Top Ten Worst Transistors - noisy, failure-prone, whatever... and replacements

I haven’t heard anyone else mention that one. Are there any threads here on AK that talk about it?

@dlucy, is 2a561 on your radar?
It shorts out. I my case it took out a power rail in a Yamaha C-1 PSU.... It created a messy chain reaction. I found another one shorted in a separate instance in a different circuit. I now replace them, particularly when used in a PSU circuit.
I am interested if anyone else has found the 2sa561 to be problematic.
More than likely something took it out in the "chain reaction". Possibly a power surge or something. They're normally not troublesome.

More than likely something took it out in the "chain reaction". Possibly a power surge or something. They're normally not troublesome.
actually I chased it as the source of the chain reaction...the consequence was a shorted 3W resistor from rail to ground and a glowing 3W resistor can put holes through things...before they go out themselves. Nasty stuff....

I see the transistor used on signal handling so I guess it will not a a problem there so maybe the problem is circuit specific...

actually I chased it as the source of the chain reaction...the consequence was a shorted 3W resistor from rail to ground and a glowing 3W resistor can put holes through things...before they go out themselves. Nasty stuff....

I see the transistor used on signal handling so I guess it will not a a problem there so maybe the problem is circuit specific...
Huh, I've never seen a resistor short.. :dunno:

Yep, it happens. Drifting way away... happens. Faulty new from modern manufacturers... happens. I guess what I've learned is "trust... but verify. twice."
Oh, I've seen them drift up, and up.... until they go open. But never short to 0 Ohms...

Oh, I've seen them drift up, and up.... until they go open. But never short to 0 Ohms...
well....I meant the transistor went short...hence closed the circuit between the power rail and ground via a 22ohm 3W resistor ...hoping this simplified description makes more sense :)

Last edited:
I was wondering if their are any higher gain subs for the 2SC871 (since the higher gain version of the KSC1845, nor the BC550C, are apparently no longer available)? Thanks!

The 2SC1060 was a TO-220 device that developed intermittents. It was so bad that when I worked at Allied Radio they simply were replaced on sight. The 2SC1061 was the replacement but itself was also dodgy. It seems unlikely that either of these devices would have survived this long but by some crazy chance they did they are properly replaced by the 2SC789.

While troubleshooting another Allied Receiver 490 for intermittent distortion in the left channel power amp, the following replacements seem to work quite well.

I replaced the 2SD92 with 2N3584 temporarily, but the originals turned out to be fine.
I replaced the 2SA497 with a 2N5322. This fixed the intermittent.

What about the 2SC633 , 2SC634 ? These seem to have the same specs as the 2SC631,2SC632 per Japanese trans, book. I'm working a Sony STR6065 that has the 2SC 632 ,633, 634 throughout. The Sony paper has the 631 listed but it wasn't used on my unit.

What about the 2SC633 , 2SC634 ? These seem to have the same specs as the 2SC631,2SC632 per Japanese trans, book. I'm working a Sony STR6065 that has the 2SC 632 ,633, 634 throughout. The Sony paper has the 631 listed but it wasn't used on my unit.

have you noticed them going noisy?

Back
Top Bottom