Dynavector 20x2L - long-winded impressions

octaneTom

LORD OF DESTRUCTION
So I took the plunge into LOMC territory the other day. Picked up a slightly used 20x2L (claimed 10 hours) off another web site at half of retail. Installed it on my Rega P5 last night. Took a while to mount as the pins on the back are smaller than on my AT150MLX, so I had to fiddle with the cartridge clips with a pair of needle nose pliers to get them tight enough to hang on. 25 tense and sweaty minutes later all four of them where on nice and tight. After that it was really easy to align on the Baerwald arc and get squared up. Had to put the counterweight all the way at the end of the arm to get it close to balanced, might need to score a heavier one for this cartridge. Pulled out the stylus gauge and set VTF around 1.95-2g, in the middle of the recommended tracking force of 1.8-2.2. Thought about messing with the VTA but left it as is, with what I think is a 4mm spacer below the RB700 (sorry, bought this used a month ago as well, so not sure how it's set - it's got one of those rotate-able spacer bases installed so you can easily adjust the VTA on the arm, I haven't felt like messing with it since VTA looks close to level on both the Dynavactor and the AT.) It might be a little tail down looking at it again right now. Whatever, it's close.

Jolida JD9 is loading it at 1k, ran the Rega connects into the HIOUT connections, gain dip switch 2 on, which according to charts online is 85db of gain, which seems nuts, but it's about right into my 35w Primaluna to drive the Harbeth C7s. Switch 1 was too little - the Primaluna ran out of volume just below the loudest I like to listen. Switch 2 means I barely get the dial past 11 on the Primaluna - I think in between might be perfect, might try some 5751s in the Jolida and see what that does to the gain.

Anyway, I'm two days in, so these are pretty initial thoughts:

HOT. DAMN. From the first needle drop on Disappears "Power" it was pretty clear this thing was going to kick my AT150MLX's ass. The big things I noticed: bass, mid-bass and detail - lots more of all of it across the board. I can now feel and really follow the bass - it's a wonderful living, churning thing that snakes out across the room - and the cymbals seem to float in the spaces between the rest of the music. This is how I remember Noel's vistalite kit sounding live - dynamic and explosive. My fiancee snapped to attention from her laptop and had a similar reaction "Wow - that sounds amazing."

Next, I pulled out Cannonball Adderly "Somethin' Else". On the first track we both looked at each other..and she noted "Now it sounds like it did at the shop" referring to when we'd demoed the Harbeths over the winter (this was one of the LPs I took in to demo). And she was right - there'd always been a sense of perhaps not-quite-as-detailed-or-as-good as the demo room sound here in our living room (granted, David Michael Audio had the Harbeths hooked up to a new VPI Scout w/ I think a Shelter cartridge and what I'm guessing was a $5k VAC amp in a perfectly acoustic room), but I feel like that's gone now. Beautiful mid-range and strikingly real sounding instruments.

I think it's a great fit for my fairly laid back tube system - adds a little punch, a lot of bottom end, a bit of sizzle up top and a ton of detail across the board. It is currently doing Slayer "South of Heaven" justice.

I'll be sitting on the couch, spinning tunes, if anyone needs me.

Try Impedance at 100 - Switches 1 on , 2 off , 3 off , 4 off

And of course switches 5-8 all off

Then adjust the gain

Frank - why 100? The cartridge manual says 1000 or greater...

Oh wait - does it say between 1k and 30? Not sure how to read this:

Recommended load resistance: > 1,000 ohms / > 30 ohms

Hmmm... I'll mess around with it, thanks!

From looking at the specs I think it say greater than 30 ohms and less than 1 kohms. So depending on the rest of your system try all options in between. Regardless of the load, 85db is way to high. Use the calculator at KAB is should be between 60-65db gain with a .3mv output.

Dynavector says 30 ohms. The 1000 ohms is for the 20x2H. Their website is a little confusing but first numbers are for the high output version (where different). The cart does sound fine at 100 ohms but I run mine at 30 ohms per manfacturers recommendation.

for some reason mine sounds better at a low gain on my Nakamichi CA-7A. I actually use a 24db setting and it still provides maximum volume at 10 o'clock on the volume dial.

Agree it is a great cart!

Last edited:
Oooh, I think I like it better at 70 ohms - switches 1/2/3 all up. A little smoother? Interesting.

And sorry, yeah - looked at the back of my Jolida again, I've got gain #1 up which would be around 70db. 55 was too low. 60-65 seems like it would be perfect, but this is working pretty well, so until I can mess with the overall gain a bit I think I'll leave it.

Interesting that you chose 70. That's right at the impedance where anything less will start rolling off frequencies under 20khz and you'll most certainly hear it. It shouldn't sound too much different over that though, until you get it pretty high anyway.

I had this cartridge mounted on a modded RB250 for awhile and thought it sounded a little better with a couple grams of mass added to the arm, the Rega arm is a tad on the light side for the DVs given compliance. I actually used a little wad of polymer clay stuffed in the circle/hole right behind the cartridge screws. Easy enought to try out and reverse if its worse or makes no difference.

I'm thinking about taking the plunge on the 20x2h... I would love to hear more of your thoughts about it before I break the piggy bank. Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom