"Handy helper" turns into JVC RD-1696 "listening party" for two.

markn2wae

Mark T N2WAE
I got a call from markw a few days ago, he needed help in removing the guts from his Proscan TV to be sent out for service and I helped him out.

Having just repaired this RR unit, I was eager to try it out on another system and share the music on these tapes gotten a while back.

Mark said the would be time and I visited him Saturday.

One of the things we did was to do an informal non-scientific "shoot-out" between three recordings of "Whipped Cream & Other delights" by Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass, one on my RR tape, and one on CD, and the last on record.

The record and CD where close, the record was sounding best, the RR tape was rather thin and "washed out" sounding, :sigh:needing a good base boost (the loudness control seemed to be what it needed).

To be fair, other tapes sounded full and needed no base boost,so the JVC deck was not faulted (No, it is not the best quality unit, but for $5 and a $6 dollar part,you can't beat it):yes:

Speaking of parts, when I left the part on the counter and continued "shopping", the manager came over to me and looked at me strangely and said "this is the oldest part in the shop", :yikes:I said "it looks that way, is it still for sale?"

It was and I promptly installed it at the first chance I got (Soldering irons and eye lopes don't play well together (I burned my nose!:cry:).

Anyway, the after-noon went great at markw's and we all had a great dinner, including burgers off the grill "so big they won't-stay-in-the-bun size" , corn on the cob, beans, home made potato salad (complements of his wife).

Despite all the food, I went home and slept well, having a good "audiokarma time".:banana:

Mark T.:music:

Attachments

• JVC_RR.JPG
    JVC_RR.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 35
  • old_part.jpg
    old_part.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 25
Hi,

If pre-recorded open reel tape was used, it was likely the 3 3/4 IPS Ampex original version. The A & M 7 1/2 IPS tape is superior and actually duped on better stock at 8X speed. An original Stereo LP of this is still best (I prefer a Monarch pressed one for USA copies)

Mark-------
Sure wish you lived closer to me.
Why with a Sansui 1000A at each end ,and tapes and all kinds of music----plus my EXCELLENT barbequed country style ribs. It would be a grand time.
Oh Well-------James:beer:

BTW -I met MarkW at the AK fest 2008. Very nice person.

Cool deck, it looks like my Akai X-200D.

James, I think this is a different Mark, Markw vs. MarkW

Back
Top Bottom