Great "Every Day Carry" knives

Today, it`s an old (circa around 1980) Gerber Bolt-Lock, a collaboration between Gerber and Blackie Collins. I`m pretty sure this was the first folder I ever owned with a full-flat grind on the blade (most folders in those days were hollow-ground, in the fashion of the Buck 110). When I first used it, I remember thinking "Man, this thing slices like CRAZY !"

View attachment 988174
I have this exact knife as a gift, till this day it is my favorite to carry. This knife was my introduction to Gerber knives. Somehow the two bolt covers are now missing.

Now that I'm retired and doing my best to become a semi-respectable old gent, I've been thinking it's time to quit carrying a 9+ inch long [when open] folding hunter.
So, I've been looking for something smaller that might actually fit in a pocket......and won't necessarily frighten small children.

Problem being that after carrying large knives for almost 40 years, most smaller knives make me feel like a schoolboy playing around with a cheap pen knife.
So, there's a limit to how small I will go.
I'm also hopelessly old fashioned and most modern knives don't interest me at all.

At the moment I pretty happy with a couple I've picked up.
A Western 521, about 6 inches when open, and a Schrade 5OT at about 6 and a half inches.
Both have sheaths for belt-carry, but aren't bad in the pocket either.

The Western 521 is a bit jewel-like for my taste, but it's very well made and has a nice heft to it. Feels like a "real" knife.
Actually, I like it enough that I picked up it's bigger brother, a 532, which is about 7 inches when open, and imo, a serious knife.
However, the 532 is too big for pocket carry and, for its size, one of the heaviest knives I've handled.

I like the utilitarian look of the Schrade, but it's right on the edge of feeling like a toy.
It is however growing on me.
Pluses are it's light in the pocket and for whatever reason I can always get Schrade blades scary sharp.
These are also fairly inexpensive, so if I lose one I won't fret much.

So far, the Schrade is what stays in my pocket....even when I'm carrying the little Western on my belt.

Resized_20230902_112345.jpeg

It might be a good idea to check with the local police on your local carry laws. In central Florida your previous 6" knife would have landed you in jail here. To carry a big knife here you have to follow the laws for a concealed gun carry. It involves having to require two moves and containment requirements; so that access is difficult.

It might be a good idea to check with the local police on your local carry laws. In central Florida your previous 6" knife would have landed you in jail here. To carry a big knife here you have to follow the laws for a concealed gun carry. It involves having to require two moves and containment requirements; so that access is difficult.

Most of the info is available online, 3" blade length is common. I think that's true in VA and DC, MD it doesn't matter. Still carrying a Benchmade Griptilian every day, although I've had it long enough I could have justified the REI special I really wanted with the G10 scales instead of the regular plastic, but at the time I was trying several different things to find out what I liked/used. Maybe in another 10 years or so I'll buy another EDC...

That's one of the reasons I'm downsizing.
I don't travel often, but when I do it's usually by car, and I'm going to be taking a knife with me....I almost always have one on me.
I have no interest in breaking the laws of any state, even inadvertently.

The two knives shown in my previous post have blades under 3 inches.
As far as I know they are legal everywhere with the obvious exceptions of planes, schools, etc.

The folding hunters I used to carry are legal in my state. They have 4 inch blades, which for a long time was the max allowed.

Here's a pic showing the difference in blade length between what I used to carry and what I'm carrying now.
Also shown is the Western 532, which might pass as a 3 inch blade, but is actually a bit over.
EDIT: I checked again. The 532 has a 3 inch blade.

Resized_20230920_081533.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe you`re missing The Big Picture here. What was being described was the overall length of the knife (i.e., blade and handle). On most folders, the blade usually represents somewhat less than 50% of that OAL, so a folder with an OAL of 7 inches would likely have a blade length of around 3" to 3 1/4", not enough to offend (legally) in most jurisdictions.

this one stays with me most days... a Gerber Straightlace, cheap enough to wreck, but I dig the aesthetics
PXL_20230921_150600312.jpg

These are the rest; Custom shop Buck 110, Marshal Hall EDC, Case 'Candy Stripe' Gunstock, and the Gerber Straightlace
20221120_184702~2.jpg
I've got a few other Walmart and Home Depot cheapies, and an ancient Leatherman Supertool (replacing it with a Gerber Dual-Force).

The wife has a whole bunch too... big Buck Special, 2 custom EDC, and a 20+ year old Gerber Folder that I have no idea the model
20220429_211820_HDR.jpg20201127_104243_HDR.jpg20221120_115238~2.jpg

While I do not carry it daily, I carry it always when i am @ my wilderness survival camp in a densely forested spot along the France~Luxembourg border. It's a large military folding "jack" knife that is carried in a (OG, what else?) pouch attached to one's belt. The company Colonial (based in Providence, RI) manufactured mine and probably @ least 50% of all such manufactured.

CJK.jpg

Couldn't find an image that included the OG carrying pouch.

EDIT: I found this really crappy image from an old (expired) Ebay sale...

POUCH.jpg
OG pouch is canvas.

Last edited:
While I do not carry it daily, I carry it always when i am @ my wilderness survival camp in a densely forested spot along the France~Luxembourg border. It's a large military folding "jack" knife that is carried in a (OG, what else?) pouch attached to one's belt. The company Colonial (based in Providence, RI) manufactured mine and probably @ least 50% of all such manufactured.

View attachment 2991585

Couldn't find an image that included the OG carrying pouch.

EDIT: I found this really crappy image from an old (expired) Ebay sale...

View attachment 2991591
OG pouch is canvas.
You carry a Colonial Rhode Island knife in France, and I carried an Opinel in Rhode island that I bought while in France.
Gotta' love world trade :)

Back
Top Bottom