Questions about room sound expected.

vonfatman

We recently built a home and one of the rooms is a storm/tornado shelter. It measures 657 sq. ft. The room is a mirror of the three-car garage above. It is concrete on all walls, ceiling & floor. A storm room.

It has a suspended/drop ceiling with fluorescent lights within the ceiling.

The walls have been studded and drywalled. The floor has an epoxy paint.

Inside the room are steel storage racks, a couple wooden benches, an oak desk etc.

To date, no rugs or other furnishings.

I have a couple old JBL speakers (1972) with some equally aged McIntosh equipment.

I'm thinking about using the room as a place to hang out and listen to tunes while doing other stuff.

The JBLs are the Sovereign type. The enclosures are 27" x 39" x 20"

The McIntosh equipment: MC2505 Amplifier, MR77 Tuner & C28 Pre-Amp.

Should this room be considered for my intended purpose?

Thank you.

Bob

I spend a lot of time in my 2 car garage 26 x 26 x 9. It's a great space for playing around. I have a bunch of different speakers, several amps, a sub and and Ikea Poang chair and footstool. I also have a pretty comfy office chair on wheels. I scored some used office dividers dirt cheap and I play with speaker position, and listening position in there.

Do you want audio perfection,or do you want to have some fun? I've been stunned and amazed at the sound I can get from different speakers and making various sized rooms with the office dividers ( they're 5' by 5' ). Of course my family thinks I'm totally nuts. Who am I to argue?

Noise Gate... I agree with you :thmbsp:!

A garage may not be the "ultimate environment".. but it can be a rather versatile one! My recently resurrected system is fitted into a wall mounted rack mount, which compliments a cd rack, which compliments a plasma t.v. console... which.. Need I say more?

So given some tailored speaker positioning, light to moderate E.Q., enough power to drive the speakers and a good comfy chair.. I think any garage or garage-like environment can be transformed into audio :angel: heaven!

But do get some wall/ceiling/flooring refinements to manage the acoustics .. I doubt one might enjoy an (( ))echo-ing(( )) environment for long!

Best of luck :bigok: !

Back
Top Bottom