RIP Jim Winey of Magnepan.

jazzmans

Man, this one hits close to home.

I've loved magnepan ever since I first heard a pair of 3.3 in 1997 at shellys stereo.

My pair of 1.6QR get played every single day, ever since I bought them used in 2008 (I think)

thank you sir!

Wow, that is sad news. So many luminaries of the Industry have passed in recent years, incl: Arnie Nudell. R.I.P.

Ah damn ... that's sad news! RIP Jim!

I give credit to Mssrs Winey and William Zane Johnson (ARC) for spearheading the "high-end" audio scene in the 70s. In my area (NorCal) they really created the buzz. They were bucking all the conventional wisdom at the time. Love those Magnepans!

I've been listening to Maggies since 1980 (MGI Imp) which I still have doing HT duties. Currently my main system speakers are 1.7's. Thank you so much Mr. Winey for bringing so much wonderful sounding music to so many. Rest In Peace.

Nothing original to add, just echoing comments above and another RIP. I was way late to Magnepans buying a LRS+ pair less than two years ago. Wonderful (and remarkably affordable) speakers.

I've never heard a healthy pair of Magnepans, but I know that they are enormously popular and loved by many discerning audiophiles. We are losing so many mid century design giants. Rest In Peach Mr. Winey.

RIP Mr. Winey... thank you for leaving this world a better place.

I had the pleasure of getting to know his son Steve many years ago. He shared some personal info about his father and company that I treasured... made me love the Man and his Company even more.

The good news is the factory is still chugging away in White Bear Lake (a great hockey town). Looks like Jim lived across the highway in North Oaks, an area originally owned by one of the original railroad barons, James J. Hill. Now it's full of one of a kind, funky fresh mansions in a rolling wooded hilled area.

Back
Top Bottom