New member in Minnesota

JoeNiemi

Hello to the group! Always had stuff that made sound and thumped but new into the Hi-Fi world, and happy to be here. I was afraid I would get addicted to buying vintage receivers, but I am happy to report that I am not... I am addicted to buying vintage speakers!

My short story. Got a Pioneer VSX-108 from my parents as a gift as a teen, still have it hooked up in the living room! My dad got some Fisher ST-830 speakers from his cousin, a rare set I cant seem to find anything on, so I got his old set of Fishers with the 12" woofers. I don't remember the model but they are out in the garage up in the rafters hooked up to a Marantz RS 2253 still doing their job. A few months ago I was at a thrift store and saw a cool looking Yamaha receiver for 30 and took it home, a mostly functional CR440. Was talking to my dad about it while helping with his generator and he tells me to take his old Pioneer, the one he had pretty much my whole life! Has been out in his garage for about 15 years and he said he has not even turned it on for 10. Buried in the back stuck to a shelf is his SX-950, the silver beast! I was happy to climb over his project truck to get it, though quite heavy to carry through a cab and over a chassis!

I have been having fun the last couple months re-foaming some speakers and various other projects. My first set was Advent 1008, I believe, that I got for 40 with bad foam. The second set I re-foamed was some Advent prodigy towers, pretty nice but I do like the 1008's more. I have re-foamed one of my NLAs and need to finish the other one next but I am quite sure I have a miss-matched set. The hardware is different colors and one of the tweeters just has solder, the other has threaded nuts. I got a set of EJ Korvette XAM 3D's for cheap, I love the cube design. I replaced the fronts with traditional speaker boards and removable grills. I also grabbed a set of mystery vintage speakers for cheap, no idea what they are, hoping someone will recognize the grill and partial label on back.

Having a great time playing with the vintage gear. I must say, some songs that I thought were okay before, sound pretty amazing on a quality system!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 13
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 13
Your in North Branch, just north of Minneapolis. I have traveled to Minneapolis many times to pick up gear. Thanks for the introduction and welcome to AK.

Last edited:
Must be in Minneapolis, the only place in the state where you could potentially find a decent receiver in a thrift store. Best I've ever seen is an Onkyo CD player. Not one of their best and pretty beat.

Must be in Minneapolis, the only place in the state where you could potentially find a decent receiver in a thrift store. Best I've ever seen is an Onkyo CD player. Not one of their best and pretty beat.
I actually found it in the little thrift store in North Branch just a couple miles away! I did see a silver Technics and Kenwood at a pawn shop near my work. Never know where an ex could drop off your stereo, store credit at her favorite thrift store lol

I actually found it in the little thrift store in North Branch just a couple miles away! I did see a silver Technics and Kenwood at a pawn shop near my work. Never know where an ex could drop off your stereo, store credit at her favorite thrift store lol
Welcome to AK!
I stop at that thrift store occasionally if that's the one in the old outlet mall. They've had a few items there that have caught my eye but I didn't buy. A Pioneer SX 434 and a pair of ADS L520 speakers. Receiver looked alright and wasn't over priced. Speakers were a little rough and, at least to me, were a little high on price, peeling vinyl veneer and damaged corner on cabinet. Same outfit has stores in Wyoming and Forest Lake. Picked up a decent Dual 1226 TT in FL last year.

Welcome to AK!
I stop at that thrift store occasionally if that's the one in the old outlet mall. They've had a few items there that have caught my eye but I didn't buy. A Pioneer SX 434 and a pair of ADS L520 speakers. Receiver looked alright and wasn't over priced. Speakers were a little rough and, at least to me, were a little high on price, peeling vinyl veneer and damaged corner on cabinet. Same outfit has stores in Wyoming and Forest Lake. Picked up a decent Dual 1226 TT in FL last year.
I am thinking that is Family Pathways? I got it at Another Man’s Treasure, got some Bates speakers for 30 at the one on hwy 65. I will have to stop in at the FP’s, I drive past all 3 every day

Back
Top Bottom