How many vintage receivers do you have?

That's a very nice setup! Do I ever get looking at the lights...that's where I fell in love with receivers. I have separates but will never be caught without a receiver in the lineup.

I use rabbit ears as well and frankly they work very well so there not going anywhere. Love'n your vintage accessories.
Heres the tables, speakers and cassette that feeds the 8080DB if you’re interested:

IMG_5645.jpeg

The AR4x’s came to me in that physical appearance so I was lucky there. The fabric surrounds have all been redoped, the ceramic pots were cleaned and rebuilt. The minimal crossover circuit inside showed no signs of distress, so was left as is.

Both Dual tables are in oak plinths I built and still need to be finished, stained and varnished. The 1249 runs an ADC XLM MKIII cart and the 1229Q runs a Denon DL-110. Each has its own dedicated ART precision phono preamp.
Both tables were stripped bare, cleaned, inspected, nos parts installed for wear items where needed and then put back together and properly lubricated. Both tables got graphite inmpregnated center bearing replacements and the 1229Q got an aftermarket precision machined ilder wheel:

IMG_5256.jpeg

Both return WOW measurement sin the 0.04-0.05% range, which is excellent for a table designed as a changer.

Even went so far to make a rotisserie to make working on them easier:

IMG_5260.jpeg

The EQ was opened and inspected and deoxit and faderlube was used in all the switches and sliders:

IMG_5722.jpeg

The cassette deck is currently under overhaul. Interior and switches/pots have all been cleaned. The motor has been taken apart and cleaned:

IMG_5717.jpegIMG_5718.jpegIMG_5719.jpeg

I’m currently waiting for a belt kit and test tape to arrive to finish it off.

Last thing is I just ordered a pioneer DT-510 timer. It aized just right to go in the space you can see between the EQ and 750. It will just be for looks though. Its silver face to match and its display is also blue “flouroscan” like the cassette deck. It will basically be just a matching clock for the room.

The 51 cd player is just the typical big, black Sony square box like so many brands were doing in the 90’s. It sits in the stand the Sansui is on, which is a refinished 1960’s General Electric am radio/turtable unit. It was picked up curb side and I gutted it (was all wrecked inside anyways) to hold my current gear:

IMG_5723.jpeg
Theres a great big oval shapped speaker behind that lower grill. It was a mono unit and the speaker looked to be in ok shape so I just left it in there. I’m not really happy with how the finish came out and may likely refinish it this summer. I may match the 1940’s banker chair (that was my fathers office chair) to the stain as well.

Big receivers are just the best of all worlds to me. They can handle just about anything you want to throw at then for music and have multiple inputs.

Sansui (IMHO) stands a good half shoulder height over just about all of them except for a very rare few. Even then, those few that can achieve what the Sansui does are only looking it “straight in the eye”.

Go one more step up the line and you’re talking the 9090DB (what I was originally looking for when I found the neglected 8080DB) and about the only thing that can match that beast is the uber rare (and uber expensive) Pioneer SX-1980 even though the 1980 spots the 9090 a good 100+ watts per channel. Theres ore to good sound than just outright power though...and these two stand pretty much dead even to me.

Sansui really had it goin’ on in the 70’s. Too bad they deteriorated into a cheap “big box” store brand…

Last edited:
From your list above I've heard the Sansui 771, in completely original condition. I quite like the XX1 series and the 771 in particular. Love that you run them as you get them. Lots of audio folks love there receivers as is, feeling recaps change the tone. When they sound great they sound great!
I thought I'd just give you a quick update, just got done A/B ing the Sx-780, the Rotel RX-602, and the Sansui 771 in original condition back to back, driving my JBL 6290 amp. I could clearly hear a difference between the Rotel and Pioneer everytime. The Pioneer had more, but slightly boomier bass. The Rotel had better mids and "airier" highs. I left the Rotel and swapped in the Sansui. I honestly could hear so little difference between them, I could barely hear any difference at all, let alone which is which. I guess thats what attracted me to the Rotel so much, it sounds almost identical to my Sansui, which until the Rotel appeared was my favorite of all. I honestly could live with any of the three, but the Rotel has preamp outs, so it is staying until it's recap time. Maybe opinions would differ after recap or with different speakers. I think if you like the 771, you will enjoy the Rotel

Heres the tables, speakers and cassette that feeds the 8080DB if you’re interested:

View attachment 3131781

The AR4x’s came to me in that physical appearance so I was lucky there. The fabric surrounds have all been redoped, the ceramic pots were cleaned and rebuilt. The minimal crossover circuit inside showed no signs of distress, so was left as is.

