS speakers last summer at a local garage sale. Was not able to test them before purchase, but decided to take a chance on them anyway. They were a little beat up with screwrings inserted in the backs so they could hang from a wire(?). I discovered after testing them that they had the not so rare woofer corrosion problem. Light rust forms on the metal woofer frame and the woofer cone adhesive lets go allowing the cones to flap at moderate volumes.

I had the woofs repaired at a local repair shop for a very modest cost and finally got a "ROUNDTUIT" today: I bolted the woofers back into the cabinets and hooked the L570 (mark II) speakers up to my ADCOM two channel system. I couldn't turn them up very loud as it was after 9pm and I didn't want to disturb the neighbors, but they sound nice.

Right now I'm listening to the local public radio station playing classical tunes in the background as I work on the computer. These puppies are efficient, especially compared to my fairly new Magnepan 1.6QR speakers seen alongside the ADS. Tomorrow I'll be able to play a little rock 'n roll at louder volumes for testing the overall sound reproduction.

I know that these are modest models in the ADS lineup, but I feel fortunate to have found them. I plan on taking them to a friend's place soon where we have a bit more room to A/B them with some other speakers.

Meanwhile, I took advantage of the nice weather this afternoon to shoot the metal grills with some RUSTOLEUM satin black paint. When I first bought these my intention was to maybe flip them for a profit, but I may end using these in my garage system. The black vinyl cabs scream "utility" but more importantly the sound is impressive for a medium sized two way speaker.

Attachments

• ADS570s_01.jpg
    ADS570s_01.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 61
  • ADS570s_02.jpg
    ADS570s_02.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 107
  • ADS570s_03.jpg
    ADS570s_03.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 543
I made more progress on this project.

The attached pictures show the last coat of spray paint drying on the metal grills.

The next several show the speakers set up in my work shed powered by a Craigslist YAMAHA receiver of modest power. The left hand speaker grill came with a slight dent that I'm not going to try to fix. I have saved the black cloth/paper from the rear of the grills that I might try to re-attach with spray adhesive later on.

The last pic shows the YAMAHA CR-640 that needs re-lamping and a little more TLC to become a "keeper".

Attachments

• ADS_grills.jpg
    ADS_grills.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 25
  • ADS570_04.jpg
    ADS570_04.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 24
  • ADS570_03.jpg
    ADS570_03.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 33
  • ADS570_02.jpg
    ADS570_02.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 26
  • YAMAHA-CR640.jpg
    YAMAHA-CR640.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 28
I've got a few pairs that need a bit of attention. Your post has prompted my need to look after these :)

I kinda like the look without the cloth on the backside of the grilles.

I love seeing folks resurrect these wonderful speakers. My L880s are in good working order (recently refoamed the woofers) but the cases need some attention. Your thread has me thinking I need to get to work on them seeing's how I have had them since 1984 and maybe it's time. ;)

On my L570 II, I had to replace a component in the crossover, forgot it's name, that's there to protect the tweeter. On mine, it prevented the tweeter from working, so I got rid of it. I was advised to fuse the tweeters (like on my L420); still workin' on that one. Found that the L690 tower used the same drivers as the L570 II; made a pair of faux L690 cabs an mounted everything up. Sounds good, but looses to my Braun 710a (unfair comparison, I guess) and, in a weird way, to the L420, which has next to no low end but sounds smoother. Since I try not to listen so loud, I think the L420s will stay.
Mike

COngrats on the find. I found a pair of L-570 mk1's for $30 in a thrift last year and have been enjoying them ever since. They waged an epic battle with the Dynaco A-25's to see which ones would stay.

You called the 570 a "modest model" in the line up. I think that's a fair statement, but I've heard a few people claim that it's the sweet spot in the 2-ways from ADS. Can't say that myself from experience. I just know I love these little speakers for living room duty.

I'm inspired by your work on the grills. Mine have some stuff spattered on them and a dent or two. Also mine are in Teak veneer with some rough spots. I think I'll work on them when school gets out next month.

Back
Top Bottom