Dual 1229 strobe intermittent.

AAA3330

Not a major deal, but I've noticed that the strobe light on my 1229 is kind of flaky. After starting the turntable, it normally takes a few seconds to come on and acts kind of intermittent. I looked at the bulb and cleaned it's contacts. With the platter removed, the light appears constant.:scratch2: Does anyone know if this is normal or what may be causing this?

I know mine comes on and stays on till the deck shuts off.
Maybe something going on at the other end in the black plastic box under the deck(motor connections and sw), strobe I think connects to pin 5 and 6 in there according to the manual.Id make sure things were clean and fit snugly. According to them its either there, the wire, or the bulb. But they are also thinking works/doesnt work, they dont address intermittent.
After that whats left assuming the strobe paper is attached to the platter well and the periscope mirror isnt bouncing around?

IIRC it's a NEON Bulb. The bulb in my 29 was doing the same thing 5 years ago when I got it. I reversedthe bulb and it ceased the intermittent. Cleaned everything in the circuit and its been working since.

Larry.

Probably the neon bulb is dying, or the dropping resistor to it has gone up in value. I've been told the reversing thing works, makes no sense to me but I've never tried it either. Worth a shot at any rate. When the one in my Garrard went flaky, I replaced the bulb with one out of a cheap electrical voltage tester that I got at the flea market for 25 cents. Got 4 bulbs out of that thing.

I just reversed the bulb and it works. It's nice and bright and no more flickering or delayed start. Thanks guys.

Old thread, I know. But still relevant to these old Dual tables even 9-1/2 years later. Thanks to all contributors.

Back
Top Bottom