Hallicrafters S-77

rjag46

Just picked this up, can anyone tell me what the red plug connected to the original one is ? all it says is 125 V 300 W:scratch2::scratch2:

Last edited:
Nice receiver ! Made back in the days when there was actually something worth listening to on the shortwave bands.....

Hmm, might be some type of voltage dropping device....you should measure the output voltage to see if its lower than the input. Ideally
you should run an old tube receiver like that between 110-115 VAC.

Last edited:
short wave

Thank,s for the info so far guys. appreciate it. will probelly hold off on the gfi and see if i get any more info. Trying to clean her up, but can,t seem to get the knobs off. really small screws. not sure if thier philips or allen ?? these old eyes aint as good as they used to be. cheers!:thmbsp:

I belive the screws are allen and the set is a hot chassis unit version of the s-85.

Get one of those bench lights with a magnifying glass built in!

And if it's a hot chassis, do not lick while operating. :D In fact I would think about a total recap and polarized cord install before using it. If you have an isolation transformer that would help some in the meantime.

Fairly certain it's a line filter.

Yep, sold through KMart, auto stores, electrical houses, and drug stores as an add-on item. Claimed to keep noise out of the gear with all sorts of wild claims of protection (sound like Monster Cables? - it should).

On the Halicrafters, many now-grown men started with those radios listening late into the night when they should have been asleep.

The glow of the dial in a dark room, headphones on, these boys were discovering there was a far larger world out there than just their little town as Radio Netherlands, HCJB (Equador), the BBC and other big signals rained down on the bare wire strung through some trees.

Some of us couldn't afford a Halicrafters - or didn't know anyone who had one. Others like me just ordered a Heathkit short wave radio and built it ourselves. Who knew that would lead to a career in computers.....

Cheers,

David

Hiya,

Who knew that would lead to a career in computers.....

Oh that is what happened to me. I was always wondering. :)

Nice radio a keeper for sure.

Frannie

The glow of the dial in a dark room, headphones on, these boys were discovering there was a far larger world out there than just their little town as Radio Netherlands, HCJB (Equador), the BBC and other big signals rained down on the bare wire strung through some trees.

Some of us couldn't afford a Halicrafters - or didn't know anyone who had one. Others like me just ordered a Heathkit short wave radio and built it ourselves. Who knew that would lead to a career in computers.....

Cheers,

David

Yep, that's exactly how I spent a large part of my childhood :music:

I was 13 when my father purchased a used Heathkit GR-64....
still have that radio today, and it still works ! I also had a bunch
of QSL cards from those stations like BBC, HCJB, VOA, etc....

Halli made some of the nicest looking gear of the day. Very nice.

Yep, that's exactly how I spent a large part of my childhood :music:

I was 13 when my father purchased a used Heathkit GR-64....
still have that radio today, and it still works ! I also had a bunch
of QSL cards from those stations like BBC, HCJB, VOA, etc....

Ha! That's the very radio I built, too. I even invested to buy the Q-multiplier for it, too. I don't know what happened to it, actually. Frankly, since it was my first ever kit, I really wouldn't want to see the quality of the soldering! It did do magic for a junior high school boy, though....

Cheers,

David

Back
Top Bottom