New Tube Preamp - China - 12AX7

Snade

humble AK member
No review yet, I have not turned it on. More to come on this thread.

Background: I was looking at a popular tube amp kit web site and they were selling a tube preamp (assembled) made in China as their new low-cost option ($500 plus shipping). They gave it very good reviews. I did some searching on the big auction site and found a seller from Hong Kong selling what looked like the exact same preamp for about $310 including shipping to the USA.

So I took a chance and bought one.

It arrived at my door (today) only seven days after I ordered it on the auction site (DHL shipping Hong Kong to Florida).

It is a 12AX7 preamp based on a Conrad-Johnson circuit design (Shuguang tubes).

It uses a metal case (no venting??) and has a remote.

Here are some photos.

I will post a review here after I set it up and listen to it for a few days.

Cheers,

Snade

20190524_092128-1.jpg 20190524_092938-1.jpg 20190524_120512-1.jpg 20190524_105955-1.jpg 20190524_110429-1.jpg 20190524_110404-1.jpg 20190524_110448-1.jpg 20190524_110540.jpg 20190524_110758-1.jpg

Review in Post #11 below.

Last edited:
Background: I was looking at a popular tube amp kit web site and they were selling a tube preamp (assembled) made in China as their new low-cost option ($500 plus shipping).
I took a look and found out their phono preamp comes from China too. I purchased it months ago on the bay after I've read a large dedicated topic in another forum regarding a kit based on the EAR 834P . Half their price obviously... :rolleyes:
Curious to hear your impressions about this line pre. I guess it plays nice as their phono pre, but I'd like to know whether it is quiet or not, which is often a gamble with these cheap Chinese copies of famous designs.

No comments about the sound qualities (or lack of ?) but from what I can see Inside the build quality is first class and the parts used above average. At 310$ (including shipping) I would consider it as a bargain. This leave you some margin for tubes upgrades, if needed. Please keep us posted about your sonic impressions...

Some thoughts on the Zero Zone 12AX7 preamp.

I've got about 15 hours using it. It sounded good right off the bat.

The Zero Zone amp is well built. The volume control is smooth and the remote works well. The metal case seems very solid. It's not vented, but does not seem to get hot.

I'm using it connected to a good solid-state amp - the amp section of Sansui AU717 integrated. I don't currently have a tube amp.

Note, I used some early 60's tube amps and tuners a few years back, but I am not an expert in tube amps. I've heard some good tube amp setups over the years.

I know the sound of the Sansui integrated very well and this new preamp changed the sound big time. I was amazed from the get-go how the "tube sound" was so present - the sound had much more depth, more three-dimensional. It was a "wow" moment for me.

This preamp is also very quiet.

Played Neil Young's Down by the River from the Live at the Cellar Door. The acoustic guitar has a very rich tone and that live room sound is there. His voice sounds smooth and right there.

Played some modern jazz with a strong, bass line and the low-end is very pronounced with this tube preamp setup, but a little undefined and a tad flabby. For example, my NAD solid-state integrated produces a tighter bass line with slightly better low-end dynamics. But the overall sound is very pleasing with the Zero Zone preamp.

Played some live recordings of Diana Krall and these sound simply fabulous. I will not get tired of this sound.

No plans to change the Shuguang tubes. I like the sound and I have heard good things about the Shuguang 12AX7 tubes.

(Note, I have no opinion about the long-term reliability of this product and know very little about the company that made this product in China)

I will continue to test this preamp. So far, I'm pretty excited about this find.

Photo below (I know they should not be stacked this way, but we are experimenting right now ;)

Cheers,

Snade

Zero_Zone.jpg

Last edited:
@Snade That looks like a nice sounding set up!

I like tubes in the pre-amp. I tried rolling 4-5 different sets of 12AX7s in my pre-amp for fun. The differences were minimal, but the ones that stood out and I liked were a matched pair of used, vintage Amperex, Bugle Boys. I got on Bartertown. Full, tight and juicy.

Have fun!

It does look pretty well built. Having no vents kind of bothers me though.
Signal tubes don't produce as much heat as most output tubes, but a sealed box might get pretty warm. If it were mine I would probably run it with the top off. Or punch some holes in the top and bottom. A nice looking preamp though.

Nice looking unit... I've had a different experience with tube rolling though. A combination of better coupling caps (Dueland JAM) and mix of new (Tung Sol KT120, PsVane CV181-T + 1x Melz 6H8C hole plate)and NOS tubes transformed my Oldchen K3 into something really special. :)

Seems like a really good price even considering the purchase of their phono preamp you still at about $550 all in.

Is this pre dead silent with ears to speaker? Or does it have the typical tube buzz?

At high volume setting, ear to the tweeter, there is a noticeable buzz.

I am really enjoying this preamp. Right now I have it connected to the Main In of my NAD 3400 integrated amp - very nice rich sound, sounds good to me with any music. I'm going to keep this setup for a while and just enjoy it.

Cheers,

Snade

Nice that you took a relatively inexpensive flyer and it worked out.

The insides look well-thought out. Sorta reminds me of the simple layout of my ModWright tube pre/linestage.

I'm a big fan of a tube pre w/ solid state amplification.

I'm with @onepixel when it comes to NOS Amperex tubes, so I'm betting you will be itching to roll some in within the year. After all, this is a hobby.

Nice that you took a relatively inexpensive flyer and it worked out.

The insides look well-thought out. Sorta reminds me of the simple layout of my ModWright tube pre/linestage.

I'm a big fan of a tube pre w/ solid state amplification.

I'm with @onepixel when it comes to NOS Amperex tubes, so I'm betting you will be itching to roll some in within the year. After all, this is a hobby.

About rolling-in some tubes in the future, I bet you are right.

What I like about this current setup, the "tube sound" is there at low, moderate or higher volumes - that warmish, deep soundstage kind of sound.

It's pretty cool. All fun.

Snade

Back
Top Bottom