Worst record you own?

baj81 said:
Hmmm......I have a few but the one that sticks out in my head the most is my copy of Dark Side of the Moon. The hold in the center is WAY off. It's not too terrible at the beginning of the record, but by the time you get to Brain Damage/Eclipse, lets just say things sound "interesting".
Despite all of this though, I just can't seem to part with it. I've been meaning to get my hands on the MFSL version which from what I hear sounds phenomenal. I have the CD version and wanna compare the two.
I have the 30th anniversary edition, which is one of the best sounding records that I own. You could do worse than getting that if the MFSL is too hard to find.

Thanks for the info. Part of it is too that I don't own any MFSL releases on vinyl. I remember seeing them advertised in Audio Magazine a good many years ago and I used to drool at the thought of owning many of their releases.

My "worst" (except possibly for recent acquisitions I haven't heard yet) is probably a Laura Branigan LP ("Greatest Hits" type compilation). I wanted some of her songs (mostly for sentimental/memory reasons) and bought the CD first. It was so over-compressed and tinny-sounding I really can't stand to listen to it. So after getting back into vinyl when I found a copy of the original vinyl version, I bought it, hoping to get decent sound quality. Unfortunately, it sounds like it was remastered and pressed from that awful, tinny "digital" sounding CD, instead of the other way around! :sigh: I have the feeling half the music she did might have been created digitally in the first place, instead of with real musicians, so a decent-sounding recording may never have existed (?). If not, then whoever mastered the thing should be banned for life from studio work.

I've had two different copies of Bob Welch-French Kiss that had terrible sibilance (ssss sounds on higher volume vocals). I'd really like to find one that sounds right. I also had a new Columbia 180g Bob Dylan-Highway 61 revisited that had 2 or 3 skips and some sibilance. I took it back and got an old original one.

Some Elvis Presley albums with electronically created stereo.Simply horrid. Sounds echoey and just unlistenable.The mono or "Living Stereo"(real stereo instead of fake) are much better.Of all the electronic stereo records I have heard RCA has to be the worst especially on some Elvis Presley records.

Nitro said:
I've had two different copies of Bob Welch-French Kiss that had terrible sibilance (ssss sounds on higher volume vocals). I'd really like to find one that sounds right. I also had a new Columbia 180g Bob Dylan-Highway 61 revisited that had 2 or 3 skips and some sibilance. I took it back and got an old original one.

The 45 of "Ebony Eyes" has the sibilance too.I've got several copies.I love that song though.

Aage said:
Anybody for James Last and his Orchestra? Maybe his brother Kai Winding...
You're kidding right? Last was German, Winding was Danish. Actually I like them both.

There are the whole series of LPs recorded very bad.. Why are they at me and what this? It is needed a little to tell a situation with vinyl in Soviet Union. Possibly you know it, and possibly this it will be interestingly. In times Soviet Union of LP with American and English music in power’s opinion was almost by the crime. Them it was possible to purchase only for a large money and at underground dealers. How now drugs. In the street a police arranged roundups and could with lp to grasp a man and keep in PD in an area. . For the sale of a few copies could an even cast into prison. Soviet laible Melody produced classic music mainly. (By the way, in a huge assortment and wonderful quality.) It is long to tell, but for the music lovers of growing in USSR western lp is this almost religion. I and me the similar test awe and internal trembling, getting in hands the American or English original lp.
Economic chaos began on sunset a CD era. Businessmen near to music took advantage of this. There was laible “antrop”. They let out the big assortment of lp with the records of the classics of rock. Beatles, LZ, DP, and many others like that. All of it recorded simply from CD. Quality of record simply absent. Digital sound under a pillow and blanket. Thin soft covers with the distorted picture. Such LPs and now cost no more than a 1 dollar. From one side this awfully. From other side, these people accomplished a big deal. They enabled to thousands of soviet music lovers to get their favourite music. Lets in bad quality. But to have. Now, when the internet and other attributes of western civilization appeared, I can one or two times in a month to buy at dealers original of Lp.
From all my original LPs The Sonics Boom on Northon recorded worse than all. But, this so, on an idea, and must be. Garage is he there is a garage. Sorry for long post.
Max

I picked up The RCA Victor "Pop" Showcase In Sound (RCA SPL 12-29 w/booklet) ca. 1955-56? [Mono] from the local good will, the record was in mint condition And I looked forward to the performances by Prez Prado and Colman Hawkins and assumed the sound would be wonderful since it was a dog well as the record stated it sounded great then towards the center of the record I heard a wow in the sound. I took the record off the TT and saw that the record was stamped slightly off center! What a dissapointment.:tears:

hakaplan said:
You're kidding right? Last was German, Winding was Danish. Actually I like them both.

Now, this recollection goes back 30 years, so is not to be taken as gospel, but in my mind they are family. Or maybe it's just because they sound so similar.

Insistant dance beat sprinkled with added "joyous crowd noises" isn't my thing, I guess. Want some more "Polka Party 3" and whatever version of "Non-Stop Dancing"? I can only handle so much of "cover" music.

Did either one of them ever write anything themselves? I can't remember anything like that, but again, I could be wrong.

ekmanning5 said:
I've got a James Galway record on Pickwick that is absolutely horrible. Also somewhere around here is a copy of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. The center hole must be off because when you play the title song it sounds like the whole band is drunk.

I think anything from Pickwick deserves this title - even the cd's they produce. Just elaborate beer coasters.

Marantz Man said:
I think anything from Pickwick deserves this title - even the cd's they produce. Just elaborate beer coasters.

I have to agree with you there. The Pickwick records that I have are REALLY garbage, brand new vinyl and clicks/pops all over them and sometimes the songs finish abruptly. They sound like they are copies from copies. Definitely stuff for the landfill

Back
Top Bottom