Luxman RV 491

mightyb

Hi,

This is my first post on audiokarma.

2 years ago, I grabbed this integrated amp out of a street trash and stored it in my attic.
Recently I bought a Q701 headphone and was searching for an amp to drive it. I remembered the Luxman, cleaned and powered it.

So far, it works very good with my Q701s plugged on the headphone out using analog & digital sources.
I don't own speakers for the moment so can't try anything else on the amp.

I would like to learn more about this unit.
I've searched all around the web to find the RV-491 specs or owner's manual but there's no information about it oher than the build year (1999?), even on japanese websites. Only found information about the RV-371, an older model.

If someone has information to share about this amp or previously owned it, please le me know.

Thanks.

Here are some photos :

Nice find. This is newer than the equipment we usually discuss in this forum. About all I was able to find out is that it's 105 watts/channel into 8 ohms.

I have never heard of a RV-491 I do own a brochure from the rv series line up. I use to own a RV-371 and and RV-387. The 387 sounded wonderful with tube like sound for an AV receiver. It also worked great. I still regret that I sold it since it is also rare. My guess that amp came out around 1998-2000.
Very nice find

Many thanks for your answers.

Yes, indeed, this is a late 1990's unit. I could have posted in Modern Day Hi-Fi.

I'm also surprised about the lack of information available on the net considering the build year.
Perhaps these were available on a limited market.
I'm living near Paris, France, don't know where the original owner bought it.
Anyway there's french printings on the backside, I think it's an european distribution.

If you're curious about the inside, I add some photos.
There's a heatsink in the middle of the chassis with a fan blowing (silently).
It's not as nice as the vintage monsters on other threads but it may be the only RV-491 inside photo on the internet ^^

If I manage to bring it to my father's home I'll test it on his Davis speakers to give it a try.
For now the headphone output sounds warm & good with analogic sources, sometimes a bit harsh with the internal DAC.

If someone has the owner's manual for this model, feel free to post, I will check this thread on a regular basis.

operator's manual Luxman RV-491

I own a Luxman 491 that I purchased on ebay recently. it was in mint condition still in its original wrapping. If you are interested in getting the operator's manual I could send you some pdfs if you give me a mail adress.

I own a Luxman 491 that I purchased on ebay recently. it was in mint condition still in its original wrapping. If you are interested in getting the operator's manual I could send you some pdfs if you give me a mail adress.
Hi, I just bought RV491, without remote control. Can you send me on private email manual for this box and if it is posibble type and pictures of remote controler. I'm trying to find informations about it, but with no success.

Regards RAfal,

Hi Rafa,

Got no news from Othmar, he must have been far from the forum.

So I'm still in search of this RV-491 manual, any help appreciated.

I don't own the remote either, if someone knows how to record / emulate the Luxman IR codes it would be a great help.

Still watching the thread

Hi
I found this thread via Google.
I have an RV-491, non-working.
Any chances for schematics ?
Thanks, Yair

Hi Othmar, it would be great if you could send me the user manual. I'll PM you my email address. Thanks

Have you guys tried hifiengine, elektrotanya or the AK database?

I haven't looked and need to leave in a few minutes but those are the usual sources for scans of manuals.

Also if I have lit that isn't available I will usually upload to both HFE and AK as my way of keeping it going

Have you guys tried hifiengine, elektrotanya or the AK database?

I haven't looked and need to leave in a few minutes but those are the usual sources for scans of manuals.

Also if I have lit that isn't available I will usually upload to both HFE and AK as my way of keeping it going

Thanks for your help, but I've searched those sites and countless others, but the RV-491 user manual is rarest than a unicorn.
The only place I've found it is www.noticemanuel.com, but it is very expensive 20+ euros and fishy "pay now but we will take the money only after you receive the product..." hmmmm no thx

Dear Othmar, I do not know whether after 9 years you will read this: I am in search of Luxman RV-491 user's manual. How can I get it possibly in .pdf format from you? Thank you in advance for your reply (I can communicate in D, F, I and E) Kind Regards

Dear Othmar, I do not know whether after 9 years you will read this: I am in search of Luxman RV-491 user's manual. How can I get it possibly in .pdf format from you? Thank you in advance for your reply (I can communicate in D, F, I and E) Kind Regards
Sorry, I am not familiar with this site. I am not sure whether I received a reply or not. Again my best regards. Gruss, Saluti et salutations

Last edited:
...I am not sure whether I received a reply or not.

@millobox

You didn't receive a reply because Othmar joined the same day he posted 9yr's ago (2014) and hasn't posted since.

I would also add putting an email address whether personal or not on an open forum is not a good thing to do as you could possibly open yourself up to being spammed.

You can still edit your post within 48hr's I believe so you might want to delete that out asap

@millobox

You didn't receive a reply because Othmar joined the same day he posted 9yr's ago (2014) and hasn't posted since.

I would also add putting an email address whether personal or not on an open forum is not a good thing to do as you could possibly open yourself up to being spammed.

You can still edit your post within 48hr's I believe so you might want to delete that out asap
ok thank you. I just deleted my e-mail address. Regards

Back
Top Bottom