What Ever Happened To Mini Disc?

What I don't understand is why the format faded away. MDs were as convenient as CDs, re-recordable like tape but with the ability to access, rearrange, drop and add tracks. The ATRAC compression was better sounding than cassettes and not very far behind CDs (at least in my opinion....I listen to a lot of crap).

Was it a question of too many competing formats, like with Beta and VHS. DAT seems to have faded away as well.
So did mini diwsc die because it was inferior or was it a case of bad timing?

There are a lot of reasons MiniDisc never was popular. The article at Wikipedia goes through many of them:

Sony's MiniDisc was one of two rival digital systems, both introduced in 1992, that were targeted as replacements for the Philips Compact Cassette analog audio tape system: the other was Digital Compact Cassette (DCC), created by Philips and Matsushita. Sony had originally intended Digital Audio Tape (DAT) to be the dominant home digital audio recording format, replacing the analog cassette. Due to technical delays, DAT was not launched until 1989, and by then the U.S. dollar had fallen so far against the yen that the introductory DAT machine Sony had intended to market for about $400 in the late 1980s now had to retail for $800 or even $1000 to break even, putting it out of reach of most users.

The initial low uptake of MiniDisc was attributed to the small number of pre-recorded albums available on MD as relatively few record labels embraced the format. The initial high cost of equipment and blank media was also a factor. Mains-powered hi-fi MiniDisc player/recorders never got into the lower price ranges, and most consumers had to connect a portable machine to the hi-fi in order to record. This inconvenience contrasted with the earlier common use of cassette decks as a standard part of an ordinary hi-fi set-up.

MiniDisc technology was faced with new competition from the recordable compact disc (CD-R) when it became more affordable to consumers beginning around 1996. Initially, Sony believed that it would take around a decade for CD-R prices to become affordable – the cost of a typical blank CD-R disc was around $12 in 1994 – but CD-R prices fell much more rapidly than envisioned, to the point where CD-R blanks sank below $1 per disc by the late 1990s, compared to at least $2 for the cheapest 80-minute MiniDisc blanks.

The biggest competition for MiniDisc came from the emergence of MP3 players. With the Diamond Rio player in 1998 and the Apple iPod, the mass market began to eschew physical media in favor of file-based systems.​

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniDisc

Some people also did not want a lossy format and then there was the copy protection that they built into the system (you can read about those things at the link above; I did not want to quote the whole article).

I remember at the time thinking that the format was mildly interesting, but I did not ever buy one. I had a CD player, and I did not care about having a smaller thing, so the only issue was being able to record. I still had my old cassette deck from many years earlier, so I could record audio if I really wanted to, but I mostly was listening to prerecorded music anyway, so that was not necessary for me. (And, like practically all CD players, I could program it to only play some of the tracks, or just push a button to skip a track on the spur of the moment, if I did not want to listen to all of the tracks.) I suspect that a lot of people felt about it as I did, that the cost/benefit ratio just did not make me want yet another format. I did not really need the record capability, and there just was no other reason to get it.

[Given my preferences, I would have wanted to get a DAT rather than either the MiniDisc or DCC, if I needed to record something digitally (instead of just settling for a cassette recording). I don't like lossy formats, if I can avoid them. But I did not need such a thing, so I did not buy one of those either.]

Frankly, I am glad I never bought one. If I want to make something that other people can hear, I can make a CDR, which more people will be able to play than if I gave them a MiniDisc. And the fidelity is better (not being lossy). Of course, now, many people don't bother with a physical format at all, and just deal with streaming and files.

So, I think it failed because it cost too much for whatever benefit it might have given people, according to the standards of most people. Including most audiophiles.

I did not see that Mini-Disc failed, or that DAT failed. They just became obsolete with the appearance of CD-R and mp3 technologies, which was seen by the professional and consumer electronics markets as being better for desired pleasures than the earlier technologies. I purchased a $17,000 Sony DAT Editing System in the mid 90's, which was made totally obsolete when it became possible to email mp3 files. Today, I don't have a clue to what's on the horizon in consumer electronics, which will be seen as "better" than existing means to enjoy recorded music. My best guess is high resolution multi-channel audio/video streaming via smart phone to TV and an array of wireless powered speakers, which would eliminate the need for expensive AVRs, Pre-Pros, Power Amps, and Integrated Amplification. Of course, my best guess is not a guess at all since Smart Phones are already delivering music streams to mono and stereo wireless speakers.

Was going through a box and found the three pre-recorded albums I have. One is a Sinatra Greatest Hits and the other two are jazz albums of the fusion variety. Looked on the bay and these things go for some serious buck sometimes. I got them for cheap at GW. Only time I have seen at a thrift.

i have several home decks and portables....Hi Md included....I bought all the last blanks that crutchfield had :)

the ability to record cds digitally onto md is really nice

to know MD is to love MD !

What happened to mini disc was same thing that happened to DAT, mp3.
Mp3 had absolutely zero effect on the success of DAT, for what it's worth.

And Minidisc had already failed to catch on in the States by the time mp3 gained traction with consumers (it had a good 6-7 year head start in the marketplace before most people had even downloaded their first mp3).

