Auditioned the Kef LS50 + Blade - wow!

You guys need to start an LS50 owners thread.
I'm looking at you
geetarpicker, beatcomber, cannuckaudiog, RGA, thedelihaus, ArtK, Fat Fingers, dmormerod, RDSChicago, BmWr75, RobertVL, wgb113, and the late JohnVF.

That's not a bad idea. :D

You guys need to start an LS50 owners thread...

I thought this WAS the LS50 thread!!!

It was definitely a bold and decisive move to part with the 107s...

As for a comparison between the Kef 107s and the Kef LS50s, there are some fairly important differences and also similarities between the two...

The LS50s are more forward sounding, and more neutral. They took away the laid back, "British" sound so typical of the vintage Kef speakers. The treble response on the LS50s is also quite a bit better and the dispersion is far better, I found the 107s to have a tighter sweet spot...

Personally, I like the way the LS50s sound more than the 107s. I didn't mind the laid back presentation but on some music it would sound a bit "slow" and relaxed, whereas the LS50s are more exciting and natural to listen to. On the whole this is what makes it better for myself. I think the 107, if you preferred its voicing, would no doubt be the better sounding of the two, but again there are enough differences that would allow one to easily prefer or think one is better than the other. YMMV, in other words.

Good feed back Cannucker... I can see where the newer materials in the LS50 would provide a more defined sound (ie; less laid back). I myself listen to a lot of Jazz so I like the "smoothness" and "softness" of the older materials, but I can understand how the newer designs have evolved to provide real engagement and nuance.

Yanno... you're almost getting me considering these!!! But I think I have my heart set on trying to scrounge up some sweet Spendors somewhere!!! ;)

Edit: Dang it... missed first on Page 12 by one post!!! :banana:

This audio hobby is preventing me from going to work as early as I used to! More fun than talking to clients, right?

I thought this WAS the LS50 thread!!!

Good feed back Cannucker... I can see where the newer materials in the LS50 would provide a more defined sound (ie; less laid back). I myself listen to a lot of Jazz so I like the "smoothness" and "softness" of the older materials, but I can understand how the newer designs have evolved to provide real engagement and nuance.

Yanno... you're almost getting me considering these!!! But I think I have my heart set on trying to scrounge up some sweet Spendors somewhere!!! ;)

Edit: Dang it... missed first on Page 12 by one post!!! :banana:

Haha! Well, I think you should go check them out at the least and see what this new Kef sound is like. It's different, but very good!

I'm looking at you
geetarpicker, beatcomber, cannuckaudiog, RGA, thedelihaus, ArtK, Fat Fingers, dmormerod, RDSChicago, BmWr75, RobertVL, wgb113, and the late JohnVF.

I don't personally own a pair, but have spent lots of time listening to them at my friend's shop.

I spoke with him last night and at least two pair are on the way. I'll try to set up a private listening session for local AKers in the Boston area that are interested. Bryston, Electrocompaniet and Prima Luna (tubes) are also at our disposal. I know of a few folk who asked me about them at the local AK fest we just had.

I'm looking at you

John left the board - AFAIK he's still among the living ! ;)

John's the one that stoked my interest in these...he's to thank for my renewed love of serious listening sessions.

I'm heading out of this thread for the official LS50 thread.

Bill

How many of you use your LS50's with a sub? There seems to be controversy over sub use and many varying opinions as to whether the sub detracts from the purity of sound these small little gem of a speaker put out. And what size stands are you using? I have 27" stands and the tweeter is just below my ears in the listening position. Some have said you need 29 or 30" stands.

IMO, a sub is mandatory. I need to hear those lower octaves. When the sub is properly integrated, there should be no smearing or muddying. Even in my 9 x 12 room, the bass is deep and defined.

I have an Ikea Poang chair for listening, so 24" stands are just about right. 26" stands might be a little better.

I won't be using a sub and don't find it necessary with any standmount worth owning. Personal preference.

I wouldn't want to use a sub with this speaker for music . The last string of a bass guitar comes in at about 40 hz . I don't listen to much pipe organ music. I have heard a couple of good sub systems but most IMO took away from the speakers magic if you need 40 hz or lower I think there are a few designs capable of this .....

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to use a sub with this speaker for music . The last string of a bass guitar comes in at about 40 hz . I don't listen to much pipe organ music. I have heard a couple of good sub systems but most IMO took away from the speakers magic if you need 40 hz or lower I think there are a few designs capable of this .....

Which gives me pause since they spec at 47 Hz.

IMO, a sub is mandatory. I need to hear those lower octaves. When the sub is properly integrated, there should be no smearing or muddying. Even in my 9 x 12 room, the bass is deep and defined.

Agreed. No mini monitors on their own can satisfactorily reproduce piano sound, let alone orchestral. I'd go with more than one sub tho.

...and pipe organ lower than that. However I don't need to produce the whole of it to suspend disbelief. I also don't need to listen to orchestral music and rock music at 100db + to enjoy it. Usually in the upper 70's to low 80's works a treat for me. Having owned a whole lot of good subs I can say with confidence that I prefer my 2 channel music better without. Home theater on the other hand...

I will say with all the money Kef could have made offering a sub woofer with the ls 50 Its strange that they didn't develop one for them ? Guess they were happy with the way they were? Or were not happy with the result of adding a sub.In the reviews Ive read on these and there are a few there isn't one that I have read were they have added a sub I have read a few were there is a question mark on this .

Last edited:
Good point, Wissons. The same argument could be made that they should have offered stands. Imagine all the extra profits they would have reaped if they sold stands which integrated specifically with the LS50's!

I've heard some very dynamic piano & orchestral concerts live in the world's best concert hall. It doesn't even have to be the world's best to know that such music requires that deep bottom.

Having said that, I wouldn't say mini-monitors must go with the accompanying subs. Any subs would do. In fact most full-ranging speakers with large woofers still benefit from subs or Distributed Bass.

Mini-monitors typically have better imaging than floor-standers though. Works a treat with chamber music. They have smaller foot-prints, which is beneficial for modern living environments. I note Canuk's ot Beat's room wouldn't work too well with large speakers for example.

And damn they look pretty :D

That is your opinion Dave and I respect that....My experience with subs and ported speakers was quit different I heard a set of speakers this weekend I had for a bit gave them to a friend as a loaner he had them with a sub playing In my opinion it sounded terrible took more away from the speaker then added and my buddy just didn't get into the audio world . And yes Canucks room looks fantastic. My wife can teach piano I love to listen to her play.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom