KLH model 22

I would add Model 30's to the list. Their smooth, balanced and effortless sound is a treat.

They really are pretty nice. I somehow hung onto the Thirties that came with the Model Thirty-Five system I bought 40 years ago. (I have NO idea what happened to the rest of the system.) Then a few years ago I picked up another pair at a thrift for $8.00.

Well, what else could I do but stack those puppies?! Pretty freakin' amazing!

John

Thanks for sharing these charts Rx. So many KLH models! I’m looking for a smallish bookshelf with 8 inch woofer for a near field listening setup. Considering AR and KLH to replace and upgrade a Boston Acoustics A60. Any suggestions? Would like to keep the height or length to around 20 inches or less.

I liked a pair of AR 8B speakers from 83-85 at work. I had a Sansui, 551 receiver (Maybe 15W?) driving them. Very nice.

in the MBR I have a pair of Boston CR-6 2 way bookshelf speakers, but they needed help on the bottom end so I added a KLH Basebrite II, "Sub" it only goes to 45Hz so not really a sub, but got the base working.

Perhaps I should clarify a few things. My receiver is an early 70s KENWOOD KR 6200 w/ 45 watts into 8 ohms. So not a ton of power therefore speakers need to be somewhat efficient. My early 80s series 1 Boston Acoustics A60s with 8 inch woofer are just about right but I am looking for slightly better sound with wood veneer cabs preferably. So AR 4x, 4xa, 6 are on my radar. As are Dynaco A25, Epi 100, and apparently a bunch of KLH possibilities. Looking for about 18-22 inches length since will be horizontal on a bookcase and do not want to use a sub. Not sure I could use a sub with this receiver anyway. Looking for East Coast “ sound w/ acoustic suspension design for preferred bass approach.

Last edited:
Fully restored KLH 22s and a Realistic STA 47 receiver (11 watts). Fantastic combo!

Also have KLH 20, 23 and 6. Wonderful speakers. The 23s are in regular rotation. They are remarkable.

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpeg
    IMG_0590.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 5
Hornbo, if that setup sounds as good as it looks you really got something! Is the amp capable of powering those speakers adequately?

Last edited:
Perhaps I should clarify a few things. My receiver is an early 70s KENWOOD KR 6200 w/ 45 watts into 8 ohms. So not a ton of power therefore speakers need to be somewhat efficient. My early 80s series 1 Boston Acoustics A60s with 8 inch woofer are just about right but I am looking for slightly better sound with wood veneer cabs preferably. So AR 4x, 4xa, 6 are on my radar. As are Dynaco A25, Epi 100, and apparently a bunch of KLH possibilities. Looking for about 18-22 inches length since will be horizontal on a bookcase and do not want to use a sub. Not sure I could use a sub with this receiver anyway. Looking for East Coast “ sound w/ acoustic suspension design for preferred bass approach.
I have the EPI 100 speakers, I really like the sound that they produce. Your Kenwood will power them easily. The speakers have been reformed, resealed rewired, and recapped. I am powering them with a variety of amplifiers: Bottlehead Seductor, Ampex 6973 mono blocks, Quad 303, Bottlehead SEX and a Motorola EL84.

Last edited:
I have the EPI 100 speakers, I really like the sound that they produce. Your Kenwood will power then easily. The speakers have been reformed, resealed rewired, and recapped. I am powering them with a variety of amplifiers: Bottlehead Seductor, Ampex 6973 mono blocks, Quad 303, Bottlehead SEX and a Motorola EL84.
I will move Epis to my serious "look see" list!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom