Books you remember most

One of my favorite books from my childhood was Johnny Yuma,the story of a confederate soldier after the Civil War.

I mentioned this in passing in another thread,a month later the book arrived in the mail from JDaniel.That's friendship,Amigos

Alan

I was a big Isaac Asimov fan in the early days of high school after I found a copy of I Robot in the school library. Also read a lot of Heinlein and Bradbury. Later on I went through a Steinbeck period and read most of his books.

- Pete

Nevil Shute Norway wrote some GREAT books...

Sandy G said:
Anyone else read "On the Beach" by Neville Chute? It will kinda chill yer chit, too..

...and of course "On the Beach" is one of his best, and a great movie too...absolutely chilling and all very plausible, still. There is a foundation and NSN Society at: http://www.nevilshute.org/ His autobiography is quite fascinating: "Slide Rule: The Autobiography of an Engineer".

My copy of "On the Beach" is an Australian/New Zealand first edition...I thought appropriate as most of the book is set in "Oz", the last place on earth where there is life after a nu-clear (NOT nuke-u-lar) war...

So many books and audio equipment and so little time...

Another one that's a good read is "Guns of the South" by Harry Turtledove. It's an historical "What If"-in this case, s'pose Rob't E. Lee & the Army of Northern Virginia had PLENTY of AK-47s & ammunition.....Well, WE win the War of Yankee Aggression in short order, but just as today, things don't always turn out like you want them to...

That'd be just great if that happened. Then I wouldn't have to travel far to hear "Y'all want hush puppies with thayat?"

You lost so god would spare me that hell.

What no Kerouac readers come on...

Kindof a road trip junkie reader...other than some of the classics already mentioned

"On the Road" Jack Kerouac
"Blue Highways" William Least Moon
"Atlantic High, A Celebration" William F. Buckley

How about "Johnny Got a Gun". It is about a soldier who is injured in the war and is in a vetrans hospital. The soldier lost his sight, hearing, both legs and arms and had half is jaw blown off. It is told from the soldiers perspective in his thoughts. It showed his struggle to communicate.

MitsuMan said:
Haven't read Delany. Might have to pick up Dalgren and give it a read. I really enjoy Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle though. How about Philip Jose Farmer? Read any of his work? :thmbsp:

I haven't read any of Philip Jose Farmers work, what do you recomend to start with. I usually find an author I like and then start reading all of thier work I find.

I enjoy Larry Niven and Jerry Pounelle, Larry Niven, Ringworld, Ringworld Engineers, The Integral Trees, Smoke Ring were great as well as the Tales of Known Space.

Jerry Pournelle also wrote the Gripping hand as part of the mote in God's Eye and Lucifer's Hammer.

I heard Morgan Freeman is still hoping to release a movie of Rendezvous With Rama by Aurther C Clark. Ended up 4 books in that series which doesn't quite fit with Rama and everything is in three's.

Jim

Fahrenheit 451 and, when I was in grade school/jr high I really enjoyed the stuff written by Gary Paulson--when it comes to books for young kids, he writes good stuff...1984 was good, as was to kill a mockingbird, I also enjoyed (and was scared by) Stephen King's "Pet Cemetary" actually a lot of king's demented shit is really great. Another book I like a lot, I have read a few times and wouldn't mind reading again--call me a woman, but "Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop" was a good book....

Jim Eck said:
I haven't read any of Philip Jose Farmers work, what do you recomend to start with. I usually find an author I like and then start reading all of thier work I find.

I enjoy Larry Niven and Jerry Pounelle, Larry Niven, Ringworld, Ringworld Engineers, The Integral Trees, Smoke Ring were great as well as the Tales of Known Space.

Jerry Pournelle also wrote the Gripping hand as part of the mote in God's Eye and Lucifer's Hammer.

I heard Morgan Freeman is still hoping to release a movie of Rendezvous With Rama by Aurther C Clark. Ended up 4 books in that series which doesn't quite fit with Rama and everything is in three's.

Jim

I highly recommend The Image of the Beast by Philip Jose Farmer. If you like that, then you'll like a large portion of his work. :thmbsp:

.'There Is A River' ...Edgar Cacye..... that reely makes you open yer eyes on how things are...metaphysicaly.....[/QUOTE]

In High school I went through a metaphysical phase. Edgar Cayce was one of my favorites. He seemed to have a goodly amount of witnesses and cures that worked. His medical advice is cross referenced and available from his foundation established by family members, I'd read a number of book about him, right up until one of the book detailed his channeling of Jesus Christ. That was the end for me, he'd left metaphysic and cross over into something else.

MitsuMan said:
I highly recommend The Image of the Beast by Philip Jose Farmer. If you like that, then you'll like a large portion of his work. :thmbsp:

I'll pick up a copy and give it a read, Thanks. Just finishing "Enders Shadow".

Jim

jonman said:
How about "Johnny Got a Gun". It is about a soldier who is injured in the war and is in a vetrans hospital. The soldier lost his sight, hearing, both legs and arms and had half is jaw blown off. It is told from the soldiers perspective in his thoughts. It showed his struggle to communicate.
I believe that is Garp's father.

Shane
Illusions

hakka26 said:
I believe that is Garp's father.

Shane
Illusions

Not sure what this is referring to, but the book mentioned above is actually titled Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo.

tentoze said:
Not sure what this is referring to, but the book mentioned above is actually titled Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo.
OOPs, wrong book, same premise—incapacitated soldier and nurse.

Illusions and Shane in reference to books,

The World According to Garp started with a soldier not unlike the one described above. Actually, that's a pretty good book too. I am one of the few people on earth who enjoyed the movie version, as well.

Back
Top Bottom