Subwoofers under 150 new or used for music help

greg s

I'm looking for opinions on good subwoofers for music use only. They will be paired with magnepan mmg's. They will be ran out of a outlaw audio icbm-1 bass controller crossed at 60 hz. The room is 14x25 in dimensions. I don't like bic or Polk subwoofer quality control.

Thank you Greg s

I've owned some decent subs including a couple of Velodynes and a Bob Carver SunFire but these DIY bucket subs take the cake. You can build them for around $250 including the plate amp.

P5080061.jpg

For about the same price as the two buckets this single Parts Express Dayton 8" kit ( including amp ) is another great choice. Very musical, fast, and nothing like those one note plodding subs which cost about the same. A 12 year would find assembly pretty easy. Structurally it's very heavy and quite strong.

P7300001.jpg

I have the Pioneer SW-8 MkII - Andrew Jones SW. Pretty good for <$150 delivered. Somebody said these would better be called powered woofers, and I agree. Not a HT sub, but they do a very decent job of filling in the bottom underneath my bookshelfs.

deleted my post... saw that Polk subs are out in your original post... sorry about that

Last edited:
Just make sure you don't waste your money on a one note thud, thud, thud, wonder.

Some of those subs may plumb the depths and play very low but you can't tell one bass note from the other.

I agree that the Dayton subs offer a lot of bang for the buck and sound pretty damned good. Whatever you go with, you will probably want a sealed cabinet design to keep up with the "speed" of the maggies. With the size of your room, two smaller (like 8") subs would do a much better job than a single 12" or 15", since the 8" drivers are, again, going to have a faster response to keep up with the maggies.

Back
Top Bottom