Cat proofing my audio setup.

make sure he has a good scratching thing or two(that he likes;you may have to experiment). that stack of gear w/ the tt on top looks precarious-make sure it can't tip over;even if they can't park there, they will check out a spot. the cords probably won't be a problem, just make sure pulling on them won't topple something. i've got seven of them wandering in and out around here and i find that they have to know about everything, but once they do , they'll settle on a route. the critical stuff i surround w/a sturdy enclosure and i have incorporated several 'perches' w/ secure approaches into the 'decor'. i know that doesn't work for everyone, but the cats add more to my life than the audio and i love the audio(plus, in reality, i can replace and even upgrade the gear, but not the companions who have been there regardless of my circumstances), a 5yr old will probably not be too much trouble provided he gets attention and has diversions when you(or someone) is not around. good luck!
nice gear, by the way.

Last edited:
make sure he has a good scratching thing or two(that he likes;you may have to experiment). that stack of gear w/ the tt on top looks precarious-make sure it can't tip over;even if they can't park there, they will check out a spot. the cords probably won't be a problem, just make sure pulling on them won't topple something. i've got seven of them wandering in and out around here and i find that they have to know about everything, but once they do , they'll settle on a route. the critical stuff i surround w/a sturdy enclosure and i have incorporated several 'perches' w/ secure approaches into the 'decor'. i know that doesn't work for everyone, but the cats add more to my life than the audio and i love the audio(plus, in reality, i can replace and even upgrade the gear, but not the companions who have been there regardless of my circumstances), a 5yr old will probably not be too much trouble provided he gets attention and has diversions when you(or someone) is not around. good luck!
nice gear, by the way.

The rack that I have is rather stable, especially since the turntable weighs 30, the amp 60, and the dac, cdp and tuner about 25 a piece. I will let him tell me what works and what doesnt, he has to use the space as much as I do, and well....there are always solutions.

I do like the idea of a cat bed for him in the living room. More than likely he will be on my lap, but when hes alone..it would be nice to give him his own place to stay. Again, its up to him to use the bed...but i can always entice him with catnip :D
:smoke:
3469493196_56a1f0cd90_b.jpg

Sorry, but that is truly sad. I can't think of a more barbaric thing to do.... :thumbsdn:
.... and on that note, time to unsubscribe from this thread.
:sigh:

Never ever declaw your cats. They remove the tips of their toes.

Oh, good grief. Do I have to debunk this BS again? If any part of the toe is being removed, the vet in question is an incompetent quack who should have his (or her) license revoked.

My dad is a vet, he declawed both of my cats (one on all four feet, she's a bit of a brat), and neither of them have EVER had a problem because of it. None. The older cat had it done when she was six (she's 14 now) because she preferred my furniture and carpet to her scratching post, no matter what I did to train her in good behavior.

Another thing that will raise a lot of eyebrows is grooming - I give both of my cats haircuts. It keeps the shedding down and they're a lot more comfortable indoors.

Here's an old post of mine with a diagram of a cat toe, and the proper method of declawing: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2464392&postcount=83

Last edited:
I would follow the advice of others and find out how the cat reacts when you get it home. I have a 5 year old male and a 3 year old male that are fine around my Spec stuff and have not chewed on any wires or messed with any of my equipment. I do have a cat bed in the front window for them and occasionally they will chill there while music is on. I put a cat door into my basement so they have a place to go if they don't want to be bothered.

I also have a 75 pound Golden Retriever that the cats cuddle with all of the time and she will lay in front of the speakers while the music is at full bore and last night, all 3 of them were happily laying in the middle of the living room enjoying Beethoven #9 by the CSO on vinyl.

Both of my cats were laser declawed in the front which did NOT remove the tips of their toes. They will occasionally rub their paws on things but have always left me speakers and other equipment alone.

If I came home to find Bailey the Audio Dog sleeping on top of my turntable I would cast her off to the basement of doom for all eternity.

No wait... First I would get a few photos to prove it actually happened and then it would be off to the basement ;)

RC

OK.. here we go with the declawing... here's another vet's take on it, and they also say part of the toe is "amputated"

http://www.declawing.com/

Also another article taking neither side..
http://cats.suite101.com/article.cfm/pros_and_cons_of_declawing_cats

and here's a page full of reasons to, and reasons not too...
http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html

Personally, I've had a few declawed cats, and I've had some of the issues they talk about in these articles. I've had a couple other cats that it didn't seem to effect..

I won't have any more cats declawed though, because I wouldn't want it done to me..

Personal preference. Just be sure to research the subject well before you make up your mind on what one or two people say about it.

If I came home to find Bailey the Audio Dog sleeping on top of my turntable I would cast her off to the basement of doom for all eternity.

No wait... First I would get a few photos to prove it actually happened and then it would be off to the basement ;)

RC

..only to sleep on top of a turntable she finds down there :sigh:

My cat never touches grills or cables, she climbs inside of speaker cabs occasionally, but thats about it.

