Kenwood KT7500 assistance

gyrene

No Marconi:Gomer MacGyver
My KT7500 is an old dog but still plugging away.
I bought it used...of course and the mods make it sound great.I'm very happy with what I did.

Some of the mods to it can be found here: http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/DIY.html#KT-7500

The one titled: John Camille's snubber circuit has got me stymied.

Here is what it says: (2) I added John Camille's "snubber" circuit after the fuse and before the transformer. The snubber circuit consists of two 10-Ohm, 5-watt resistors in series with the AC wires. One resistor is in series with the hot and one with the neutral. On each side of the resistors and strapped between them are two .01 µF 400-volt or higher disc capacitors. Don't use some generic film cap because of its unknown time constant. Next raise the power transformer 1/2 inch off the chassis on INSULATED standoffs so the transformer is not grounded to the chassis. I also replaced the power cord with a heavier gauge polarized cord. I oriented the cord for the least AC leakage, measured from the chassis to ground

Is it going to look like this:

AC hot >10ohm 5w > .01uF>pcb?
AC neutral >10 ohm 5w> .01uF>pcb

Thats it? If it works...how does it work? Whats it doing? Shunting stray signals to ground?

Has anyone any experience with the KT7500 and mods done to it?

I modified my Kenwood KT-7500, you can see the pictures on the link below.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=5322964

I didn't do the snubber circuit thing however. I wonder exactly how much of a difference it would make? I took the AC off the PCB, and isolated the transformer, and increased the values of some of the capacitors as per the FMtuner link.

Lee.

Wow yours is clean.Mine spent its entire life before me in a horse stable and it smells like it too.
Nice pics thanks for showing.
About your decoupling caps.What value and are they jumping pins 4 and 8 to standoff 30?

I use the output level and the preamp volume control in sync with each other.Both at 9 o'clock and on like that.

The spoken word on this sounds a little old school to me.So clear and I can hear studio background noise too.I see that Pete Fornatale has passed away and thinking back to the 70's he is like the standard against which I unknowingly measure FM broadcast.Nowadays all the hyper crap and rapidocheapo chatter is not at all entertaining and I loved his sort of mature approach he brought to his broadcasts.

Oh well this old dog is getting it done for me.I'm going to fiddle around with the antenna set up and see if I can clear out that small bit of white noise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom