Some Empire Turntable History

I just bought a Empire 208 today, fitted what looks like a 298 arm. It comes with a Empire 108 cart. It is in terrific shape. The wood base is even in very good condition. It has the original manual as well as the paper work that came with the cart. and a receipt for a new belt that was purchased from Turntable Basics back in 05 The grommets look to be in fine shape. All lettering is intact and all metal parts are clean with no pitting. All for the sum of $ 225.00............:D

I live about 10 miles from Garden City. Next time I get up that way I may drive past the ex-factory just to see where it all happened. Who knows, maybe I'll find some goodies still laying in an alley or the weeds!

I just bought a Empire 208 today, fitted what looks like a 298 arm. It comes with a Empire 108 cart. It is in terrific shape. The wood base is even in very good condition. It has the original manual as well as the paper work that came with the cart. and a receipt for a new belt that was purchased from Turntable Basics back in 05 The grommets look to be in fine shape. All lettering is intact and all metal parts are clean with no pitting. All for the sum of $ 225.00............:D

Congrats!! Glad you got your hands on it. :thmbsp:

Congrats and welcome to the club!

The cat's outta the bag! :D
Damn, now I won't be able to afford them anymore! :no:

I've had a couple of them in recent years and they have a special hold on me.

I'm pulling a couple pictures in from other threads. Empire 208 fitted with a Clearaudio Satisfy Ebony tonearm:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just want one to stare at. Incredibly beautiful turntables. The gold and the proportion of the angular facets give it such a timeless look. I mean really timeless. It looks like something the ancient Egyptians could've made, or the Maya. Of course the original tonearm in gold adds to the formidable look. :drool::drool::drool:

Hello Lads,
You are right about timeless, this design would fit in the Art Deco age, the 50's streamline craze, Techno, Industrial, and will look contemporary 20 years from now.
The choice of that particular angle for the corners, and carrying that angle to the motor cover and the wood base, just captures and holds the eye.

I had a visitor ask me if this was a new European import, he isn't a audio geek like us, so I said "why yes, it is from a joint German, French audio design company, very exclusive"

I am such a stinker.
Donald Bowman

Don't know the model number.
Saw the auto lift in action, very neat! :thmbsp:

Attachments

• Empire Turntable 006.jpg
    Empire Turntable 006.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 427
  • Empire Turntable 002.jpg
    Empire Turntable 002.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 346
What would be a good cartridge for 78 RPM, beside the Shure M 78S.
My friend is using this turntable to play mostly old country and western 78 RPM.
I am urging him to get a different cartridge and a Spin Clean rcm.

Attachments

• Empire Turntable 004.jpg
    Empire Turntable 004.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 151
What would be a good cartridge for 78 RPM, beside the Shure M 78S.
My friend is using this turntable to play mostly old country and western 78 RPM.
I am urging him to get a different cartridge and a Spin Clean rcm.

Depends on your budget. A lot of people love the Grado 78 Cartridge(s). I swear by an old Stanton 500 with various styli sizes. (You can find a good selection of Stantons at http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/)

For an old Empire, I'd go with a Stanton, tracking at about 3 grams. Good match for the stock arm.

Thanks for the information! :thmbsp:
I will look up your recommendations in the cartridges and their prices.
I will try to find him something around the $100.00 area.
Will report back later.

How do you get inside the tonearm rest of a 598 to change the bulb? Where can one get this bulb?

Bulbs are available here:
http://www.turntablebasics.com/belts/empire.html
Scroll down to the bottom of the page. It's the second bulb listed on the page at the very bottom. (The one called "Empire Strobe/Illuminator Lamps 6W, 120V")

Replacement isn't too difficult. Unplug the turntable. Carefully turn the turntable upside down, or if you don't want to take off the platter, tilt it upward. Then locate the wires coming out of the armrest. You'll see them (two thickinsh black wires) going through a metal grommet. This grommet is the socket for the light bulb. Gently pry the grommet off with a small screwdriver. (It's friction fit into the bottom of the armrest). After you get the grommet/socket off, replace the bulb, and when done, push the socket back into the armrest.

The bulb assembly pulls out from underneath. I tried a screwdriver but a pair of channellock pliers works better - grab ahold of the edge and pull it out. The bulb is similar to an old style autmotive bulb but it's a 115V 6W bulb - maybe Home Depot has them.

Back
Top Bottom