hi, can anyone please indentify...

knighterrant

hi, im looking for any technical data / specs or really any info about this Philips Amp i was given. Its a "High Speed A" pre-main amplifier
the model no is 23ah833, it seems to be 190Watt and manufactured by Philips Electrical industries New Zealand. i've attached photos of the interior and exterior - all i've been able to discover is its "rare" and has a "large Toroidal transformer" any help appreciated - im thinking maybe it was manufactured in other countries with a different model number-

Attachments

• ph_fruntNbak.JPG
    ph_fruntNbak.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 121
  • ph_inside.JPG
    ph_inside.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 105
hmmm i do wounder how nice this amp would be my self as i just picked one up, yet to test it??ill keep you posted

The OP came back the next day and evidently hasn't been back since, but others might find your impressions helpful.
Interesting that two posts are by two people in New Zealand. Maybe that unit is an overseas unit or had limited marketing area?

Last edited:
This amp is a Denon PMA-15 (the version for Japanese market), apparently sold under the Philips brand in NZ.
The original (Japanese) Denon version is from 1981, the European market Denon version from 1982, the NZ Philips version probably from 1983.

Technical info:

Rated output 45W + 45W (8Ω, 1kHz, both ch drive)
35W + 35W (8Ω, 20Hz ~ 20kHz, both ch drive)
Total harmonic distortion 0.03% (20Hz~20kHz, at 1/2 rated output)
Output bandwidth 5Hz~80kHz (THD 0.1%)

Input sensitivity/impedance:
Phono MC: 250 μV/47 kΩ (Japan version only)
Phono MM: 2.5mV/47kΩ
Tuner, Aux, Tape 1/2: 150mV/47kΩ
Mic: 0.72mV/10kΩ (Japan version only)

According to the Japanese description, "the power amplifier part uses a non-switching A-class circuit". Class A is quite surprising, but the same information is found in the German catalog.

The version of Denon PMA-15 for the European market was a bit different, it had no microphone input/mixing, MM only phono stage (no MC cart support) and no switched AC outlet. There was also a lower model PMA-11, as far as I know that one was available only in Japan. It had lower power output puwer (17 WPC), only one set of speaker connectors, phono stage without MC cart support.

Matching tuner: TU-11, TT: DP-15F and DP-11F, casette deck: DR-11, speakers: SC-11.

I used to own a PMA-15. It's a nice little amp, sounds quite warm and pleasant, detail and soundstage not as good as my favorite Denon (PMA-250) but still quite good. Here's a few pics:
1708907192025.jpeg
1708907270344.jpeg

Last edited:
This amp is a Denon PMA-15 (the version for Japanese market), apparently sold under the Philips brand in NZ.
The original (Japanese) Denon version is from 1981, the European market Denon version from 1982, the NZ Philips version probably from 1983.

Technical info:

Rated output 45W + 45W (8Ω, 1kHz, both ch drive)
35W + 35W (8Ω, 20Hz ~ 20kHz, both ch drive)
Total harmonic distortion 0.03% (20Hz~20kHz, at 1/2 rated output)
Output bandwidth 5Hz~80kHz (THD 0.1%)

Input sensitivity/impedance:
Phono MC: 250 μV/47 kΩ (Japan version only)
Phono MM: 2.5mV/47kΩ
Tuner, Aux, Tape 1/2: 150mV/47kΩ
Mic: 0.72mV/10kΩ (Japan version only)

According to the Japanese description, "the power amplifier part uses a non-switching A-class circuit". Class A is quite surprising, but the same information is found in the German catalog.

The version of Denon PMA-15 for the European market was a bit different, it had no microphone input/mixing, MM only phono stage (no MC cart support) and no switched AC outlet. There was also a lower model PMA-11, as far as I know that one was available only in Japan. It had lower power output puwer (17 WPC), only one set of speaker connectors, phono stage without MC cart support.

Matching tuner: TU-11, TT: DP-15F and DP-11F, casette deck: DR-11, speakers: SC-11.

I used to own a PMA-15. It's a nice little amp, sounds quite warm and pleasant, detail and soundstage not as good as my favorite Denon (PMA-250) but still quite good. Here's a few pics:
View attachment 3130644
View attachment 3130649
And it only took 14 years to solve the mystery.

I suspect that it "might" have been assembled in Aotearoa New Zealand. There were import duties on a lot of things that could be lowered by having local content. All sorts of companies across industries did this. For example I worked for a small footwear company for a few years in the 80's and we would import some components from Taiwan and then use local labour and local materials like insoles to get around this.

Spare parts were often dutied at a lower rates and there are stories of people buying, for example, Fender necks and pickups and assembling guitars.

Back
Top Bottom