It's not as though mp3 swooped in and killed it; it was never popular here in the first place. The vast majority of American consumers never even heard of it.

The players and blank discs were far too expensive for their target customers upon launch, and Sony never did an amazing job at positioning the format as a recordable medium. If they had taken a loss on players at launch, like they do with their video game consoles, and flooded the market with cheaper discs to get a large installed user base, maybe things might have turned out differently here?

Last edited:

And Minidisc had already failed to catch on in the States by the time mp3 gained traction with consumers (it had a good 6-7 year head start in the marketplace before most people had even downloaded their first mp3).

It's not as though mp3 swooped in and killed it; it was never popular here in the first place. The vast majority of American consumers never even heard of it.
DAT was the defacto post production radio commercial distribution medium until email allowed distribution of commercials via mp3. This made DAT obsolete overnight; thus, mp3 had 100% effect on DAT viability as a useful medium for broadcast, recording, and distribution. mp3 also ended the reign of mini-disc, as well as CD-R.

The players and blank discs were far too expensive for their target customers upon launch, and Sony never did an amazing job at positioning the format as a recordable medium. If they had taken a loss on players at launch, like they do with their video game consoles, and flooded the market with cheaper discs to get a large installed user base, maybe things might have turned out differently here?
I agree with you. MD was not defeated by anyone, it just did not gain popularity like LP, Compact Cassette, and CD. It's like a single that barely climbed to No. 50 in the top 100 charts, and then faded away, never made it into the Top 10.

We can say these:
1. CD killed LP, when LP used to be THE music format that an average teenager would buy, globally.
2. CD-R killed Compact Cassette, when CC used to be THE recording format that an average teenager would buy, globally.

MD has never gained similar kind of market status like LP nor CC, except perhaps in Japan.

Just happened to be looking up a receiver in "Audio" Magazine from Dec 1992 and saw 2 minidisk articles that might be interesting. Page 56 has an article on the mechanics of them, and page 33 compares them to digital compact cassettes.

index: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Audio-Magazine.htm

direct Dec 1992 PDF link:
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/90s/Audio-1992-12.pdf
Thanks a lot! Beside the two articles on MDs, I also enjoy these old mags, they give us a glimpse of the good old days of vintage hi-fi!

Can you point us to more locations for other old magazines?

I am 54 and have had my hearing tested for the job my whole life. My high frequency hearing is fine still. While your general statement is not wrong it is very individual dependent ;)
MD is a great format. Easy to use and you can edit after a MD is completed unlike CD. I presently have 3 different decks and 2 portables along with a Sony Car MD/Radio. I recorded all my music I played on a radio station for a 4 year period and listen to the format often. Anyone looking for a nice car MD player.

Minidisc still has a small but devoted following. I am one of the followers! I have 5 component decks and about 6 portables. Also around 300 blank discs. The main followers are European although the U.S. enthusiasts are around too. The sound of a properly recorded minidisc really is indistinguishable from a CD by about 90% of those that listen. At that point the uniqueness and tactile traits of the minidisc are what endears it to those who know. The disc is protected. No where near the failures of a CDR! The ability to title and tag the discs adds to the tactile fun.

The post recording editing features of the MD are amazing. They give a much more consistent recording quality than the cassette format. No wow or flutter, and consistent playback on any player. Of course the capacity, portability, and at hand convenience is not as good that of an MP3 player or an audio FLAC player like the FIIO and others but that is what MD enthusiasts treasure. They have something durable and tactile to hold in their hands and a format that requires some effort to record unlike just "downloading some music". The finished product held in your hand .....80 minutes of near CD quality sound tagged and titled in a solid form kind of like a miniature non fragile LP. Whats not to like?

You would be amazed at how the recordings I make from Amazon Ultra HD by direct digital to one of my component units with the "Type R" recording feature sound. So I am not going to tell you because the price of blank MD's and player/recorders won't go up any more than they already have. That leaves more stock for those of us who already appreciate the MD format.

The SQ differences of recording to MD vs. recording to DAT "back in the day" were noticeable.
Still are. I'm still recording to DAT these days. Mostly, I record environmental sounds, like thunder showers, to a Sony TCD-D8/SBM pairing and then edit from a PCM-7010F to another PCM-7010F. These works are so lifelike it's scary.

That was my stealth setup. Core Sound High End Binaural HEB (Danish Pro Audio DPA 4061 + PS)>SBM-1>D7/8. Line-in, levels taped to anywhere from 7.5 to 10 and good to go.

I had MD from day one with the MZ-1. I had more MD equipment than I can remember (I worked in the biz back in the day).

Had MD in some of my old cars. A MD changer in my 93 Probe GT and then an Alpine CD/MD unit in my SVT Focus. That Alpine was a kick-ass head unit.

Also had the Sony MDS-JA50ES. An absolute beast of a MD player.

I still use MD to this day. What a great format...

IMG-3744.jpg

EPSON003.jpg

IMG-7691.jpg

IMG_6470.jpg

Back
Top Bottom