She loves listening to Dire Straits and Mozart, she'll just curl up on my lap and listen. Pretty weird I guess. She also hits the snooze button in the morning for me and "answers" the phone (lifts the receiver with her paw and bends her head towards it). Cats are great lol

Let's see, here........
I have this fancy stereo system, and I want to get this cute little kitty, but I don't want the cute little kitty to do what cute little kittys do, especially to my fancy stereo, so what can I do to stop the kitty from doing what it does, (which is why I wanted it in the first place), up to and including medical procedures to alter it?

I seem to be missing something here.:scratch2:

Let's see, here........
I have this fancy stereo system, and I want to get this cute little kitty, but I don't want the cute little kitty to do what cute little kittys do, especially to my fancy stereo, so what can I do to stop the kitty from doing what it does, (which is why I wanted it in the first place), up to and including medical procedures to alter it?

I seem to be missing something here.:scratch2:

You're missing the balance.

I wont do anything to stop the cat from doing its cat "thing". But I know of many people that have cats that dont destroy things, and get along fine even with claws. If he wont learn, then I can always use a product called "soft paws" Theyre rubber tips you can put on the cats claws to prevent them from causing damage.

Cats own you and let you live with them....but I still bring home the bacon, or tuna, or chicken, or whatever:thmbsp:

I tried the soft paws for a while.. my cat didn't like them at all. She would sit around and pull at them trying to get them off...

Now after not using them for well over a year, she will still sit around and clean her paws and bite her nails and pull at them. Never did that before I used the soft paws.

Of course.. your mileage may vary..

I tried the soft paws for a while.. my cat didn't like them at all. She would sit around and pull at them trying to get them off...

Now after not using them for well over a year, she will still sit around and clean her paws and bite her nails and pull at them. Never did that before I used the soft paws.

Of course.. your mileage may vary..

I'll do my best to not resort to soft paws. I have a feeling he wont need them.

Wished my cat didn't need them. The only scratching problem I have with her is on the edge of the carpeted steps leading up stairs... I rent too.. SOooo.. I'm about to try a mixture of vinegar and hot sauce this weekend in one spot she is really tearing up... I laid a towel over it for a while.. that worked, until she started trying to burrow under the towel...

She's gonna learn one way or another... I tried some of that anti scratch spray for a while.. worked about a week, then she got acclimated to it...

This cat knows better.. but she is trying to get to me.. and she knows it..

Maybe I should show her who brings home the bacon and tuna, and just forget to bring it home... BWAhahahahah

My first cat used to chew on power cords near the wall outlet. We just smeared hot-sauce on the cord and after a couple more tastes, he neve did it again. Hw and I would play-wrestle sometimes and he would bite my hands, not hard though. If it became too much I would put Ora-Gel on my hand ready for another play-bite. A minute later later he was trying to find his tongue. He and I had a great time and we loved each other a lot. (RIP)

As far as training goes, you most certainly CAN train a cet if their receptive to it. I trained this same cat to:

-Come when I whistle
-Sit on command
-Waive on command
-Lay down on command
-Speak on comand
-ROLL OVER on command (I've got it all on video)

He would also wake me if I slept in too late. Play tag by hinding behind a piece of furniture as you walked by. When he was only a few months old he would sleep across my neck.

The worst thing he probably ever did was sleep on the TT's dustcover, which was over 5 feet in the air.

Attachments

• DepoCat in digital.jpg
    DepoCat in digital.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
My first cat used to chew on power cords near the wall outlet. We just smeared hot-sauce on the cord and after a couple more tastes, he neve did it again. Hw and I would play-wrestle sometimes and he would bite my hands, not hard though. If it became too much I would put Ora-Gel on my hand ready for another play-bite. A minute later later he was trying to find his tongue. He and I had a great time and we loved each other a lot. (RIP)

As far as training goes, you most certainly CAN train a cet if their receptive to it. I trained this same cat to:

-Come when I whistle
-Sit on command
-Lay down on command
-Speak on comand
-ROLL OVER on command (I've got it all on video)

He would also wake me if I slept in too late. Play tag by hinding behind a piece of furniture as you walked by. When he was only a few months old he would sleep across my neck.

The worst thing he probably ever did was sleep on the TT's dustcover, which was over 5 feet in the air.

Your cat looks just like my cat Poco.

speaking of unsavory things and carpets. You might as well get a can of carpet cleaner for deoderizing and cleaning up after cats just in case. Not necessarily bladder or other untimely accidents, but consider the possibility of fur balls and other mysterious cough ups.

Personal preference. Just be sure to research the subject well before you make up your mind on what one or two people say about it.

That, I will agree with. Make sure you find a good vet, too (not just for declawing, but for all pet health issues). The few problems I've personally heard about from declaws all seemed to have been done by a very small handful of veterinarians...

Back
Top Bottom