CA 1000...sounds great but should I switch to tubes??

MadcapLaughs

So I love my CA 1000 amp but I have an opportunity to swap for a HH Scott LK 72 integrated tube amp. My question is regarding the output of the Scott vs the Yamaha. Is a 36 wpc tube amp able to compete at all with the output of the Yamaha's 70 wpc SS output? I like to crank music fairly loud (not earth shattering). I am using Altec 890c boleros currently and would keep them for the Scott should I get that. Thanks for the input! The Scott has new caps and tubes, all serviced.

The Yammy, especially if properly serviced, should be maintainance free for years if decades. The Scott will need occasional tlc aftet a proper overhaul to maintaine top performance.
Sonically, some listeners find a beguiling je ne sais quoi to listening thru a properly functioning tube amp.

If you can spend a few days with it in your system before making the deal, that will guide your prioritues.

Other people's opinions don't count. Don't bother with tubes if $ is an issue. It's your bus, & you gotta drive it.

Definitely a personal choice.
Lots of people love SS sound of a million different flavors and are spot on but lots of other people like the tube sound of a million other different flavors and they are also totally correct.
See if you can swing a week long audition or week long swap before you commit. That way you both have a chance to see what's what.

I think they're going to sound a bit different. The Yamaha would be cleaner and leaner, which the Scott warmer and fuller. I think it really depends what kind of sound you're looking for.

If you could improve one thing about it the sound you're getting, what would it be?

I'd consider having both if that was an option.
But a Yamaha Class A amp is just a thing of sonic beauty (especially in that mode), and having had a few in my life I could never imagine going back.

As others said it's a personal choice and a week-long audition would be wise before parting with your baby.

Well the Scott has all new tubes installed and new caps with service receipts. It apparently needs no service at this point. CA 1000 has not been recapped but everything works on that and it sounds great. So aside from new tube costs down the road it seems like a good choice. My real concern is what the the power output of the Scott would be. The altecs have a 97db efficiency rating. I just don't want to give up the power capabilities of the Yamaha but I am very interested in getting the real tube sound. I will be able to test this weekend

Back
Top Bottom