Built A New Shed

pioneervato

Lunatic Member
I probably have way too much stuff in my garage and so I decided that I would build a shed. The shed measures 8x12 and stands right at 10ft at the peak. The door I made for it measures 40" x 80".

This particular shed is a truss shed. The trusses were made at a local truss company and my daughter helped me put them in place one by one. She held them in place and I showed her how to use the level to check for plumb with my 6ft level while I nailed them in place using blocking and my pneumatic framing nailer.

The foundation framing is made from 2x4 treated lumber and the flooring is 3/4" T&G OSB flooring which received a nice coat of decking paint today.

Once all of the truss walls were up I cut the 2x6 fascia boards and nailed the two on the eaves first then cut "lookouts" for the gable ends of the shed and attached the rest of the fascia to complete the fascia trim. All corners were mitered at 45º to accept each other.

The OSB sheathing went up next and followed by drip edge on the eves first, 30# felt stapled to the sheathing, followed by attaching drip edge on the rake sides on top of the felt and then the asphalt shingles. Next was the siding, trim board, door, and paint.

The shed became more involved than I anticipated but it turned out pretty good, overall. All that is left to do is some interior finish work and some touch up painting and I can finally fill it up with all of my garden tools, wood stock for future building projects, and whatever else I can cram in there. I have even entertained the thought of constructing a layout for my "N" gauge trains.

Attachments

• Shed Frame.jpg
    Shed Frame.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Shed Roof.jpg
    Shed Roof.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Shed Siding.jpg
    Shed Siding.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 37
  • Shed Finished.jpg
    Shed Finished.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Truss Frame.jpg
    Truss Frame.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 24
Nice shed! I helped a friend build one about twice that size, he uses it as a small wood working shop. I want one of my own. :yes:

Ahhhh a mans best freind his bolt hole. Electric in there, fridge, workbench, amp set of speakers and your away.

Good job!

I notice a cable out the side of the finished image and assume this is for the power? Are you going to trench the circuit to the house distribution board?

And why the timber floor as opposed to a concrete slab?

Sorry. I'm facinated by the different techniques we use in our countries. I suppose it's related to the environment. Here in Queensland Australia at 27 degrees South we have to deal with termites.

Nice job! Where's the air conditioner going to go?:D

Sadly, no A/C for this shed. Just a shop light and a couple outlets is all and no insulation.

Good job!

I notice a cable out the side of the finished image and assume this is for the power? Are you going to trench the circuit to the house distribution board?

And why the timber floor as opposed to a concrete slab?

Sorry. I'm facinated by the different techniques we use in our countries. I suppose it's related to the environment. Here in Queensland Australia at 27 degrees South we have to deal with termites.

The cable you see is a pigtail I wired into the shed and going to a light switch that will control power to the shop light and two outlets. Nothing that will require a lot of current. The power will come from a heavy duty 12 ga. outdoor extension cord coming from my connection in the patio area of my house. A run of about 25 feet or so. It was a simple solution and allows me to use power their when I need to without the trouble of trenching cable to my power box which is by the front of the house and on the other side. A run of at least 60 feet that would require a lot of work to get to and more than I wanted to deal with.
The inside of the shed was wired using 14/2 romex wiring.

As for the timber floor vs. a concrete slab I would have preferred the slab but our here we don't have that much rain and the treated lumber will last a long time and made to resist rotting , termites, etc. Plus it was cheaper to construct for this size shed. If I had gone with a bigger shed I would have seriously considered a concrete slab for sure.

Last edited:
Did a very nice job on the build from what I can see. Wish I was able to do mine a few years ago , the people who did it were .... well let's just say 1/2 A$$ @ full price .

Barney

Back
Top Bottom