FM signal in the BOONIES???

gamalot

Comfortably Numb
I am just hoping some one can steer me right here. I live in the NY Catskill mountains and we don't have alot of FM stations available to begin with. We also don't get a good signal which is why I subscribe to XM.
I would like to know if anyone has found a great FM antena that might help in rural areas. If I have to I could roof mount one and run the wires to living room and family room but I don't know what to get for this purpose. We all used to have roof mounted TV antenas that worked OK on FM but since the satellite dish came out we get zippo on the tuner.
Your advice will be appreciated.
Gary

you need a hi gain directional tv/fm antenna mounted as high as possible with a rotator. Something that can pull in stations out 100 miles or so. FM is line of sight so if mountains are between you and stn. it may be a prob. depending how far away you are.

Signal boosters (amps) can help a bit, but be wary about using them in electrical storms. The best amps are ones that are placed at the antennaas opposed to near the receiver.

Good luck.

Regards,
Joe

It sounds like you are talking about going back to the old humungus TV antena of the past, mounted on a rotator! This is exactly what I did NOT want to hear. I was hoping there was some newer, less obtrusive alternative that would not cover half the roof of my home and be subject to wind damage.
We are all glad to see the old styles go because it seemed every year we were repairing the roof or the antena in one way or another.
I love the XM simply because there is a tiny, unobtrusive marine style antena and I have an endless number of stations almost crystal clear. What I don't have is LOCAL, news, weather or flavor with it.
Thank you for the info and time spent with me.
Gary

how far ??

Well, if you know you had decent FM reception before, then you should be able to get some decent results....

I have seen an omnidirectional "whip" style FM antenna that is designed to be mounted outdoors like your old TV antenna. I don't know how well they perform, but it would be fairly easy to install, low maintenance, and visually it would almost disappear.

Another option would be to install an antenna in your attic... invisible externally. This could be a simple home-made dipole , or it could be an antenna on a rotor if you want to go that way and space permits. It would be out of the weather and wind, and out of sight as well.

I am considering both of the above options myself.

There are also compact indoor antennas available that claim to provide more gain than a basic dipole... Terk seems to be a popular brand, but I haven't used one so can't comment on the effectiveness.

Of course a good tuner helps too.....

HP, Thats what I was hoping for, something small, preferably interior mounted and out of mother natures reach.
Oddly, I have small portable AM/FM radios that pull in good stations with a simple retractable whip antena rotated in the right direction. MY FM tuners are another story. The dipole works but I find I must mount and remount depending on the time of year and tree/leaf cover. The wife gets a bit upset when I start stringing unsightly wires throughout her living room.
Let me know if you test any of the alternatives you mentioned.
Thanks.
Gary

If you do not want to go the outdoor route, an antenna in the attic will work, unless you have a metal roof. Sounds obvious, but people sometimes forget metal affects reception.

There are some quite good RV style FM/TV antennas for sale out there. They tend to be compact and would be easy to mount. Some are omni directional. But any antenna works best if it is directional and properly aligned.

I live on the plains of the midwest, so FM reception is nearly perfect for 50 miles.

I've tried the Terk antenna and it was no better than a $2 diapole. (the diapole is all you need here)

There's the Godar that's supposed to be better, but haven't used one. (they're about $70) Much different than a Terk. Can be put in attic.

Don't really need an exterior roof antenna, but I'm curious if they would be an improvement here.

www.fmtunerinfo.com

Check out the above web site for tons of information related to FM radio. In addition to reviews of various tuners, there are also links to sites for antennas, etc...

It may help...

I live in a valley, with a ridge between me and the tower on Mount Ascutney. The radios in my car and truck receive FM signals fairly well - while sitting in my driveway. The tuners/receivers I've tried in my livingroom don't do nearly as well (not well enough to enjoy the music), via dipole or Terk amplified directional gadgets. Moving things upstairs doesn't clear the ridgeline, and creates no improvement. A roof antenna on a 30' pole would probably do it..., but I ain't that desperate.

I wonder if your better reception with portable radios in your home is a psychological thing - you don't expect good sound, so...

Bob

gamalot, what you don't say is how far you are from your favorite fm stations, or what if any obstructions exist between you and stn. (buildings, mountains etc.) It do make a diff. in recption. Some indoor "rabbitears" ants work and most don't do too good and I'm not familiar with any of them so can't comment on specific ones. Indoor twinlead dipoles are at best good for local stns, forget anything more that 20 mi or so. From day 1 I've always been an advocate of a hi gain directional rooftop ant. for best FM reception. There's nothing better. Attic location is second best depending on where you are relative to the stn. But I'm an old guy with old guy ideas so I may not be the best to talk about the new wizzbang stuff today. My Finco FM 4G has served me well for 30 yrs perched 16 ft. above my roof on a rotator.

