Plinth Dampening & Other Mods

Not sure if it’ll work, but how about using Plasti dip? I’m sure it could be applied inside the plinth you would just have to tape everything off well before applying. And you could use it on the tonearm also. Cool thing about the Plasti dip is it comes in different colors.

4D493D30-6498-44CE-A67B-1BA448E0F876.jpeg

I had given the Plasti Dip consideration for spraying the underside of a plater, quick and easy to
peel off if the results are unimpressive. Although I bet it help a ringing plater if I had one.

Lay on a memory foam bed and hit your one hand as hard as you can on the other side of the bed with your ear into the mattress. You don't hear the sound come through like most materials. For this reason I think memory foam would be the cats claws for sound deadening. Considering it on the TT I am building at present but good memory foam is hard to get in small pieces.

Can I ask a question??? Doesn't a good rubber mat deaden that platter?? I've considered doing something to platters in the past, but that always seemed to appear sufficient.

Take off the mat, and diiiiing.

Put the mat on, not so much.

Didn't know if the added weight was worth it. Opinions welcome. Again, I've aggressively deadened plinths before (old MCS 6602, worked great with 2 lbs of modeling clay), platters, not so much.

I've been adding plasticine to two old turntables I have - a CEC BD-2000 and JVC L-A21, both with similarly unimpressive specs (wow & flutter was audible on the CEC) - and adding plasticine to the underside of the unsubstantial platters (especially the JVC!) really helped. No more noticeable wow&flutter and very good speed stability. I don't think the extra weight will strain the motor, especially if you nudge the platter when starting. If anything, I think the increased mass (especially if it can be put at the outer rim), will make the motor have to work LESS. Thank you inertia and the flywheel effect!

The increased platter weight and resulting less-than-optimal balance might accelerate wear on the spindle bearing, but I am thinking it won't be by much, compared to leaving it stock. And these are $20 decks, so I am not overly concerned if they have a shortened life. It is fun getting them to sound as good as expensive turntables.

Can I ask a question??? Doesn't a good rubber mat deaden that platter?? I've considered doing something to platters in the past, but that always seemed to appear sufficient.

Take off the mat, and diiiiing.

Put the mat on, not so much.

Didn't know if the added weight was worth it. Opinions welcome. Again, I've aggressively deadened plinths before (old MCS 6602, worked great with 2 lbs of modeling clay), platters, not so much.
I have a SL1200MK2 and it already has a rubber" under mat. It's atached so poorly I wonder if it's effective at all. That's been replaced by Dynamat.
Something came to mind one day. The best way to stop a bell from ringing is to hold (dampen) it by the outer rim. I just got another TT so I'll try that theory first chance I get. BTW, the plinth on this is thick and heavy. I doubt damping will improve thinggs

Picked up a SL-D2 for short money. Installed 5 lbs. of duct seal into the plastic plinth cavities and open space, staying away from wires and circuit boards. Sounds unbelievably good; better then I had hoped for. The lower and mid frequencies are much more pronounced. Using a 2M Blue cartridge. Very happy with this budget deck.

Back
Top Bottom