Connecting Subwoofer to Vintage Amplifier

streak01

Hi folks.
Very new to audio and just purchased:
Sony TA-F700es amp
SMSL M9 DAC
KEF LS50 Speakers
Martin Logan Dynano 500 Sub

The TA-F700es has only Speaker A / Speaker B binding posts for bare wire.
The Martin Logan 500 has RCA input only

Currently I have RCA cables connected to Tape record of receiver to Subwoofer.. It sounds kind of "muddy" at this time (though I need to work on placement / low pass filter settings.. should I instead look at a line level converter?
Again.. extremely new to all of this.. so I may be asking dumb questions..

Wayne

Hi folks.
Very new to audio and just purchased:
Sony TA-F700es amp
SMSL M9 DAC
KEF LS50 Speakers
Martin Logan Dynano 500 Sub

The TA-F700es has only Speaker A / Speaker B binding posts for bare wire.
The Martin Logan 500 has RCA input only

Currently I have RCA cables connected to Tape record of receiver to Subwoofer.. It sounds kind of "muddy" at this time (though I need to work on placement / low pass filter settings.. should I instead look at a line level converter?
Again.. extremely new to all of this.. so I may be asking dumb questions..

Wayne

do you have the owners manual? if so I'm thinking the adapter circuit might be something you can use but I could be wrong.

using the tape out means you need to adjust the sub output every time you change the volume, not recommended, it can take several listening sessions to properly integrate a subwoofer.

You shoulda asked before buying the sub. You really needed one with speaker level inputs.

This, plus a pair of interconnects should work.

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-RFH...o+line+level+converter&qid=1624242927&sr=8-17

It was a package deal from an individual.. I did audition it, but not very well (or I would not be having this issue) ..
I tried to find a russound adp-1.2 speaker-level to line-level adapter, but seem to be hard to come by.. it was the one speaker level to line level adapter most recommended for having no noise / not impacting sound quality

do you have the owners manual? if so I'm thinking the adapter circuit might be something you can use but I could be wrong.

using the tape out means you need to adjust the sub output every time you change the volume, not recommended, it can take several listening sessions to properly integrate a subwoofer.
I have the owners manual for the sub, but not for the Sony amp..

It was a package deal from an individual.. I did audition it, but not very well (or I would not be having this issue) ..
I tried to find a russound adp-1.2 speaker-level to line-level adapter, but seem to be hard to come by.. it was the one speaker level to line level adapter most recommended for having no noise / not impacting sound quality
Well, good luck with your search.

"Speaker level" input on most subs is just a voltage divider... Easy enough to rig one up :)
The OP's first words were "very new to audio" so what seems "easy enough" might not be so for the OP. I'm sure any resources or help in directing a search would be greatly appreciated.

I just started researching voltage dividers for my own knowledge, and at first blush think I'd be more inclined to enjoy the LS50s as they are while selling the sub and looking for a compatible replacement with speaker level inputs.

(Actually, rethinking it, I might be even more inclined to keep the sub and look for an amp with pre-outs)

Last edited:
Late last night I tried connecting the sub to “accessory out” on the amp. Sounded much better though tested for only a minute. Ubergeeknz is right. I don’t see myself building a voltage divider.

To elaborate on my above post, accepting that the OP is not so inclined, but it may help someone out or at least be informative I hope.

I've constructed similar with good results, and as I alluded to, some commercial subs use a similar arrangement internally to provide high level inputs.

Because only resistors are used, this arrangement introduces no significant distortion to the signal, and because the impedance is relatively high (compared with a speaker load), it has no impact on amplifier performance.

These values will be good to about 100W into 8 ohms main speaker output while keeping the sub input to around 1.5V. it does this by using a resistor network to divide the voltage (at 100W, about 30v RMS) by approximately 21 (1.42v RMS).

This won't work if the amplifier is bridged (uncommon in home audio, generally), or for unfiltered LFE input, ie. the sub needs to have a low pass filter.

Note that car audio high level/low level adapters tend to use audio transformers, because bridged outputs are common in car audio especially head units. This isolates the outputs from one another so that nothing is shorted out via the common ground on the line outputs. Same applies if your amplifier is bridged, that's probably the easiest way to do it. But audio transformers, especially physically small ones, do introduce distortion. So if you can avoid them, all the better.

Anyway, here's a little how-to.

Materials:
4 speaker terminals
2 RCA jacks
enclosure to taste, shielding isn't necessary

OR

build it into a cable and use heatshrink
One end (speaker) bare ends
Other end RCA plugs
Long enough to reach from amp or speaker terminals to sub

2 x 20k 1/4 watt resistor
2 x 1k ohm 1/4 watt resistor
2 x 100 ohm 2 watt resistor

For each channel (ie. X 2)
* speaker+ - 20k - RCA out/center
* RCA out/center - 1k - RCA gnd/outer
* speaker- /gnd - 100ohm - RCA gnd/outer (will protect against shorts if you connect one channel wrong or if connected to bridged amp)
Connect RCA gnds together.
DO NOT connect speaker-/ gnds together.

(Note - you don't technically have to connect both speaker- terminals, as they are common anyway. In that case you can leave the 100 ohm resistors out and connect up the RCA ground directly to your amp ground / - terminal)

Testing:

Power off amp and sub.

Wire the speaker terminals in parallel with your main speakers and connect the RCA jacks to the sub with an interconnect.

Connect and start source. Electronic/drum and bass tracks work well here for obvious reasons.

Start with volume on amp at zero, balance center, and volume on sub at zero, set the LPF frequency to the highest for now.

Power on amp and sub. Wait for protection to click off.

Slowly increase main amp volume until the source is audible on main speakers. Make sure both channels are playing.

Then bring sub volume up slowly until sub is also audible.

Turn balance control all the way left. Confirm you still have sub output.

Repeat for right.

If no sub output at any of the balance positions, switch it all off and check wiring.

If it all works, set your levels up and enjoy!

Late last night I tried connecting the sub to “accessory out” on the amp. Sounded much better though tested for only a minute. Ubergeeknz is right. I don’t see myself building a voltage divider.

Hm, on checking the service manual, the "accessory out" (adapter out) should be identical to the tape rec out. It's just wired to the selected input directly. Sorry to say this won't give you volume control. Maybe your sound problems before were just a bad connection on the RCA jack sometimes they need to be pulled out and reinserted a few times to clean any corrosion or muck off.

Last edited:
Hm, on checking the service manual, the accessory out should be identical to the tape rec out. It's just wired to the selected input directly. Sorry to say this won't give you volume control. Maybe your sound problems before were just a bad connection on the RCA jack sometimes they need to be pulled out and reinserted a few times to clean any corrosion or muck off.
it's actually labeled "adapter out", I confirmed this wasn't an option for the OP in post 7.

As already mentioned by others his best option is this, or better yet two connected in stereo. I see the price has gone up, these were $148 not long ago.

Screenshot_20210621-082601.png

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...AMtW3LV-5glq-M0fF9uGks5OxXVmuTZBoC0jUQAvD_BwE

also, the Skipper gave a simple solution, no need to build anything, they already make them pre made to buy off the shelf.

Last edited:
You are right that is called adaptor out, but OP called it accessory out in his post so I used their language.

And just because one solution is to buy something "off the shelf", I cannot see the harm in describing a DIY option along with some information on how it works.

Cheers, and I hope OP finds a satisfactory solution.

The Skipper gave you a solution, no need to build anything. This is really your only solution without replacing the amp or the sub.

keep in mind more subs is a good thing:biggrin:

You are right that is called adaptor out, but OP called it accessory out in his post so I used their language.

And just because one solution is to buy something "off the shelf", I cannot see the harm in describing a DIY option along with some information on how it works.

Cheers, and I hope OP finds a satisfactory solution.
OP already stated not seeing himself building anything.:dunno:

I bought one (open box discount) and have no complaints, but as mentioned any of the less expensive ones should work fine.

Back
Top Bottom