MC 2505 replacement bulbs cost!!

rnk80

Just did some maintenance on the amp & noticed a bulb out on the right side panel. Well seeing as how they are the Original (around 35-40 yrs. old), Thought I might as well replace them all at the same time while I have the unit apart. Contacted Mac & boy, was I in for a surprise. For a set of the 8 bulbs, I was looking at a cost of $ 56.00 for the bulbs & $24.00 shipping = $80.00 US. Total
I live in Toronto, Canada. So with the Exchange rate factored in, These bulbs will now cost Approx. $100. Canadian!! Checked with Audio Classics & they were $3.00 more. Have not ordered them yet. Will try to see if I can find them up here in Canada first.
Note: Over all thinking is that for the time the Originals have lasted, except for one, and being on hrs. / day, that's pretty good value overall. Just the initial shock of the cost for such tiny bulbs amazes me. Ha Ha!
Ross - Toronto,Canada

Hmmm; that isn't quite as bad as the bulbs in the 1201's. There's a total of 28 at $9.00 each for the original incandescents. I was able to find led's for about the cost of 3 originals and they've been working fine for the past month. They also run cooler and consume 10 watts less electricity according to my kill a watt.

I picked up an led set off the bay recently for a good price. I like the light that they give better than the incandescent bulbs and figure they will last a good long while.

5 or 6 months ago another Canadian member also had quite the sticker shock over a Canadian made volume control that passed across the border twice and had a very large markup when sent in to Canada......it would seem American imports into Canada are not treated kindly.

That said the incadesents lamps Mac used are long life common bulbs, the generic part numbers are in the service manual you can access at the Akdatabase.

Digikey in Minnesota might be your best source if not available from a local electrical supplier.

Just did some maintenance on the amp & noticed a bulb out on the right side panel. Well seeing as how they are the Original (around 35-40 yrs. old), Thought I might as well replace them all at the same time while I have the unit apart. Contacted Mac & boy, was I in for a surprise. For a set of the 8 bulbs, I was looking at a cost of $ 56.00 for the bulbs & $24.00 shipping = $80.00 US. Total
I live in Toronto, Canada. So with the Exchange rate factored in, These bulbs will now cost Approx. $100. Canadian!! Checked with Audio Classics & they were $3.00 more. Have not ordered them yet. Will try to see if I can find them up here in Canada first.
Note: Over all thinking is that for the time the Originals have lasted, except for one, and being on hrs. / day, that's pretty good value overall. Just the initial shock of the cost for such tiny bulbs amazes me. Ha Ha!
Ross - Toronto,Canada

I just did mine and got the bulbs from Audio Classics, a little cheaper than Mc. Also, I only replaced the panel lamps and did them all while I was in there even though only one was out (the right one as in your case). I did not replace the meter lamps because they are all working and getting access to and replacing those is very easy,

Thanks all for the "input". Ya the cost shocked me! I have considered LED bulbs also, but they get a 50/50 review from AK members so not sure about them at this point. I like the fact that they produce much less heat, but some don't like the colour on some of them with some of the Mac equipment. I have looked at a kit on Ebay that looks promising by a "captainfantastic." Has good reviews & price even converted to Canadian $$ is still cheaper. Any one who has used them feel free to comment at this point.
As for the costs to bring things Canada, that is not as big an issue as is the difference between Our Dollar value and the American dollar. That's a killer.
Digikey has a Canadian website I have seen before so a good place to check out, along with some other local Electronic parts distributors.
Will have to do some more investigating before buying. After all, currently there is only One bulb out which is not to bad to live with. Ross.

I just did mine and got the bulbs from Audio Classics, a little cheaper than Mc. Also, I only replaced the panel lamps and did them all while I was in there even though only one was out (the right one as in your case). I did not replace the meter lamps because they are all working and getting access to and replacing those is very easy,
Yes the Bulbs are cheaper at AC, but their shipping to me in Canada is Higher. Example: Mac costs - 8- Bulbs $56.00 + shipping $24.00 =$80 AC Costs - 8 bulbs $48.00 + $35.00 shipping =$83.
Next to nothing overall on this order, but not sure if either one of them would ship one or two bulbs only which would due me for now.

Generally, there's a GE part number on the lamp itself. I've bought from McMaster/Carr to replace lamps. Chris' schematic would have the reference numbers. Not near any of my schematics as I'm on an emergency fishing trip.

Check out the bay. I got a decent set of bulbs for an MC2205 for something like $20 shipped if I remember right.

Check out the bay. I got a decent set of bulbs for an MC2205 for something like $20 shipped if I remember right.
So did I, and they lasted barely two years.
Be done with it and get them from Digikey using the right part numbers, lamps are not just lamps......You have to use the correct ones.

LED's are an option, and I fit them to customers units, but do not be fooled into thinking they'll last a lifetime either because they do not.

I have a Yamaha CA2010 coming back with some flickering LED's after only 12months.

I'd rather have an incandescent bulb just blow rather than an annoying flickering of an LED just before it blows...

Probably not a bad idea to get replacement color gels while yer at it. Those tend to go brown over the years and look like what brown stuff looks like ...

Generally, there's a GE part number on the lamp itself. I've bought from McMaster/Carr to replace lamps. Chris' schematic would have the reference numbers. Not near any of my schematics as I'm on an emergency fishing trip.

4 panel lamps: #1866, 4 meter lamps #1888. Note, I do not know if these change by serial number or in updated versions.

Last edited:
4 panel lamps: #1866, 4 meter lamps #1888. Note, I do not know if these change by serial number or in updated versions.

OK, I'm at my regular computer, the 1866 lamps are $9.53 for 10, the 1888's are $6.15 for 10. 1505K18 are the 1866's and 9527T188 are the 1888's.

They also have LED spec'd for those on the same page at way higher prices.

https://www.mcmaster.com/light-bulbs scroll down on the right side until you get to "Trade Number" and slide to whatever lamp you need.

Back
Top Bottom