Last edited:
You all could be right! My car radios do an ok job in the drive way. The portables do an ok job in the house but my expensive tuners don't do squat!
The RV style sounds like it could work in the attic on the old rotator from the outdoor big antena.
I do have to realize my stereo system amplifies all the bad in a signal while the small radios tend to be alot more forgiving in sound quality.
It just burns me that I can hit the seek button on the car radio and come up with 6 stations that are listenable while in the house I am only able to lock on 2 and they are not worth listening to.
The roof is not metal but the attic is not very tall so I would have to have a short squatty type mounted in the middle so it can rotate.
I don't mean to do this but is AM signal an entirely different animal or should I expect to get a bit of both worlds when I install the RV contraption?
Thanks again for the good discussion. I used to live in Rochester, NY, Flat as a pancake and the tunners pulled stations from far away easily with a simple diploe on the floor. Here, I have to streatch the dipole and practically hold both ends searching for a sweet spot.
Gary

OldHIFI, I am about 70 miles as the crow flies from the NYC metro area. I am just about at the top of a mountain where I should have a direct sight of NYC as well as areas of PA if not for hills and trees in the way.
Most of the more local stations come out of Poughkeepsie, NY, due east or one out of PA, south west. NYC would be south east.
I am sure I could get any of the stations I want by going 16' above the roof with an out door rotating antena but I worry about the wind, weather and lightning as well as upkeep.
I am searching for alternatives and had hopes that some of the new fangled dohickies might work.
I do have a buddy with a motor home and will ask him to drop by. He has an antenna on it so if it picks up in the driveway I should expect it would work in the attic.
Thanks again.
Gary

Roof top is the only way to go. If you properly ground your antenna, lightning is no real worry. It sounds like you can pass on the rotator, one would be great, but you could just aim your antenna at NYC. I'm 120 miles from Minneapolis/St. Paul and I use a cheap channel master roof top that I picked up for less than 25 bucks, a nine foot mast from Fleet Farm. The ground is a chunk of number eight copper from Home Depot that is clamped to the mast and I ran straight to the main ground on my house. Just look for the spot where the powerlines come to your house, then look straight down. You might find yours there. A booster amp will likely just add noise, but you will have to use one with 75 ohm cable. I used 300 ohm flat twin lead, they sell clamps to nail it to your roof and side of your house. Just put slow twists in the twin lead. My total investment was about 45 bucks and two and a half hours. I use a 1970 Sony ST 5100 and can hear all the stations I can stand to.

Like holst. A 3-4 foot mast with tiedowns, rotator if stns. run the compass, otherwise point, peak the sig and lockdown. A attic 2-3 ft mast or hang from rafters, point, peak, lock. Use 300ohm twinlead for best sig strength. 75ohm has more loss. Ground if you need it.
A 50-75-100 mi. tv/fm or fm only . Rat shack has good ones for low cost but maybe only tv/fm but no big deal. Either will work fine. tv and fm is basically the same just diff freqs. You'll be good to go.

I'm real low budget, I couldn't find a compass. Neighbors car has one so he pointed his Pontiac SSE for me. Radio Shack had a Channel Master FM 6 under a different name. Many rural places see some kind of rooftop, home depot, the Shack or any Fleet Farms out there. My mast is strapped to the chimney but there are lot's of other mounts available. You can spend more and get more, but my wife is 5'10" and NRA certified so I keep my overhead down.

Holst, Don't I agree with you! Spent 27 years as an LEO and was the weapons instructor. Taught the wife how to aim and BIGGGGGGGGGGGG
Mistake.
Now I worry!
I never got her NRA CERTIFIED because she already was certified in other areas so, like you, I just live in FEAR! LOL
If SHE could get past the smell, she would be FAT because there is not a live SKUNK within 10 miles of here. I am a bit worried about the squirels!
I too, keep the overhead down, because she enjoys the music but has no Idea WHY!
This is some funny CHIT but as real as real can get!
I am searching for the best solution at the least cost and have lots of good info here.
Gary

Ok. this may sound crazy, But it works ok and if it dosent work for you its cheap. buy a car antenna, coaxel cable, and solder the car antenna cable to the coaxel. mount that to the tallest point you can on your house. seems like the ideal length is 31 inches for the car antenna.

So gamealot, how long did it take for you to upgrade from something with Lafayette stenciled on it?

gamalot said:
SNIP
I am searching for alternatives and had hopes that some of the new fangled dohickies might work.
I do have a buddy with a motor home and will ask him to drop by. He has an antenna on it so if it picks up in the driveway I should expect it would work in the attic.
Thanks again.
Gary

If the RV type doesn't do the job, you should seriously consider a YAGI type directional on the roof, with a rotor. (I'm surprised no one has mentioned a YAGI as yet) Far less massy than big TV and set up specifically for FM not a TV/FM compromise.

You can home make a YAGI with slats of wood and wire if you want to try before buying, I should still have links if your interested.

Back
Top Bottom