Acoustech Stereo Amplifying System?

dr.ido

So I go out to this guys place following a line on some possible gear. I was told he had a couple of things he wanted me to fix and I could just take the rest. It turned out to be pretty much a complete bust. The stuff that I could just take was total junk. The rest was either stuff he wanted to keep for himself or average stuff that he wanted stupid prices for.

This Acoustech was one of the ones he wanted to fix. I've never seen one before, or even heard of the brand.

acoustech.jpg

The front panel is champagne gold, so the yellow look is not entirely due to my bad lighting. It's not just an amplifier it's an "Amplifying System". Nice chunky metal knobs, the orange plastic push buttons look out of place next to them.

acoustechinside.jpg

It is constructed on edge cards in point to point wired backplane. It's a bit hard to see in the picture, but all the transistors (except the outputs) are in sockets. Cards and socketed transistors are something I expect to see in old test equipment, not an amplifier. All the transistors are RCA Germanium.

acoustechback.jpg

Well, this was one oddball that went back to where it came from. I lost interest in it myself when I saw the Germanium transistors.

Anyone else seen or owned one of these or any other Acoustech gear?

Mid-sixties, early transistor gear. Note the transistors are in sockets rather than soldered directly to the boards. Lafayette has 'em in their '66 catalog.

Can you say AR? This is obviously from the same factory that built the AR integrated amp. How well I remember the Doors 20th Century Fox at 10pm thru AR 4x speakers, Dual tt, and the AR amp.

Acoustech amps. Is this one still around?

Wow! I bought one of the integrated amps when they first hit the shelves in about 1966 or 67. They looked like miracles, all in one amazingly light package with 30 watts per and a dampening factor of around six million. Sounded great but blew transistors like watermelon seeds.

Germanium transistors-- what's wrong with them?

Steve

Early SS pioneer company that put out some nice products. Having no experience or other designs to draw from there were early problems that the company worked out as they were discovered to the point that the later productions were pretty reliable. Admittedly, throughout the lifespan of the germanium transistor as the predominant device device failure was an issue. More an issue of the device than the circuit design.

The also made a preamp and power amp. Most of them on the market today have seen hard use and the faceplates have not weathered well.

The company was eventualy bought out by Koss from memory and it produced the lineup under its name for a period about the time that the company was producing the Koss 1 speaker.

Take some time to bring it back, do not push it hard, keep the speaker load at 8-16 ohms, the high side better and not too complex a load and you should be happy.

There is Acoustech equipment in the late 1960s Allied and LRE catalogs I have. I can post some scans sometime later this weekend if anyone's interested.

Looked like pretty serious stuff.

For anybody wondering, Acoustech was founded out of Ann Arbor, MI by a former DCM employee, Tom Munsell. He just recently passed away two weeks ago.

Wow! I bought one of the integrated amps when they first hit the shelves in about 1966 or 67. They looked like miracles, all in one amazingly light package with 30 watts per and a dampening factor of around six million. Sounded great but blew transistors like watermelon seeds.

Germanium transistors-- what's wrong with them?

Steve

Germanium transistors whether in small signal or power devices were available before the silicon transistor took over the lead. Silicon could take higher temparatures than germanium so development favored the new, and eventually took over most new devices. Acoustech, in addition neglected to address the issues of excessive currents in driving loudspeakers, apparently designing their amplifiers assuming resistive loads. But since loudspeakers have large variations in impedance and work more like motor/generators rather than simple resistors. Their only method of protection against improper loads and short circuits, was a fuse. Usually the fuse would outlast the more fragile power transistor. And if it was substituted for a smaller one, one would have to keep changing the fuse whenever a crescendo was encountered. Acoustech as an amplifier, never survived the grade.

Wayne Chou

Back
Top Bottom