Martin Logan reQuests, Emotiva PT-100, Nakamichi PA-7AII

Silentnet

Made a new thread since the system changed so much.

My "source" is a PC/PS4 Pro/LG OLED run though an Emotiva PT-100 acting as DAC and preamp / volume control -- USB for the PC, TOSLINK for everything else -- to a first gen Adcom GFA-555 (true Nelson Pass design! ;)).

The reQuests are wired to the "panel" (non-sub) inputs with sub jumpers in place using no-name 12 gauge oxygen free copper. Spades on the speaker side, bare wires to the amp. I used the cheapy RCAs that came with the pre to connect to the amp, because I don't believe in witchcraft unless I'm sleeping with the witch.

There's an Infinity Entra Sub 2 sitting in a corner unused given the excellent low frequency response of the Martin Logans. If you think it'll help, speak up.

Having bought one GFA-555 I now need more. Love this amp. Planning to get 3 or 4 in the long term - 2 to bi-amp the Martin Logans and another for rear channels, maybe a third for sub(s).

Leaving the amp on 24/7 has "fixed" my speaker imblance (so it's probably a high voltage issue in one speaker). I intend to fix this at some point, but for now?

It. Is. Glorious.

IMG_20180425_202655.jpg
IMG_20180425_203546.jpg
IMG_20180425_203622.jpg

(Lighting, room shape and size, camera quality, all terrible. And it's a mess. Use your imagination?)

Last edited:
Thanks, man! I know you're in Columbia -- nearest member I've seen. Let me know if you need anything!
I appreciate that. Yeah, there's only a handful of South Carolinians on here. Currently, my audio quest is to round out my champagne gold Luxman collection - mainly with a M-02.

Finally got pictures up. Planning to completely re-arrange the space over the weekend in hopes of making it feel less cramped and get similar wall situations behind both speakers...

There's that moment where I think everything is broken, but on further listening via another discreet source -- say via the (sad) headphone amp in the PS4 controller, an alternate out on the pre, or my phone -- I realize 90+% of what I listen to is just horribly mastered....

Trash in, trash out. So true it hurts.

Is it weird I like it? Yeah, probably. I've had some real quality dynamic speakers in the past (A400s, AR3as) and I loved them, but I adore how the reQuests make me immediately aware of the failings of the source material.

Back
Top Bottom