yes

tybrad

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi all,
I finally have my (incomplete) mid-century listening room mostly set up:banana:
It is tiny- only 10x10.5 and is very bright with echoes. I will deal with that problem with some wall-hung acoustic absorbers soon. So without further delay...

The equipment overview...
DSCF3068.jpg

My beloved HK TA5000X. I will be building a wooden case for it.
DSCF3072.jpg

My spinner... a Pioneer PL530. Yeah, I know, but it will be getting a new skin this summer- walnut or rosewood.
DSCF3074.jpg

Digital, EQ, and one of the KLH Six's. I will need to do some recapping on the speakers, and the CD/DVD will be upgraded at some point. iPod hidden behind it. Sony ICF 7600 back there as well for SW listening
DSCF3075.jpg

And some environmental pics. I have tried to use authentic mid-century items (lights in particular) and also with the incidental/ornamental things you see. That is my 60's/70's calculator collection in those glass towers.
dscf3069.png

DSCF3070.jpg

DSCF3071.jpg

DSCF3076.jpg

I just wish it were BIGGER! Oh well, can't have it all.

I think you have a "calculator" issue...

Very nice room!!

I have a, new to me, PL530 and am liking it. I actually "downgraded", if that's what you want to call it, from a Rega P2. Got tired of the fully manual. With the sale of my Rega I was able to get a very nice TT and a very nice CD/SACD player.

I think you have a "calculator" issue...

Very nice room!!

I have a, new to me, PL530 and am liking it. I actually "downgraded", if that's what you want to call it, from a Rega P2. Got tired of the fully manual. With the sale of my Rega I was able to get a very nice TT and a very nice CD/SACD player.

Why thanky! I went through a two year buying spree and what you see is thinned from what it was just a month ago.

I wish my TT repeated- there is something wrong with that function that I need to figure out (or that someone here can give guidance on (wink, wink... nudge, nudge...)). The arm returns and moves back just a little, but not to the record's edge, then drops.

Why thanky!
I wish my TT repeated- there is something wrong with that function that I need to figure out (or that someone here can give guidance on (wink, wink... nudge, nudge...)). The arm returns and moves back just a little, but not to the record's edge, then drops.

Wish I could help ya. I am all thumbs and am on the electronics short bus.

First of all, you have a really nice room! Great setup too.
Your repeat function issue is more than likely just an adjustment. You can probably download a service manual at Vinyl Engine which should tell you how to make the adjustment.

Very cool room.
Rygen, thanks for the look! I am all about mid-century right now.

First of all, you have a really nice room! Great setup too.
Your repeat function issue is more than likely just an adjustment. You can probably download a service manual at Vinyl Engine which should tell you how to make the adjustment.
Thanks Clyde... And thanks for the link- I'll check 'er out!

Small? I think not, it is "cozy" Great follow through Especially like the calculators. One suggestion however, ditch the cordless phone and get you a nice 50's basic black desk phone or better yet a real french desk phone. They were all the rage back in 60's where I lived. Everyone wanted to seem like they were sophisticated.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd love to do a room like that, on the bright side I have lots of room but alas, no time or privacy. Shared space.

Attachments

• Phone bwIg.jpg
    Phone bwIg.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 411
  • Phone221.jpg
    Phone221.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 411
Hey, your room looks great! I'm trying to convince my wife that mid-century is cool, but I think I have a ways to go...:sigh:

Very nice setup!

Luv the artifacts...

Rome
Thank you Rome... I'm trying!

A calculator collection... you ROCK! :)
Thanks mrz... it was my passion/obsession/psyche/money drain/disease for a while. I have several rare and/or collectible exotics:D

Small? I think not, it is "cozy" Great follow through- especially like the calculators. One suggestion however, ditch the cordless phone and get you a nice 50's basic black desk phone or better yet a real french desk phone. They were all the rage back in 60's where I lived. Everyone wanted to seem like they were sophisticated.

I'd love to do a room like that, on the bright side I have lots of room but alas, no time or privacy. Shared space.
Thanks for the comments Shackman (as in RS?). I'm not sure a rotary phone works on a digital line(?). I have thought about it though! It is cozy, but I prefer larger volumes of space for listening.

Nice! I love my 6's, have fun!
Thanky Fran! I will have to wait for my Six's to really show their worth (though they are not too bad right now).

Hey, your room looks great! I'm trying to convince my wife that mid-century is cool, but I think I have a ways to go...:sigh:
Greetings jhoyt, and thank you for the up's on my room. My wife has a somewhat picky mid-century aesthetic, but we're making due. She is opposed to the tension pole lamp that I have in mind:thumbsdn:, but she says it is really my call in the end.

Last edited:
Great space, nice speaker stands!

... you mean my $20 WalMart wooden stools? Yeah, I was seriously debating about that. The original intent was to use some Bose:tears: 901 tulip stands for them- more appropriate to the style of the period. In the end, I could not justify the $150 that they get and thought the KLH and stool woods were pretty well matched.

Thanks Chicks!

Love the calculator collection, any Braun calculators?
Nope, no Brauns. I do have other German ones though... Omrons, Elkas (well, geographically close to Germany), and Olympia.

Thank you Cary! It seems that the calcs are getting as much attention as the stereo and environment. Hmmmmm:scratch2:

Very nice room! I feel your pain about room size.

Have you experimented with toeing in your speakers a little?

Very nice room! I feel your pain about room size.

Have you experimented with toeing in your speakers a little?

Hi Jon!
I have toed them slightly in and I think that the imaging will be as good as it can be in such a small space. Thanks!

Sweet set up! I am impressed with how much "stuff" there is, yet no clutter! Somehow I can put one thing into an empty room and it will look cluttered. Of course the calculator collection is amazing! My heart was most touched by the 2 statues and the orange lamp.

Back
Top Bottom