questions about p-2200

hi yall, i have just taken possession of a Yamaha P-2200 power amp.
Is this any good for a home amplifier? is it worth keeping? does it a give a full range of sound eg good bass mids and tweeters?.
Is it essential to have a pre amp?
EDIT i have a Sansui au 717 that i could use as one, i also have Technics sb 6000a speakers which are only rated at 100watts i am worried if i plug those into the Yamaha that it will just destroy them as its 240 watts rms per channel...
Also is it possible to run this amps in a line? could i have my technics SB's connected to my Sansui and the Sansui hooked into the Yamaha powering 2 other speakers?

Also when i bought it from the owner he somehow had an iphone hooked into it?
looking at the connectors on the back i don't see how he did it. most of the connections are alien to me. so some advice on what cables to use for this amp would be great and where to put them! lol
oh also the area where the needles are don't light up are they supposed to?
Im sorry i have so many questions about this...

I paid $160 for it in pretty good condition, a good price?

Technics sb 6000a speakers which are only rated at 100watts i am worried if i plug those into the Yamaha that it will just destroy them as its 240 watts rms per channel...
Only if you crank it wide open. ie turn the volume knob to 11..:D

does it a give a full range of sound eg good bass mids and tweeters?.

Hell yes..Google the specs of the P2200---( 20hz---20khz at least)

Your probably going to need 1/4" to RCA adapters...Or XLR to RCA adapters.

iphone to pre-amp AUX input . Pre-out to power amp input..

would the sansui au 717 be ok as a pre amp?

And could i run them in a line? E.G: the technics speakers hooked into the sansui and the sansui hooked into the yamaha (not as a pre amp) and the yamaha running its own 2 speakers? :scratch2:

My final and last question...if i decide not to use the sansui as a pre amp can someone recommend to me a pre amp that matches the looks of the p2200?

would the sansui au 717 be ok as a pre amp?

And could i run them in a line? E.G: the technics speakers hooked into the sansui and the sansui hooked into the yamaha (not as a pre amp) and the yamaha running its own 2 speakers?

What ? I'm not following you on this one. If the Sansui has a pre-out/main-in jumper. Go from the pre-out to main in on the P2200 with your speakers hooked up to the P2200. Maybe someone more familiar with the sansui will chime in.

What ? I'm not following you on this one. If the Sansui has a pre-out/main-in jumper. Go from the pre-out to main in on the P2200 with your speakers hooked up to the P2200. Maybe someone more familiar with the sansui will chime in.

well, i mean can i have both amps linked together both running different sets of speakers?(meaning 2 speakers in the sansui & 2 speakers in the yamaha?

I understand that i can use the sansui as a pre amp but im wondering can they both just be linked together somehow both functioning as full amplifiers?
and powering sound from 1 source?

:lurk: we'll wait for your two threads to be merged. Double posts happen, I know you want to get some help so be patient, it will come. BTW, the P2200 is a very nice amp.

You do need to relamp the meters, they are small bulbs that I think can be replaced without soldering, check ebay or search AK for one of our members here who specializes in bulbs for vintage stereo gear, sorry, blanking on his handle but someone will come in soon with it.

This does assume that the lights have all burned out (it is 30+ years old) and the power supply still works correctly.

Do you have any kind of digital volt meter handy? will be needed to do a little trouble shooting to be sure your amp is working correctly.

hi, i dont have a volt meter i will have to buy one.
How do i wire this amp? is it phono/rca x2 to xlr male?

No, use the 3 pin mini into the ipod/iphone headphone jack. The other end would be double rca males, that would plug into the back end of the 1/4 inch-RCA mono female jack adapter. Here's pics of the parts:

ses-ipod-rca03-0.jpg
SAPT100-2.jpg

Make sure the RCA end of the cable can split the two jacks wide because of the distance between the two channel inputs, almost 12 inches or more.

That will work fine. Less expensive too, and the first one with XLR inputs really doesn't get you anything since your ipod output is not balanced anyway.

The only reason I suggest the original 1/4-RCA adaptors is you can use the RCA plugs into any jacks that have RCA, like other receiver or amp inputs like Aux, Tuner, Tape, etc. Gives you the flexibility to have a preamp stage with tone controls or switching instead of tying the ipod directly to the amp only.

Then you can use standard RCA-RCA interconnects from the preamp outs to the amp.

Radio Shack probably has all the cables and adaptors, maybe at a bit higher price. Interestingly, Home Depot and Loews probably has them too, same with WalMart and Target in their electronics areas.

Good luck.

That will work fine. Less expensive too, and the first one with XLR inputs really doesn't get you anything since your ipod output is not balanced anyway.

The only reason I suggest the original 1/4-RCA adaptors is you can use the RCA plugs into any jacks that have RCA, like other receiver or amp inputs like Aux, Tuner, Tape, etc. Gives you the flexibility to have a preamp stage with tone controls or switching instead of tying the ipod directly to the amp only.

Then you can use standard RCA-RCA interconnects from the preamp outs to the amp.

Radio Shack probably has all the cables and adaptors, maybe at a bit higher price. Interestingly, Home Depot and Loews probably has them too, same with WalMart and Target in their electronics areas.

Good luck.

Great thanks you have been a big help, i ordered those on ebay, just want to test out the sound of the amp, i may get the 1/4 adapters after.

One last question though will this amp be ok with 6 ohm speakers?

Back
Top Bottom