I got your Brussels Sprouts right here!

luvvinvinyl

My best pal, Molly
Subscriber
Alright, 'toze, here is a thread JUST for you!

Brussels Sprouts. If I grow 'em, and cook 'em, they are not bad. Young and tender, butter, a little garlic and lemon, what's not to like?

(Donning tin suit) Fire away!

Edit: might as well move this one.

I found them at least tolerable if you slathered enuff Marzetti's Salad Dressing on 'em.-Sandy G.

My wife hates them, so we've never had them in 27 years of marriage -- today's our anniversary. Much to the eternal gratitude of our kids. She tells them how she used to stuff her cheeks with the vile objects (her dad was a Captain in the Navy; food wasn't wasted, and he loved brussel sprouts) like a chipmunk, and then ask to go to the bathroom (sounding like the Mummy I suppose). She'd dispose of the offensive orbs down the toilet. A just fate if you ask me. Any food you have to doctor so much to make edible is just trying to fake you out.

Happy Anniversary, Wornears.

To my dismay, my wife won't eat them either. However, here is a link telling you why the little darl... buggers were usually so disgusting. Grown in the wrong climate, stored too long, cooked too long. No wonder so many people don't like 'em. That's OK, I grow all I want.

I don't despise Brussels Sprouts, but would REALLY RATHER have something else-one thing that strips my gears are green beans when they have those coaxial-cable strength strings in 'em..Yeccch! - Sandy G.

Sandy, pick 'em younger, and pull out the string. I have seen people wrestle with eating raw celery that has not been 'de-strung'. Ick.

Yeah, young tender beans that have cooked in a crockpot about a day w/plenty of bacon & a touch of brown sugar are about to die for...but if whomever's shuckin' 'em don't get the strings off, they're awful !!-Sandy G

Mr. Grammar Person takes umbrage

Thanks for sharing that U of Illinois link on the sprout, LV:

Brussels sprouts, is a hardy, slow-growing, long-season vegetable belonging to the cabbage family.

Anyone wishes to comment on the grammar and, punctuation in the, above sentence taken from there sight?

Is "brussels sprouts" a collective noun? If so, what do you have when you have two of 'em? Or can you even have two "brussels sprouts"?

I'm sorry, this just gets better!

The "sprouts" site, that is. No complaints about grammar or syntax on the section on varieties, but...

Hybrid
Bubbles (82 days to harvest, dependable, tolerates warm weather, resistant to rust)

Jade Cross (90 days, resistant to yellows)

Jade Cross E (90 days; sprouts larger, easier to remove from stalk than with original strain)

Oliver (85 days; early; easy-to-pick, attractive sprouts)

Prince Marvel (90 days; tight; sweet sprouts)

Royal Marvel (85 days; tolerant to bottom rot and tipburn; tight sprouts; very productive)

Valiant (90 days; smooth, uniform sprouts)

Bubbles???

Good ol' dependable Bubbles. Bubbles never rust (or is that Bubbles never rusts?)

Last edited:
Sign posted on the bulletin board of a WW2 Royal Air Force squadron: "If you MUST crash, please crash in a field of Brussels Sprouts."

funny you should say that Russman....

My daughter ( now a teenager) used that technique to dispose of some Brussels Sprouts ( she called them "big peas") , when she was only 6 or 7 years old...

She managed to clear her dinner plate by stuffing her pants with them, and making a detour to the bathroom as she left the kitchen table.

Of course her mom was fawning over her for having the courage to try them.... my daughter felt so guilty that she had to confess her crime! Wish she still experienced that feeling of guilt now as a teen...

Personally I think Brussel sprouts are great, as long as you pour a lot of cheese sauce on them.

But then again I could eat a bowl of dirt with enough cheese sauce on it ;)

This is sensational. About time!
You guys haven't lived until you've had them served in a Chinese buffet! Seriously! I had these just Tuesday evening. It must be the MSG they use by the hopper car-load, but man, they taste like nothing else. They don't overcook 'em til they're little balls of mush, either. Highly recommended! :thmbsp:

Tom

Back
Top Bottom