The DIY Cornscala project

jhoak

Well… Not my first speaker build but certainly one of my biggest.

I got laid off a couple of months ago so I have a lot of time on my hands but not a lot of $$ to spend.

I’ve been thinking about a pair of Cornscalas for quite a while now. Selling my La Scalas at a good price was all it took to push me over the edge. For those unaware of the term “Cornscala” it’s the bass section of a Klipsch Cornwall (15” direct radiator) with the midrange horn and tweeter of the La Scala. The design was first proposed by Bob Crites a few years ago. There have been a LOT of Cornscala builds since then. What you’re about to see is my version.

Let’s start with the rough cabinets.

Cornscala.jpg

I went through a couple of different midrange horn versions before I stumbled across a pair of M Audio M2380 horns (clones of the JBL 2380 2” horns) and a pair of Selenium D405 2” drivers. With the very gracious help of Mr. Crites I was able to design an appropriate crossover.

CS-Crossover-V3.jpg

And get everything assembled in to something that actually resembled a pair of speakers.

CSProject4.jpg

CSProject2.jpg

From there they went (unfinished) to the living room for a couple of weeks of break-in and listening tests. Conclusion… VERY nice. Definitely worth veneering and keeping.

Which brings us to:

CS-OO-4.jpg

And finally:

System7-13-11.jpg

For the curious the driver compliment is: Crites CW1526C woofers, M Audio M2380 horns with Selenium D405 2” drivers, and Eminence APT150 tweeters.

Associated equipment:
Preamp = McIntosh C32
Amp = Bob Latino VTA/ST-120 with Tung Sol KT120s, Electro Harmonix 12BH7Gs, Psvane 12AU7, Weber CW68
Tuner = Teac T-R670 (a Sansui TU-417 is on its way to me)
CD Player #1 = Cary 300/303
CD Player #2 = Sony SCD-CE595
DAC = Emotiva XDA-1
Turntable = Dual 1249 & Ortofon Blue
Subwoofer = DIY 12" sealed subwoofer w/GR Research SW-12B & Dayton 250w plate amp
Interconnects = Mostly DIY built with a good RG6 and compression RCA connectors
Speaker Wires = Tributaries 12Ga with Nakamichi locking banana connectors

Preliminary VERY unscientific testing using my ancient Onkyo M-506RS amp and a Rat-Shack SPL meter tells me that they put out somewhere in the 100dB to 102dB range at 1 watt. Pretty efficient. :) By that measure I should be able to drive them to 114dB or so with the 60 watts from the ST-120 should the need ever arise.

Of course the obvious question is “how does it sound?”. Let’s just say that I don’t have the words. The ones that immediately come to mind would be censored.

Last edited:
They are simply awesome, if they sound half as good as they look you must be very please indeed!

Damn, those are nice!

Love the internal layout with the bracing and dampening, it looks factory!

There must be an immense feeling of satisfaction every time someone asks what speakers are those, and you can say you built them your self.

There must be an immense feeling of satisfaction every time someone asks what speakers are those, and you can say you built them your self.

You have NO idea how much fun that is. My friends say "where did you get those" and I say "I built them". The usual response is "BULL$^%*" but i can honestly say "Yes I did".

Of course when they ask how much to build them a pair they CHOKE on the number. I may be cheap but my work ain't "free" ;)

They must be some of the cleanest looking DIYs out there.
Love the design, using a 'similar' DIY speaker system here at home (3-way, horn-based, 15" woofer).
BTW, good luck with job hunting.

Damn, those are nice!

Love the internal layout with the bracing and dampening, it looks factory!

What he said. I just finished my own speakers, and not only do they sound outstanding but I know just how they are built, etc.

Thanks so much for sharing.:music:

I wanna know how you got the stepstool in the speaker? :D

You should edit your profile to include your location, other members might pay for your skills.

I wanna know how you got the stepstool in the speaker? :D

You should edit your profile to include your location, other members might pay for your skills.

I was wondering who would comment on the stool.

I have now added my location to my profile.

Many thanks to all for the kind words. I am really enjoying them. I did take a momentary opportunity last night to let them "stretch their legs" a bit. I'll just say that they sound just as good at high volumes than they do at my "normal" listening levels.

You said you got laid off. A friendly suggestion that you might consider going into business for yourself. I think we can see some possibilities in that regard above. Best wishes.

You have NO idea how much fun that is. My friends say "where did you get those" and I say "I built them". The usual response is "BULL$^%*" but i can honestly say "Yes I did".

Of course when they ask how much to build them a pair they CHOKE on the number. I may be cheap but my work ain't "free" ;)

:) That's why I can't wait to finish my car! (and start building audio gear too)

Those are really nice looking. I have been looking at those. I showed a musician friend of mine last night and he said "wow" He's going for a new 5.1 surround system, and I am leaving that going back to two channel. As soon as I get my residence back from soon to be ex wife, the plans are already to start building. Very nice.

Back
Top Bottom