Both Dual tables are in oak plinths I built and still need to be finished, stained and varnished. The 1249 runs an ADC XLM MKIII cart and the 1229Q runs a Denon DL-110. Each has its own dedicated ART precision phono preamp.
Both tables were stripped bare, cleaned, inspected, nos parts installed for wear items where needed and then put back together and properly lubricated. Both tables got graphite inmpregnated center bearing replacements and the 1229Q got an aftermarket precision machined ilder wheel:

View attachment 3131788

Both return WOW measurement sin the 0.04-0.05% range, which is excellent for a table designed as a changer.

Even went so far to make a rotisserie to make working on them easier:

View attachment 3131782

The EQ was opened and inspected and deoxit and faderlube was used in all the switches and sliders:

View attachment 3131780

The cassette deck is currently under overhaul. Interior and switches/pots have all been cleaned. The motor has been taken apart and cleaned:

View attachment 3131784View attachment 3131785View attachment 3131787

I’m currently waiting for a belt kit and test tape to arrive to finish it off.

Last thing is I just ordered a pioneer DT-510 timer. It aized just right to go in the space you can see between the EQ and 750. It will just be for looks though. Its silver face to match and its display is also blue “flouroscan” like the cassette deck. It will basically be just a matching clock for the room.

The 51 cd player is just the typical big, black Sony square box like so many brands were doing in the 90’s. It sits in the stand the Sansui is on, which is a refinished 1960’s General Electric am radio/turtable unit. It was picked up curb side and I gutted it (was all wrecked inside anyways) to hold my current gear:

View attachment 3131791
Theres a great big oval shapped speaker behind that lower grill. It was a mono unit and the speaker looked to be in ok shape so I just left it in there. I’m not really happy with how the finish came out and may likely refinish it this summer. I may match the 1940’s banker chair (that was my fathers office chair) to the stain as well.

Big receivers are just the best of all worlds to me. They can handle just about anything you want to throw at then for music and have multiple inputs.

Sansui (IMHO) stands a good half shoulder height over just about all of them except for a very rare few. Even then, those few that can achieve what the Sansui does are only looking it “straight in the eye”.

Go one more step up the line and you’re talking the 9090DB (what I was originally looking for when I found the neglected 8080DB) and about the only thing that can match that beast is the uber rare (and uber expensive) Pioneer SX-1980 even though the 1980 spots the 9090 a good 100+ watts per channel. Theres ore to good sound than just outright power though...and these two stand pretty much dead even to me.

Sansui really had it goin’ on in the 70’s. Too bad they deteriorated into a cheap “big box” store brand…
There is actually a SX-1980 for sale near me on offerup(unaffiliated and sadly not mine).

There is actually a SX-1980 for sale near me on offerup(unaffiliated and sadly not mine).

talk about a cheapskate.

asking $9k for a receiver and can't go to ebay and buy a toggle cap for 20bux.:rolleyes:

really doesn't matter to me, i can get one local for $7k, in the box with papers. ;)

talk about a cheapskate.

asking $9k for a receiver and can't go to ebay and buy a toggle cap for 20bux.:rolleyes:

really doesn't matter to me, i can get one local for $7k, in the box with papers. ;)
They are incredible machines, and I'd love to own one, but I can't justify that kind of money. I have too many other expensive hobbies I need to blow money on as well.

They are incredible machines, and I'd love to own one, but I can't justify that kind of money. I have too many other expensive hobbies I need to blow money on as well.
i've gone thru 2x sx1080s and 2x sx1280s, i'm not impressed. doubt that i'd be impressed with the 1980. lots of power but i do not think they sound that great.

moving the 1280s around wasn't any fun either. i have no urge to move a 1980 and yeah, the money wanted is ridiculous.

My main interest in the SX-1980 is the power. I wouldn't need an external amp for it. I've never seen one in person, or listened to one. My only x80 is an SX-780. It sounds very good, but I place my Sansui 771 and Rotel RX-602 above it. I haven't come across any others from that series at a price I'm willing to pay. This hobby has to be self funded. By that I only buy gear if I'm 100% sure I could sell for what I paid, or more. By strictly adhering to this rule, all my current gear was actually free

Now four. Picked up a second STR-GX9ES to replace the one I've been using for a while. Needs some work, but, luckily, should be able to make one good unit out of the two.

Reactions: j!m
Back
Top Bottom