Parallel Single Ended Tube Amplifier Design?

diamondsouled

Recycle belly button lint!
Just wondering if those NOS Acrosound TO-290 OTs I've come across would be good to use in a parallel single ended amplifier?

Also wondering if there are some schematics around?

Thanks

Lar

Last edited:
My data shows the TO 290 to have a 12K plate to plate primary with 4,8, and 16 ohm secondaries. Power is 20 watts + or - 1db. (20hz to 20Khz) or 40 watts (30hz to 15hz). The literature also states that it is for use with triode connected 807s or 5881s in a Williamson type circuit.

Nope. Not gonna work! :no: You need a completely different kind of transformer.

Thanks Jon, now I know. Guess I'll hafta be happy with a PP triode set up.

Still the options are interesting.

Do the 1625s use regular octal sockets?

Lar

IMHO, PP triode sounds better anyways :thmbsp:

1625s are 7 pin. You can use 6BG6Gs instead if you want to stick with octal, but I don't know that they can handle the dissipation as well as 807 or 1625. Out of all the tubes in that family, the KT66 probably has the best triode curves, and is not likely to complain at 400V B+. But for cost, clearly you can do better ;)

Last edited:
IMHO, PP triode sounds better anyways :thmbsp:

1625s are 7 pin. You can use 6BG6Gs instead if you want to stick with octal, but I don't know that they can handle the dissipation as well as 807 or 1625. Out of all the tubes in that family, the KT66 probably has the best triode curves, and is not likely to complain at 400V B+. But for cost, clearly you can do better ;)

I've been running the GL reissue KT66s in my Quad IIs and they are very nice. Bit pricey but worth it. With a cat around I'm not sure having an amp that uses a plate cap would be a good idea, he's the curious type as well.

Cheers

Lar

In that case, if you already have another amp that uses them, my vote definitely goes to the KT66. Just look at these fine (triode) curves! :drool:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-15 at 3.15.23 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-10-15 at 3.15.23 PM.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom