My Dope Scale

All this talk of tone arm balancing has me wondering if I should had
disposed of my Triple beam.

$6.93...Got one! I wonder if the seller has noticed a surge in sales since this thread started?...

There may have been a little surge; I ordered the 200 gram model and received the 500 gram model. Of course now that I'm over a pound in capacity, the DEA may be watching... I can't imagine a pound of anything, other than gold or lead, fitting on this thing. Wish I had the gold to test with!!!

Did a quick check on a couple of tables... My Technics SL-D2 was spot on from 1 to 3.5 grams (used a couple of small Post-It notepads to raise the scale even with the LP surface). My Dual 1249 ran about a tenth of a gram light through its range. Tried three nickels, 5 grams each, Three silver dollars, .95 ounces for two of them and .94 for the third (a worn 1921).

These things are a hell of a value for 7 bucks!

I ordered the 200 gram model and received the 500 gram model. These things are a hell of a value for 7 bucks!

Me too. I think mine needs a calibration though. Seems to be off by about .5 grams based on my anti-skate weights. Need a 200g weight to do it - guess I'll have to go to the jeweler too.

Just saw the thread and broke out the scale from my younger days and the tracking weight seems to be right on track with the Shure balance and the tonearm weight markings...of course it is much more accurate.....great idea!

Way better than using any other tools!

I ordered the 200 gram model and received the 500 gram model.

Me three. Actually, I ordered the 300 and got the 500. It was spot on 5.0g with a shiny new nickel.

Boy did I have the BIC force way off. I must not be very good at visually balancing the arm. Was trying for 1.25 but this scale showed I was at 1.0g. Thought I was light but not by that much. Oh well, bumped it to 1.4g and now I must admit it sounds way better than it did.

Ed

I dont recall where, but somebody had run a series of measurements on the shure. Long story short they were surprised to see how accurate it really was.

also... no batteries or electronics to fart out

Hands get shaky when you're weighing "stuff"
Remember it's weigh then sample,not vice-versa

If you are SELLING, then it should be weigh, then sample.
No sense in giving away your own stuff; let the buyer sample his!

If you are BUYING, then try to do sample, then weigh.
No sense for paying for a sample!

Of course, take into account the attitude of the other party at all times. No sample is worth a bullet...

:D

Nice work on finding those scales! The other thing that is cheaper elsewhere than in their "audio" form, is spirit (bubble) levels.

Today, I took my Denon DP-2550 Table to my machinist friend, as I'm fitting an AQ PT-8 Tonearm to this Table, and need him to machine a new Armboard for me out of solid Black Acrylic.

Well, anyway, I knew he had a set of Lab certified calibration weights on hand, and been wanting to check the accuracy of the Pro Scale LC-50 Digital Scale I bought from Old Will Knott Scales some time back.

He was totally amazed that every reference calibration weight he had on hand from 1g, 2g, 3g, 5g, 10g, 25g, 50g were all dead on to .00g.
I was pretty amazed as well, that this Scale, that cost $32 shipped was that accurate.

I think I mentioned in another thread, that this Scale appears to be the exact same scale that Clearaudio is selling as The Weight Watcher Scale, for $225, and up. Mark

Last edited:
I think I mentioned in another thread, that this Scale appears to be the exact same scale that Clearaudio is selling as The Weight Watcher Scale, for $225, and up. Mark

i don't think it's exact, but it sure looks the same. the LC-50 is a 50G max, whereas the Clearaudio has a 20G max, but for 1/10th the price, it's probably worth it.

i think the clearaudio scale also has a little resting port for the stylus. look at these 2 pic, it shows a little extra piece outside the normal scale, probably level to where the vinyl would normally rest.

Attachments

• P1010063.JPG
    P1010063.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 16
  • CLEAWW-Large.jpg
    CLEAWW-Large.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for opening up this can of worms guys, another audio something I can't live without.
Is there a possibility that there are a number of use that are clones? A suprising number of us have or trains in the closet. I have HO and N scale. Made a great garage sale but , 3 N steam loco plus other goodies for $20 buck at a garage sale this year.

I too picked one up from e-bay and I have to say it work`s GREAT I have an old balance beam that was my dads,it`s german and VERY accurate and this little scale checks out on the money,they are SWEET for the price. Don`t know why anyone would use the old guage if they knew about these!!
:music::thmbsp:

well, I'm late to this party but early to the game, I guess... I stumbled over Old Will Knot on eBay about a year ago (thanks to someone talking up digital scales on AK), and picked up the LC-50 for about $12 shipped, IIRC. Came with a calibration weight.

Good news for me was - my Yamaha was within a few hundredths of a gram from a manual balance. :thmbsp:

Well, well, Paul, Louie and Scootchu--we should have our own railroad section. We could justify it by playing LPs of train sounds. Yes, my N-scale stuff is patiently waiting for me to get bored with records. :D
Add me to the list. HO. Layout currently gathering dust in my storage shed.

If you are SELLING, then it should be weigh, then sample.
No sense in giving away your own stuff; let the buyer sample his!

If you are BUYING, then try to do sample, then weigh.
No sense for paying for a sample!

Of course, take into account the attitude of the other party at all times. No sample is worth a bullet...

:D

Nice work on finding those scales! The other thing that is cheaper elsewhere than in their "audio" form, is spirit (bubble) levels.

You MIGHT know a lil' too much about all that Arkay.... but I guess we all have to support our habits somehow. :banana:

I use this one tho its branded different and a little cheaper cost wise.

i just got a similar one and was wondering do you remove the platter mat and put the scale directly on the platter?

Attachments

• gauge.jpg
    gauge.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 12
i just got a similar one and was wondering do you remove the platter mat and put the scale directly on the platter?

A couple of mm higher or lower won't really matter, unless you desire accuracy in the 1/100th g range. So, if you're happy with 10ths, you needn't bother. But of course there could be other reasons - e.g. an unsuitably profiled mat...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

A couple of mm higher or lower won't really matter, unless you desire accuracy in the 1/100th g range. So, if you're happy with 10ths, you needn't bother. But of course there could be other reasons - e.g. an unsuitably profiled mat...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

i have the KAB supermat for my 1200, so i should be ok. i just wasn't sure were i should be placing it.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom